| FTBL How many wins will South Carolina have this season? [Update: South Carolina season preview added]

4. Play 8 FBSchedules Top 25 Preseason ranked teams with about the best shot at winning one of those being against #25 ATM at home coming off a bye, with ATM facing LSU the week prior.

Last edited:
4. Play 8 FBSchedules Top 25 Preseason ranked teams with about the best shot at winning one of those being against #25 ATM at home coming off a bye, with ATM facing LSU the week prior.
I don't trust Shane. And, by that, I mean I do trust him to pull of a game or two that I didn't see coming. My gut tells me they are in the bowl game.

I don't trust Shane. And, by that, I mean I do trust him to pull of a game or two that I didn't see coming. My gut tells me they are in the bowl game.
ESPN FPI agrees with you. They project 6.

South Carolina Preview

When: 10/12 at 11 AM CT

Where: Tuscaloosa, AL

Coach: Shane Beamer, 4th season, 20-18 overall

2023 record: 5-7, 3-5 in SEC

South Carolina visits the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa week 7 for an early kickoff. Alabama will be 2 weeks removed from its showdown with Georgia, and fresh off a road trip at Vanderbilt. The Gamecocks will travel southwest a week after hosting preseason top 10 Mississippi. Alabama holds an 11-4 record all time against South Carolina, with the last win recorded in 2019 on the road with a final of 47-23. South Carolina’s last win against Alabama came against the #1 team in the country in 2010.

Offense:

South Carolina lost former Oklahoma starter and Heisman hopeful, Spencer Rattler, at quarterback to the 5th round of the NFL draft. Rattler started 2 years for South Carolina and finished with a career high 3,186 years passing in 2023. The Gamecocks produced 4 more 2024 draft picks, including first round selection and 1,200-yard receiver Xavier Legette, along with a cornerback and center on the offensive line.

South Carolina replaces Rattler with sophomore LaNorris Sellers. Sellers saw limited action in 2023, completing just 4 passes at a 100% completion rate for 2 touchdowns, while rushing for another. Sellers was a top 20 quarterback recruit in the 2023 class. Robbie Ashford, transfer quarterback from Auburn, may factor in at the position, as well. South Carolina adds former Razorback Raheim “Rocket” Sanders to its backfield. Sanders rushed for 1,443 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2022 before a disappointing 2023 campaign. The offense is rounded out with 4 returning starters on an offensive line that look to stay healthy after last season, 2 veteran tight ends, but little experience at wide receiver.

Defense/Special Teams:

Carolina lost a cornerback to the NFL and returns 8 starters from a mediocre defense in 2023. They have experience on the line and return first team All-SEC stud Debo Williams at middle linebacker. The defensive backfield returns both safeties, the starting nickelback, and 1 corner. At punter, the Gamecocks return former First-Team All-American Kai Kroeger.

Verdict:

The SEC did South Carolina no scheduling favors as they host LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and Missouri, while traveling to Kentucky, Alabama, and Oklahoma in conference in 2024, while also traveling to face in-state rival Clemson. Replacing Spencer Rattler won’t be easy, but the core of the offense should be serviceable if the offensive line and transfers can stay healthy and contribute. The defense returns plenty, but the unit will need to perform better than they did in 2023. FanDuel sets the Gamecock win total at 5.5 where I lean under.

Back
Top Bottom