| RECRUIT Holy Hell what a defensive class.

It's the outside guys that are the coverage guys in Saban's scheme.

I find it interesting seeing those talk about how they should have just cut Anderson lose to get upfield last season. It seems those ideas haven't taken into account the need to set the edge. But hey, they'll love Chris B next season because he can get upfield with the best of them. Coverage? Don't expect much of that—it's not his forte.

I meant more over the middle, not taking a slot or tight end.

I think a guy like Anderson should have just been cut loose. A talent like him should just be let play instead of limiting him by putting him in a box. He's one of a kind. Most other guys, yes, you have to monitor and restrict, but Anderson is one of one.

I meant more over the middle, not taking a slot or tight end.

I think a guy like Anderson should have just been cut loose. A talent like him should just be let play instead of limiting him by putting him in a box. He's one of a kind. Most other guys, yes, you have to monitor and restrict, but Anderson is one of one.
What do you do with his coverage responsibilities?

What do you do with his coverage responsibilities?

How many dedended passes did he have this year? Bring Hellams up. Defense always has an extra guy to run around due to quarterback. And to be honest, that's Golding's responsibility to figure out. Do we dare look at the Tennessee game and thinking dropping Anderson into coverage is beneficial?

How many dedended passes did he have this year? Bring Hellams up. Defense always has an extra guy to run around due to quarterback. And to be honest, that's Golding's responsibility to figure out. Do we dare look at the Tennessee game and thinking dropping Anderson into coverage is beneficial?
In the scheme Saban runs, the outside linebackers drop into coverage. If you don't want guys like Anderson in coverage you're also wanting Saban to switch to a 4-3 front—basically an Arkansas defense where they play a 2-5 on the back end.

In kind, what you're also suggesting is a defensive scheme change from Saban. We saw it on offense. Is it time to see a change on defense? It's arguable.

I don't anticipate seeing that change. I do anticipate seeing a change on offense and the team playing more complementary football than they have since Tua took the reins.

In the scheme Saban runs, the outside linebackers drop into coverage. If you don't want guys like Anderson in coverage you're also wanting Saban to switch to a 4-3 front—basically an Arkansas defense where they play a 2-5 on the back end.

In kind, what you're also suggesting is a defensive scheme change from Saban. We saw it on offense. Is it time to see a change on defense? It's arguable.

I don't anticipate seeing that change. I do anticipate seeing a change on offense and the team playing more complementary football than they have since Tua took the reins.

I wouldn't mind seeing a defensive change. We could have used that 4-3 this Fall as we struggled stopping people with our defensive line. Always a step late.

I wouldn't mind seeing a defensive change. We could have used that 4-3 this Fall as we struggled stopping people with our defensive line. Always a step late.
Going back on why you'd move someone from the edge to inside just picks a scab for me... The idea that Drew Sanders couldn't fit well enough into a position at UA to be on the field all the time is confounding.

I don't think anyone is expecting the dominating, physical, bruising defense of '09 now a days. But what adjustments can be made so that there is more pressure on the QB, less penalties on the DB's, and more opportunities for talented players to make talented plays? As you said, feels like the D is a step late in big moments.

Going back on why you'd move someone from the edge to inside just picks a scab for me... The idea that Drew Sanders couldn't fit well enough into a position at UA to be on the field all the time is confounding.

I don't think anyone is expecting the dominating, physical, bruising defense of '09 now a days. But what adjustments can be made so that there is more pressure on the QB, less penalties on the DB's, and more opportunities for talented players to make talented plays? As you said, feels like the D is a step late in big moments.

I think too many are “expecting the dominating, physical, bruising defense of '09.” If it happened once, it should happen every year.

You don't have to completely change the defensive scheme to not drop them into coverage. Just don't drop them. They only drop in coverage if the coach feels like they need to drop an extra defender back into an area of the field. Line against Tennessee, or Mississippi St. There are other schematic packages that can be ran that allow all areas of the field to be covered, and allow your pass rushers to just worry about getting after the quarterback.

Not having Eddie Jackson vs Clemson and D Watson in the NC was the difference in the game.
This is also the one that Bo S went out in the 3rd quarter correct? Having a smidge more offense would have gotten a different result. Greatest team in Saban era to not win it all. 2011/2016 defenses are the best in his era.

Alabama's nickel formation is five defensive backs.

The WILL position took 47% of the snaps last season. Rarely isn't the right word. Moody saw just over 300 snaps, Branch over 650 (nickel.)

More importantly, considering Alabama only spent 2.8% of those snaps in regular, that also means they only used the WILL position in their 3/4 Over/Under scheme less than 3% of the time.

That's what I said re: the nickel. The WILL doesn't get subbed out in nickel, a DL does. Add in Lawson's snaps since he started several games and played a ton.

In Dime the WILL goes out

That's what I said re: the nickel. The WILL doesn't get subbed out in nickel, a DL does. Add in Lawson's snaps since he started several games and played a ton.

In Dime the WILL goes out
The Will is usually still on the field in Dime unless they sub him out to bring in another DB. Dime usually goes 3-2-6. But you can do any alignment, or sub package you want. They could Sub out a guy like Moody and bring in a more athletic guy like Lawson since we usually only use this package on 3rd&long. Or if we play teams like Tennessee that like to spread a defense out wide.

Back
Top Bottom