| FTBL Here's a different take on Fromm and Georgia football (Musburger's co-host on his gambling show.)

As soon as you can prove how Fromm is a superior QB to McCarron.

On the biggest stage, I'll take Jake Coker over this guy. I'm more impressed with Cokers guts and moxie bringing us back against Tennessee in 2015 and then again vs Clemson in the 2015 natty.

Quiz time: How many points have Georgia scored vs Alabama in their biggest of games in the Kirby Smart era for the natty and SECCG in the 4th quarter? The answer: 0, that's spelled zero, my friend.

You're about loco if you'd take Coker over Fromm. Derrick Henry won that Tennessee game, not Coker. And you and I could have hit those OJ Howard passes Coker threw. Add in a steady dose of Henry, Griffith's pooch, and Drake's return and Coker did not win us that game either. I like Coker, but you are not an astute fan of the game if you hold them in the same regard.

And I never said he was superior, I said he was just as good. Just because McCarron was on a far superior team than Fromm is doesn't mean anything.

Sometimes I think you dig in so deep that you are willing to comes across as lacking rather than admit you're wrong.

You'll be able to guess as there is an extra year under one guys and the other is a Sophomore, about to be a Junior, but take a look and compare. Nice try though.

1565026946340.png

1565026979085.png

Last edited:
You're about as foolish as you most likely look if you'd take Coker over Fromm. Derrick Henry won that Tennessee game, not Coker.

Not true at all. I think you're misremembering, again. Tennessee takes the lead late and Coker has to make 2 clutch passes on 3rd down to continue the drive. Henry gets a run to the endzone predicated on what our offense had already accomplished. When asked after the game how he did it, Jake just humbly replied, "I'm just living the dream."

And you and I could have hit those OJ Howard passes Coker threw. Add in a steady dose of Henry, Griffith's pooch, and Drake's return and Coker did not win us that game either. I like Coker, but you are not an astute fan of the game if you hold them in the same regard.

Actually, Coker had the much better season in passing stats and was asked to do more at Alabama with over 3100 passing yards that season.
And I never said he was superior, I said he was just as good. Just because McCarron was on a far superior team than Fromm is doesn't mean anything.

Why was AJ on a far superior team? Says you? They didn't look so superior against the 2012 Georgia team. It looked more like the dawgs ran out of time. Didn't we lose the 2011 "game of the century" against LSU in Tuscaloosa with AJ? And didn't the barners go on to the NC game with the infamous "Kick Six" game against an undefeated AJ QB team? And then Oklahoma followed that up by beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl that year. Just how superior were we with AJ?

And hasn't other elite teams had to best Alabama's superiority to get to the promised land? Like, the barners best team that made a huge comeback on us in 2010 at our place and then go on and win the natty? And didn't Ohio State beat us in the Sugar Bowl in 2014 for our semi-playoff game? And hasn't Clemson done it twice in the last few years?

Other elite teams have done it.

And Georgia and Jake Fromm, who's the equal of AJ, couldn't score a 4th quarter-point against Alabama's 16th nationally ranked defense in the SECCG?

No wonder we see these Georgia fans counting chickens before they hatch, it seems very contagious.

"there is iron in your words"
Didn't get it.
@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw, neither Kirby or UGA fit what I'd call a "Sampson" in the conference this year. (ducking.)
Even more lost.

(Searches Google.)
There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death.
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) - Will Sampson as Ten Bears ...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075029/characters/nm0760225

Not true at all. I think you're misremembering, again. Tennessee takes the lead late and Coker has to make 2 clutch passes on 3rd down to continue the drive. Henry gets a run to the endzone predicated on what our offense had already accomplished. When asked after the game how he did it, Jake just humbly replied, "I'm just living the dream."

Actually, Coker had the much better season in passing stats and was asked to do more at Alabama with over 3100 passing yards that season.

Why was AJ on a far superior team? Says you? They didn't look so superior against the 2012 Georgia team. It looked more like the dawgs ran out of time. Didn't we lose the 2011 "game of the century" against LSU in Tuscaloosa with AJ? And didn't the barners go on to the NC game with the infamous "Kick Six" game against an undefeated AJ QB team? And then Oklahoma followed that up by beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl that year. Just how superior were we with AJ?

And hasn't other elite teams had to best Alabama's superiority to get to the promised land? Like, the barners best team that made a huge comeback on us in 2010 at our place and then go on and win the natty? And didn't Ohio State beat us in the Sugar Bowl in 2014 for our semi-playoff game? And hasn't Clemson done it twice in the last few years?

Other elite teams have done it.

And Georgia and Jake Fromm, who's the equal of AJ, couldn't score a 4th quarter-point against Alabama's 16th nationally ranked defense in the SECCG?

No wonder we see these Georgia fans counting chickens before they hatch, it seems very contagious.

I apologize for calling you names, and I tried to go back and fix that, but you caught it before I edited. My apologies there.

Coker making two throws pales in comparison to Henry being the workhorse and hitting paydirt. Coker also threw an interception giving the ball away. On top of that a defense only allowing 14 points. Jalen Hurts also made some clutch third down plays against Georgia in the SEC Championship, yet a high percentage of folks on here are saying he can't throw the ball still. Coker had a solid season, but he was propped up by a Heisman Trophy winner and the emergence of Calvin Ridley, whom would have had 1,000 more yards had Coker been able to find him when he was open half the time.

AJ had a far superior team than Fromm has had at Georgia. Georgia had a killer team in 2012, just go look at all the draftees and talent. All of the other teams had solid teams as well. We still had more talent and depth than any of those teams. Having a superior team does not always mean you will win. Just look at the 2010 Alabama team. Is there really any question if we had the most talent in the country? You ready to anoint Stephen Garcia an SEC legend for beating us? How about Nick Marshall? How about Jordan Jefferson? Just because those quarterbacks beat Alabama does not mean they are legends or that Alabama was any worse than the talent it had. We still won National Championships in those seasons and were a Kick 6 away from a Three Peat. Half the statistics the football department throw out in mailers to recruits is because of the accomplishments of those teams. All that NFL money, all of those rings, all of those individual awards were from those teams.

Fromm is just as good as McCarron.

I apologize for calling you names, and I tried to go back and fix that, but you caught it before I edited. My apologies there.

I forgive you. Emotions can run high.

Coker making two throws pales in comparison to Henry being the workhorse and hitting paydirt. Coker also threw an interception giving the ball away. On top of that a defense only allowing 14 points. Jalen Hurts also made some clutch third down plays against Georgia in the SEC Championship, yet a high percentage of folks on here are saying he can't throw the ball still. Coker had a solid season, but he was propped up by a Heisman Trophy winner and the emergence of Calvin Ridley, whom would have had 1,000 more yards had Coker been able to find him when he was open half the time.

It doesn't pale in comparison when it's the difference between losing to the viles or not. There was a reason Coker was interviewed after the game. Danielson properly gave credit to where credit was due also in real-time. Your issues are your issues. The whole point of this discussion is who is clutch. Lots of players have stats but few will rise to the occasion in the biggest of moments, even with elite talent. I gave you specific examples of games that Fromm QBed where it didn't happen and I haven't mentioned the Texas game yet.

I'll never lump together Alabama players who haven't been there and done that with other Bama players who have. Much less praise Fromm's accomplishments as equal with Bama players who have far more to show for their effort. When Fromm goes through Alabama's dead carcass, get back with me?

Fromm is just as good as McCarron.

See above.

I forgive you. Emotions can run high.

It doesn't pale in comparison when it's the difference between losing to the viles or not. There was a reason Coker was interviewed after the game. Danielson properly gave credit to where credit was due also in real-time. Your issues are your issues. The whole point of this discussion is who is clutch. Lots of players have stats but few will rise to the occasion in the biggest of moments, even with elite talent. I gave you specific examples of games that Fromm QBed where it didn't happen and I haven't mentioned the Texas game yet.

I'll never lump together Alabama players who haven't been there and done that with other Bama players who have. Much less praise Fromm's accomplishments as equal with Bama players who have far more to show for their effort. When Fromm goes through Alabama's dead carcass, get back with me?

See above.

"My issues" are statistics that prove Fromm is comparable to AJ? Your issues are your massive ego that once again, makes you always right in your mind but very flawed in the discussion. Coker's "two throws" are considered clutch and game winners, making him a better quarterback than Fromm? Lawd have mercy have you gone off the deep end. And the question was never who was more "clutch" as you are now trying to sway, it was if Fromm and AJ are comparable and if Fromm was as good as McCarron. And by the way, McCarron's throws to Norwood were wide open throws, no threading the needle and nothing that takes abnormal touch on the ball. LSU's defense was simply playing soft and not giving up the big yardage. Now Norwood was Mr. Clutch in his career, everyone knows that. By that measure, are you saying guys like Jim Kelly aren't Hall of Famers or as good as a guy like Joe Flacco or Brad Johnson whom both won Super Bowls on the biggest stage?

Give me a run down of your Top 10 quarterbacks in the nation, in order of best to least best out of the ten. If you can't come up with ten, give me your Top 5. I'll be sure to obliterate your list with statistics, something we know you hate to go by.

Last edited:
"I think there are about 15 quarterbacks

I believe Jake is a top 10 QB for sure

Okay...been thinking about this for the last few hours while considering names across the collegiate football landscape.

I'm going to list some quarterbacks here...how many of them do you think could accomplish the same thing Fromm has/will do at UGA?

West Coast:

K. Tate - AZ
McDonald - Hawai'i
Eason - Washington
Costello - Stanford
Love - Utah State
Herbert - Oregon

Mid West:
Jalen - OU
Montez - Colorado
Purdy - Iowa State (they going to upset a few this year I suspect.)
Martinez - Nebraska
Ehlinger - Texas
King - Houston
Patterson - Michigan

Eastern US:
Fields - OSU
Lawrence - Clemson
Tua - Bama
Book - Notre Dame
Bryant - Mizzou
Mond - A&M
Burrow - LSU
Bentley - UofSC
Franks - Florida
Mack - UCF

...and there's about a dozen more teams that come to mind, the names I'd have to look up.

How many of these guys would not work in the UGA system?

Okay...been thinking about this for the last few hours while considering names across the collegiate football landscape.

I'm going to list some quarterbacks here...how many of them do you think could accomplish the same thing Fromm has/will do at UGA?

West Coast:

K. Tate - AZ
McDonald - Hawai'i
Eason - Washington
Costello - Stanford
Love - Utah State
Herbert - Oregon

Mid West:
Jalen - OU
Montez - Colorado
Martinez - Nebraska
Ehlinger - Texas
King - Houston
Patterson - Michigan

Eastern US:
Fields - OSU
Lawrence - Clemson
Tua - Bama
Book - Notre Dame
Bryant - Mizzou
Mond - A&M
Burrow - LSU
Bentley - UofSC
Franks - Florida
Mack - UCF

...and there's about a dozen more teams that come to mind, the names I'd have to look up.

I will scratch Eason right off the bat....can you feel me

I will scratch Eason right off the bat....can you feel me
I understand what you're driving at here but I can't wholeheartedly agree with you. The biggest reason is what they were promised versus what they found out to be true. (IE: Kirby's recruiting.)

To be honest, I'd fear those guys a lot more if they were still at UGA under Coley. As to Eason...I think we should watch what Peterson does this year with his talent.

West Coast:

K. Tate - AZ
McDonald - Hawai'i
Eason - Washington
Costello - Stanford
Love - Utah State
Herbert - Oregon

Mid West:
Jalen - OU
Montez - Colorado
Martinez - Nebraska
Ehlinger - Texas
King - Houston
Patterson - Michigan

Eastern US:
Fields - OSU
Lawrence - Clemson
Tua - Bama
Book - Notre Dame
Bryant - Mizzou
Mond - A&M
Burrow - LSU
Bentley - UofSC
Franks - Florida
Mack - UCF

For me, I believe the UGA offensive system is fairly simple. Downhill runs with a lot of play action concepts and some spread gun with crossing routes and quick throws. Of these you listed @TerryP , I don't see a name that WOULDN'T be successful.
To me, I think a harder offense to run but would be fun as a QB, would be Mike Leach's system at Washington State. I think with that system, you could eliminate several of these guys!!!

West Coast:

K. Tate - AZ
McDonald - Hawai'i
Eason - Washington
Costello - Stanford
Love - Utah State
Herbert - Oregon

Mid West:
Jalen - OU
Montez - Colorado
Martinez - Nebraska
Ehlinger - Texas
King - Houston
Patterson - Michigan

Eastern US:
Fields - OSU
Lawrence - Clemson
Tua - Bama
Book - Notre Dame
Bryant - Mizzou
Mond - A&M
Burrow - LSU
Bentley - UofSC
Franks - Florida
Mack - UCF

Eeeesh. I guess it depends on if we are just talking record, or statistically. Because if we are talking record then there would be more... Just like I believe a handful of these guys could run the table to the playoffs just like Tua did here. But if we are talking about the Stats of 67%/30TD/6INT I would say Lawrence & Tua... After that I'm drawing a blank.

To me, I think a harder offense to run but would be fun as a QB, would be Mike Leach's system at Washington State. I think with that system, you could eliminate several of these guys!!!
I believe JT Daniels is a pretty good quarterback at USC. They have a handful. However, for the same reason you mention Leach, I didn't include those because of Harrell.

(Still having a hard time believing USC is going to the air raid with their recruiting base.)

Eeeesh. I guess it depends on if we are just talking record, or statistically. Because if we are talking record then there would be more... Just like I believe a handful of these guys could run the table to the playoffs just like Tua did here. But if we are talking about the Stats of 67%/30TD/6INT I would say Lawrence & Tua... After that I'm drawing a blank.

A lot of high percentage throws in the UGA offense and not a lot risky downfield shots. Tua and Lawrence would definitely tear it up, but these other QBs would have similar success because of the philosophy of run first, play action. IMHO

Because if we are talking record then there would be more.
It's my opinion that's what the guy was saying in the original post in this thread.

To me, it's disingenuous to hear people talk about how Kirby brought "all things Alabama to UGA" and that doesn't include a system quarterback approach.

I believe JT Daniels is a pretty good quarterback at USC. They have a handful. However, for the same reason you mention Leach, I didn't include those because of Harrell.

(Still having a hard time believing USC is going to the air raid with their recruiting base.)

I think if you are intelligent enough to go with your talent, then you could put up some numbers like Minshew did last year.

Off topic, but if you have noticed, my traffic has been at it's peak since May. That can only mean 1 thing!!! School has started back for me!!! Teachers reported last Thursday and our kids will report Wednesday. Another year is upon us. At Christmas, I will have completed 26 years in the education field. I'm hanging up the whistle in June 2021!!! Ready to do something different now that I've decided to grow up!;)

Back
Top Bottom