| FTBL Here's a different take on Fromm and Georgia football (Musburger's co-host on his gambling show.)

TerryP

Staff
"I think there are about 15 quarterbacks who could play for Georgia and do the same thing [as Jake Fromm]."

Even though UGA had a offensive coordinator change, there's not a lot of change there. Coley has been on that staff for a few years now. He's got experience before UGA...a storyline I don't have an answer for other than, "It's Georgia."

I'm not sure how to read the idea here...Fromm is average? He's a system guy? đź”” There's that much competition across the board?

sauce

I believe Jake has the ability to step forward and become elite but in those two losses to Bama he had several chances to make plays that would have made it all but impossible for Bama to score enough to beat the dawgs and he failed. He may or may not have the something special during crunch time to get that big ole trophy.

I believe Jake has the ability to step forward and become elite but in those two losses to Bama he had several chances to make plays that would have made it all but impossible for Bama to score enough to beat the dawgs and he failed. He may or may not have the something special during crunch time to get that big ole trophy.

Until he does, he doesn't. But you're right, in the last 2 Bama contest he had plenty of opportunity and game time to drive the dawgs to a lead. 4th quarters have not been a friend to Fromm or the dawgs.

Fromm makes some very difficult throws look easy. We have a generational QB in terms of accuracy, it impacts my perspective, for sure. If Fromm plays as well this year as he did last, I think he goes pro and is a first-early second rounder.

Until he does, he doesn't. But you're right, in the last 2 Bama contest he had plenty of opportunity and game time to drive the dawgs to a lead. 4th quarters have not been a friend to Fromm or the dawgs.

I don't think you blame him as much as Chaney. Fromm freaking torched our secondary and made some throws 95% of D1 quarterbacks would have missed. Simply look at the throw to Ridley against Savion Smith for a touchdown.

Chaney getting away from the run and burning clock killed Georgia against us, twice. Also look at the difficult decision in the Natty he put Fromm and Swift in on the third down play at the end of the game.

I don't think Fromm is a Heisman guy, but I think he is a Top 5 quarterback in the country. Y'all are blaming him for not being perfect against freaking Alabama which is laughable. Cause who ever has been other than Deshaun Watson?

I don't think you blame him as much as Chaney. Fromm freaking torched our secondary and made some throws 95% of D1 quarterbacks would have missed. Simply look at the throw to Ridley against Savion Smith for a touchdown.

Chaney getting away from the run and burning clock killed Georgia against us, twice. Also look at the difficult decision in the Natty he put Fromm and Swift in on the third down play at the end of the game.

I don't think Fromm is a Heisman guy, but I think he is a Top 5 quarterback in the country. Y'all are blaming him for not being perfect against freaking Alabama which is laughable. Cause who ever has been other than Deshaun Watson?

Just stating the facts. Fromm had the opportunity to keep the lead and also to take the lead in both games and did neither. Keep in mind in the natty game that Tua had taken us to the winning drive in the 4th quarter of that game with time running out. It wasn't his fault our kicker lost his mind under pressure. Even when Jalen brought us back for the 2 late TDs and finally taking the lead in the SECCG, Fromm and the dawgs had plenty of time to work the ball downfield. It started well when they quickly got into Bama territory, I believe on a nice throw to the running back on kind of a wheel route, but it came to a quick halt and all they could get off was a hail mary in the final second.

Think about why Kirby would go for it on 4th and 11 with time galore in that game. Do you trust your defense, do you trust your QB to finally get it done? No, to both.

Just stating the facts. Fromm had the opportunity to keep the lead and also to take the lead in both games and did neither. Keep in mind in the natty game that Tua had taken us to the winning drive in the 4th quarter of that game with time running out. It wasn't his fault our kicker lost his mind under pressure. Even when Jalen brought us back for the 2 late TDs and finally taking the lead in the SECCG, Fromm and the dawgs had plenty of time to work the ball downfield. It started well when they quickly got into Bama territory, I believe on a nice throw to the running back on kind of a wheel route, but it came to a quick halt and all they could get off was a hail mary in the final second.

Think about why Kirby would go for it on 4th and 11 with time galore in that game. Do you trust your defense, do you trust your QB to finally get it done? No, to both.

Paaaaaleeeeeeaaaaaase! You think Curbee didn't trust his quarterback? He trusted him enough to go with him over Eason as a true freshman and hasn't looked back. You can't sit there and say the fake punt was because he didn't trust Fromm. I can sit here and make just as compelling of an argument that he did it to simply try and keep Fields happy and to keep him from transferring or that Curbs simply had a lack in judgement as a coach, much like our own coach did against Clemson. A fake field goal with the talent we have at Alabama??? Saban didn't trust his offense?

Once again, watch the SEC Championship game. Look at the stats. Fromm was dead on and had the ball taken out of his hands by Chaney. He did the same thing in the Natty as well.

Now, the Natty, I was a little surprised by his stats in that game considering how they ran up and down the field on us for three quarters it felt like. He still averaged almost 15 YPC, and they ran for a couple of touchdowns as they got close, but it's clear his arm was active and he gave them a chance. We simply stifled their defense with Tua and it allowed our defense to catch their breath and stop Georgia.

I'll say it once again so you don't try and beat me into a corner. I do not think he is a Heisman kind of guy, but I do think he is a Top 5 quarterback in the country. If you want to put him down, look no further than our very own guy faltering last season when it meant the most. Eason was not better than Fromm, nor was Justin Fields, both whom are presumed starters at Washington and Ohio State right now. They both transferred and Georgia has become as deadly of a team as they have been since Herschel. But guess who the leader of the team is during this run, Jake Fromm. Alabama wanted him and had him at one point. Winning the big one does not define his abilities. Team game, not a solitary one.

1565011884282.png1565011997627.png

Paaaaaleeeeeeaaaaaase! You think Curbee didn't trust his quarterback? He trusted him enough to go with him over Eason as a true freshman and hasn't looked back. You can't sit there and say the fake punt was because he didn't trust Fromm. I can sit here and make just as compelling of an argument that he did it to simply try and keep Fields happy and to keep him from transferring or that Curbs simply had a lack in judgement as a coach, much like our own coach did against Clemson. A fake field goal with the talent we have at Alabama??? Saban didn't trust his offense?

Bama's defense vs clemson was getting gassed and game momentum and getting enough stops was more about Saban's decision, as he tells it.

Weren't you just discussing the virtuals of an Alabama defense in the 4th quarter? How do you know that Kirby felt good about Fromm bringing the dawgs back if they punted back to Jalen? No one does something like that without motive. Even a poor one.

What I do know is, if you are in a tied game in the SECCG and the winner goes to the playoff and it's 4th and 11 around midfield and you're suddenly thinking about placating your backup QB, you are certifiable at that point as a head coach. Simply being called an idiot would be too good for the guy who's mind has wondered so aimlessly at such a moment.

Bama's defense vs clemson was getting gassed and game momentum and getting enough stops was more about Saban's decision, as he tells it.

Weren't you just discussing the virtuals of an Alabama defense in the 4th quarter? How do you know that Kirby felt good about Fromm bringing the dawgs back if they punted back to Jalen? No one does something like that without motive. Even a poor one.

What I do know is, if you are in a tied game in the SECCG and the winner goes to the playoff and it's 4th and 11 around midfield and you're suddenly thinking about placating your backup QB, you are certifiable at that point as a head coach. Simply being called an idiot would be too good for the guy who's mind has wondered so aimlessly at such a moment.

He has put the ball in Fromm's hand ever since Eason went down, and even before that we saw Fromm clearly gaining. I just don't think Kirby takes the ball out of his hand on the biggest stage or even the biggest moment of a game. I mean, he stuck with him through the entire LSU game last season, the Auburn game the year before that, so he knew he was better than Fields last season. Give me Fromm over any other quarterback in the SEC and ACC other than Tua and Trevor Lawrence. I'd take him over anyone else in any other conference as well. Who would you put ahead of him other than the two I mentioned?

He has put the ball in Fromm's hand ever since Eason went down, and even before that we saw Fromm clearly gaining. I just don't think Kirby takes the ball out of his hand on the biggest stage or even the biggest moment of a game. I mean, he stuck with him through the entire LSU game last season, the Auburn game the year before that, so he knew he was better than Fields last season. Give me Fromm over any other quarterback in the SEC and ACC other than Tua and Trevor Lawrence. I'd take him over anyone else in any other conference as well. Who would you put ahead of him other than the two I mentioned?

Is Fromm as good a QB as AJ McCarron? How about Bama vs Texas A&M in 2013? Or LSU in 2012 in BR? Or the McCarron in the SECG vs Georgia in 2012? Remember that even in the Oklahoma game in the Rose Bowl, it was their running game that kept breaking off huge runs for TDs that kept them in that scoring fest. Even the winning TD in OT was Sony running out of the wildcat.

Is Fromm as good a QB as AJ McCarron? How about Bama vs Texas A&M in 2013? Or LSU in 2012 in BR? Or the McCarron in the SECG vs Georgia in 2012? Remember that even in the Oklahoma game in the Rose Bowl, it was their running game that kept breaking off huge runs for TDs that kept them in that scoring fest. Even the winning TD in OT was Sony running out of the wildcat.

Honestly, yes, I think Fromm is every bit as good as McCarron.

The Rose Bowl game was more of take what their defense was willing to give you. Georgia had two All-American caliber running backs, so of course they ran wild. His QBR isn't high at all, but 69% completion percentage and 11YPC with no flaws is pretty solid work. He wasn't forced to go out and beat them with his arm, but he managed the game juuuuust fine and they won. To say without those long runs that Georgia couldn't keep up is simply speculation, because you can't say one way or the other, but his stats show he could have kept them in the game.

Then look at his stats against us in the SEC Championship. He dinked and dunked his way through our defense and took what we gave him without making mistakes. He made some killer throws and was pretty efficient.

Him and McCarron were both very smart quarterbacks and took what defenses gave them. Neither had laser strong arms, but they are both racking up the stats because their IQ is so high. McCarron had the defense, Fromm has not had that caliber of a defense which is why he doesn't have a Natty like McCarron. Fromm has a killer offensive line, which McCarron also had. They are just great at reading defenses and methodically getting their team down field. Fromm is a damn good quarterback.

1565019012615.png

1565019250896.png

Honestly, yes, I think Fromm is every bit as good as McCarron.

The Rose Bowl game was more of take what their defense was willing to give you. Georgia had two All-American caliber running backs, so of course they ran wild. His QBR isn't high at all, but 69% completion percentage and 11YPC with no flaws is pretty solid work. He wasn't forced to go out and beat them with his arm, but he managed the game juuuuust fine and they won. To say without those long runs that Georgia couldn't keep up is simply speculation, because you can't say one way or the other, but his stats show he could have kept them in the game.

Then look at his stats against us in the SEC Championship. He dinked and dunked his way through our defense and took what we gave him without making mistakes. He made some killer throws and was pretty efficient.

Him and McCarron were both very smart quarterbacks and took what defenses gave them. Neither had laser strong arms, but they are both racking up the stats because their IQ is so high. McCarron had the defense, Fromm has not had that caliber of a defense which is why he doesn't have a Natty like McCarron. Fromm has a killer offensive line, which McCarron also had. They are just great at reading defenses and methodically getting their team down field. Fromm is a damn good quarterback.

View attachment 11724

View attachment 11725

McCarron has 2 natties as a starter. I mentioned LSU in 2012 in BR, the Bama team was sluggish and we were behind late in the game. Then the "Blitz and the Screen" happened about 70 yards later for the impossible win. In between was incredible throws to Norwood in super tight quarters as the Cajuns were going nuts and yet AJ marched us down to around their 20 for the big finish.

I watched Georgia invade BR last season and Georgia looked sluggish. I watched Fromm very carefully in that one. And you know what? Georgia proceeded to get their azz kicked with very little fight. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe Fromm could have taken his more talented team on his shoulders and at least make that a competitive game. It's the big games that make you who you are in the SEC. Comparing AJ's accomplishments with your personal view of Fromm's potential in the same situation is off the mark. At least, so far.

Fromm is average? He's a system guy? đź”” There's that much competition across the board?

From the quote, it certainly sounds like that is what the writer is saying about Fromm. Or it could be that he is saying that the UGA offensive system is fairly simple and that 15 or so other QBs would have similar numbers in that system. Fromm, against us the last 2 games, IMHO played well enough to earn the W in both games. I think coaching and that leash got a little too tight around their necks.

McCarron has 2 natties as a starter. I mentioned LSU in 2012 in BR, the Bama team was sluggish and we were behind late in the game. Then the "Blitz and the Screen" happened about 70 yards later for the impossible win. In between was incredible throws to Norwood in super tight quarters as the Cajuns were going nuts and yet AJ marched us down to around their 20 for the big finish.

I watched Georgia invade BR last season and Georgia looked sluggish. I watched Fromm very carefully in that one. And you know what? Georgia proceeded to get their azz kicked with very little fight. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe Fromm could have taken his more talented team on his shoulders and at least make that a competitive game. It's the big games that make you who you are in the SEC. Comparing AJ's accomplishments with your personal view of Fromm's potential in the same situation is off the mark. At least, so far.

Well Tua got owned against Clemson and Georgia last year on the biggest stage, so what's your point?

Well Tua got owned against Clemson and Georgia last year on the biggest stage, so what's your point?

As soon as you can prove how Fromm is a superior QB to McCarron.

On the biggest stage, I'll take Jake Coker over this guy. I'm more impressed with Cokers guts and moxie bringing us back against Tennessee in 2015 and then again vs Clemson in the 2015 natty.

Quiz time: How many points have Georgia scored vs Alabama in their biggest of games in the Kirby Smart era for the natty and SECCG in the 4th quarter? The answer: 0, that's spelled zero, my friend.

Haven't read every word - But generally agree with BamaFan that Fromm is a very good QB. I don't think there are 15 dudes as good or better.

Georgia is on a great run, just so happens Alabama has been in the way. Like the greatest dynasty in CF has been in the way... Tough luck.

I would put him right in that same category as AJ... Give or take, very comparable. He's also still got some football ahead of him, hoping he doesn't improve too much before December!

I believe Jake is a top 10 QB for sure. I also believe that when the pressure really gets heavy as seen by those two Bama games Jake didn't make that play(s) to get the Dawgs over the hump. I am hopeful that he never is able to defeat The King.

Ten Bears believes this is the year for The Dawgs to win that big ole trophy. No doubt the pressure to win it all will be great on Kirby this season. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom