| FTBL HC Kalen DeBoer about the problems with the in-helmet communication at the beginning of the game

I heard him mention not practicing that. I would think that is one of those details he would have a plan for. I bet he will be prepared for it the next time it happens.
I agree. He got really frustrated initially. I can see where a team could prepare a ton for no headset and then have a technical "problem" and use it as an advantage over the opponent. Perhaps it's the next fake injury, stylish strategy for the college game.

Last time I remember that happening was in 2009 against UT. Kiffen accused us of doing it intentionally.
If I recall this correctly, UT was ranked in the top ten that weekend; number six? That game, via Terrance Cody, put an end to the Tennessee program as we knew it that day. In my view, Saban and Bama put the straw on UT's back in '07 (following the suspensions and the subsequent upset.) That same straw broke the camel's back that Saturday.

What are peoples thoughts about not being prepared for this situation? I know there is only so much time and when you are putting in a new system you have to prioritize things.

What are peoples thoughts about not being prepared for this situation? I know there is only so much time and when you are putting in a new system you have to prioritize things.
Let's say your home Internet goes out right now and you need to get online. What do you do?
Let's say your electricity goes out and you need to get online. What do you do?

In my opinion, they were prepared for something like this. But, you never can really tell where it's going to come from...or, what's going to "break down."

In a sense, it's a lot like integrating this live chat option on game days...I know it's going to change a few things, I know it'll create a hiccup, but I can't tell you where or from whom.

Let's say your home Internet goes out right now and you need to get online. What do you do?

In my opinion, they were prepared for something like this. But, you never can really tell where it's going to come from...or, what's going to "break down."

In a sense, it's a lot like integrating this live chat option on game days...I know it's going to change a few things, I know it'll create a hiccup, but I can't tell you where or from whom.
CKD made it sound like they did not have a plan for it. Having a plan and there being hiccups is one thing not having a plan is another. On your hypotheticals - for the internet thing I swap over to a hotspot through my phone. If needed to keep my devices charged because of loss of power I would go to my vehicle and plug in. It is something I have at least thought about.

CKD made it sound like they did not have a plan for it. Having a plan and there being hiccups is one thing not having a plan is another. On your hypotheticals - for the internet thing I swap over to a hotspot through my phone. If needed to keep my devices charged because of loss of power I would go to my vehicle and plug in. It is something I have at least thought about.
Yes, and no.

How do you practice for rushing Sheridan down from the booth and then back up to the booth: twice in one game? Did they practice without the helmet communication? Yes. Did they practice for that scenario? No.

I noticed it during the game and I'm glad DeBoer brought it up last night. We saw the team lose two offensive lineman on one play changing the center and guard, with a new tackle. All because helmet's came off on the same play. You prepare for subs...but you can't prepare for that.

Seriously. Who thinks this? We have to practice in BDS to get Sheridan down the elevator, on the sidelines, to call plays and then get him back up the elevator in the booth...

Looking for a slider and got a curve ball...you knew it was coming. But, didn't know how.

My mother in law just reboots the router 500 times thinking that's the answer all 500 times.

CKD and staff did exactly what they had to do in the moment. If the sideline coaches can't communicate with coaches in the booth; oh no, what can we do? Coaches moving from the booth to the sideline does not require much planning if any, in my opinion. Common sense?

CKD and staff did exactly what they had to do in the moment. If the sideline coaches can't communicate with coaches in the booth; oh no, what can we do? Coaches moving from the booth to the sideline does not require much planning if any, in my opinion. Common sense?

Seriously. Who thinks this? We have to practice in BDS to get Sheridan down the elevator, on the sidelines, to call plays and then get him back up the elevator in the booth...

I just triggered off what CKD said. Saying we had talked about that or we had a plan for that is what I was expecting to here. The specifics of the plan was not important but the expectation they had a plan was what I was expecting.

One of those details if you are ready for something this unlikely then you are ready for almost anything. Gives confidence in their prep and paying attention to details. Nothing is to small. How realistic is that? Maybe it is not but anticipating technical problems should be accounted for in my view. Same with losing the QB comm system. I suspect they just go back to old school but whatever the plan I bet they have one.

I know I am probably nit picking here just an observation.

Another observation that was as animated as I have seen CKD.

Bama sent guys over to the WK sideline and they were working on their telecom box for a while during the 1st quarter. Not sure if they got it working or not, but saw them eventually walk back over to the home sideline.

It was the situation of having your play caller in the box, and then needing to get him to the field that was the issue. Going forward, they'll need a plan for that, but Bama can run the offense and defense with signals if need be. They still will at times.

It was the situation of having your play caller in the box, and then needing to get him to the field that was the issue. Going forward, they'll need a plan for that, but Bama can run the offense and defense with signals if need be. They still will at times.
Yeah when this was happening the first thing I recalled was that one of the coordinators was going to be in the press box and they better have a plan to get him down quickly. Later I saw him on the sidelines. Still need a plan because weird stuff can happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom