| FTBL Grade The Alabama Team Up To This Point

alabama mike

Just Win Baby!
This is by no stretch the type of Bama team we have grown accustomed to watching in the CNS era. Mental mistakes, blown assignments, 3rd and long with no spy, poor OL play, DL hitting wrong gaps, LB's getting lost in coverage, bad decisions by the QB, horrific play calling, receiver's not getting separation and missed coverages in the secondary to name a few. I’m not going to lie, it’s not easy to watch and I get so frustrated. Nobody on this team is trying to screw up on purpose, I know that but to repeat the SAME mistakes, week after week is painful. Tonight we finally saw the ole CNS on the sidelines. Hopefully we will see more of it. Happy for the win but man we need improve in so many areas.

How would you grade the following areas of the Crimson Tide football team up to this point?

OL -D+
TE -B
QB -D+
RB -A-
WR -C-
Punt Return -D
P -A

DL-C
LB -C+
DB -B+
Kick off and Kick Return Team -B

This is by no stretch the type of Bama team we have grown accustomed to watching in the CNS era. Mental mistakes, blown assignments, 3rd and long with no spy, poor OL play, DL hitting wrong gaps, LB's getting lost in coverage, bad decisions by the QB, horrific play calling, receiver's not getting separation and missed coverages in the secondary to name a few. I’m not going to lie, it’s not easy to watch and I get so frustrated. Nobody on this team is trying to screw up on purpose, I know that but to repeat the SAME mistakes, week after week is painful. Tonight we finally saw the ole CNS on the sidelines. Hopefully we will see more of it. Happy for the win but man we need improve in so many areas.

How would you grade the following areas of the Crimson Tide football team up to this point?

OL -D+
TE -B
QB -D+
RB -A-
WR -C-
Punt Return -D
P -A

DL-C
LB -C+
DB -B+
Are you grading on curve? Are you taking few things into consideration when giving them a grade?

OL- They are improving each week. they played well in 2nd half against Ole Miss and then played much better in Miss State. I would bump D+ to C +. only because of Seth's issue with snapping.

TE- B? Their blocking has been spotty at best. They have been whiffing on blocks. Bump it down to C-

QB- D+ How can you give Milroe D+ Have you seen his passing rating? 2023 Player Statistics and You have to admit he is making progress each week and is getting better. He hasn't regressed yet. The Ole Miss and Miss State are good enough to let me know that he should be able to handle TAMU. Bump D+ to C+ with potential of B if he keep putting in the work. He's reading the fields and He's making less mistakes. he's being decisive with his running, That's all we can ask out of him...

RB- A-?????!? Their blocking has been spotty with TE. Bump it down to B-

WR C- How are they supposed to do their job if they can't get the ball thrown their way? I would give them a bump up to B- knowing the circumstance. We've had WRs stepping up in last three games. They're little inconsistent in their route running but they're getting better.

Punt Return- D - Sir.... McKinstey muffed the punt one time. He had several big returns that was called back due to dumb flags. No Sir. Bump it up to B-

Punter- A. No issues.

DL- C. no issues. In fact, I would bump it down to D. this is due to coaching issues.

LB- C- Sir, they are playing their minds out. They're aggressive, getting to the ball carriers, QB, etc. They're making more positive plays than negative plays. We had some inexperienced LB on the field this past weekend, and they missed some plays and that was to be expected. Future is bright for LB. I would bump it up to LB- B

DB- B+ Sir, Arnold, Kool Aid... hard to throw at them. Moore is playing his mind out. Downs is having good year. A-

Kickoff team- They allowed big returns in last two games. Sir. no.

I"m convinced you haven't been watching the games.. You probably just was going by what you read on the board and assume that's what it was going on. I don't think your grades are actually fair or accurate at all.

This team has really grown in the last three weeks. They are not the same team we saw against USF. They are starting to figure out things slowly together as the team. OL is starting to gel better each week.

Also, I believe Terry and Brandon have stated that You have to shift your mindset to where you have to evaluate team week to week. You have to look at the progress efforts of the team as a whole week to week and when you look at the team from that perspective, you will start to see significant changes across the board. Don't evaluate the team based on past teams and efforts.

What happened in September is already done. October is the month where it matters the most. We will know a lot about this team after this weekend. After the texas game, I think the players know this is another chance on national spotlight to show they can truly dominate TAMU and I think they will.

Also, I believe Terry and Brandon have stated that You have to shift your mindset to where you have to evaluate team week to week.

The one game at a time montage is back. As it should be. CNS does a better job building during the season than all the preseason hype teams. Hell, as long as CNS has some reason to chew on a$$, the team does better & isn't too full of themselves.

This team is improving. Some of that is the competition & some of it is that the team is getting better.

Offense. C
Line C-
Center D
BacksB+
QB C
Receivers C

Frustrating after last 10+ years of offense

Defense B
Line. C
LBs B-
DBs B+
Safety B

At times. Look lkke a Bama D. At times... not so much

STs ..B

Place kicker A+
Punter. A+
Punt returner D
KO returner C
Coverage B

Coaching ...D

Fans...A

TV coverage....F

Concessions...C

Overall.....C

QB- D+ How can you give Milroe D+ Have you seen his passing rating? 2023 Player Statistics and You have to admit he is making progress each week and is getting better. He hasn't regressed yet. The Ole Miss and Miss State are good enough to let me know that he should be able to handle TAMU. Bump D+ to C+ with potential of B if he keep putting in the work. He's reading the fields and He's making less mistakes. he's being decisive with his running, That's all we can ask out of him...
I'll have to look to be sure but I'm more than inclined to say his QBR was as high, if not higher, than any other QB in the conference this past weekend.

In my view, through week five the team is still graded as an "I."

IMO, we've looked decent against the 2 worst teams on our schedule: MTSU and MSU. And that's with inconsistent OL run blocking.

The worst we've looked was against USF and Ole Miss (first half).

Against Texas we looked mediocre while managing to lose by only 10 points. Considering we had 2 TDs nullified and Ewers may be the best QB we face all season, it doesn't look so bad.

Thankfully, there doesn't appear to be any elite teams this year, particularly in the SEC. Our schedule was quite accommodating for us this year, given the slow development of our QBs and OL.

OL -D+
TE -B
QB -D+
RB -A-
WR -C-
Punt Return -D
P -A

DL-C
LB -C+
DB -B+
OL F -
TE B
QB C -
RB B
WR C
PR C
P A +

DL D
LB C
DB C
PK A+
KR B

Not that there's anything really wrong with the letter grade format, but how is the grade determined? Is it based on preseason expectations of each group, the overall Bama standard, or is the entire conference the baseline? I'm going to try to blend all 3 to some degree and give each a corresponding grade.

OL- Up to the point, has been disappointing overall... but they are getting better, not worse... which is key. Injuries have hampered them a little, the inexperience of Proctor has hurt them. Bad snaps (which is somewhat linked to a wrist issue) has been bad. Not all their issues have been their fault though either, and that should be taken into account. C-

WR- Still looking for a playmaker(s) to emerge, but as a group they've been a bit hogtied to this point with the QB play. Still, they've made some really tough catches and bailed out the offense much more often than they've hindered it. Remember late in fall camp when some chicken hawk fans wouldn't shut up about some dropped passes in a scrimmage? B

TE/H-Back- This is a group that I think Rees is going to lean more into as the season wears on. And Milroe seems more confrontable throwing to them right now when it comes to the intermediate passing game. Niblack is getting better each week. They've blocked pretty well too. A

RB- I haven't been a huge fan of the rotation or some of the calls, but as a group, they've been solid. As the OL has started to figure some things out, the inside run game has predictably started to take off. They've had some issues in pass protection and I'd like to see Haynes and Miller get more opportunities. [side note: Look for the backs to get more opportunities in the passing game very soon too] But, considering most defenses have been playing downhill on them, they've performed well overall. C+

QB- Every drop back pass feels like an adventure. There's hope that Milroe and Rees are starting to find what works well and can fine tune it. But so far, outside of week 1, nothing has been easy. To Milroe's credit, he's quietly earned the SEC's 3rd best QBR, and that's without taking a snap against a bad USF team that he may well have padded his stats with. Still, he's made some very ill advised throws, taken way too many sacks, and had trouble in other areas that as fans, we aren't very used to seeing the QB struggle with in recent years. C-

DL- Wildly inconsistent as a group. At times they lack both intensity and discipline. They are far and away the weak link on an otherwise very strong defensive chain. D

LB- Grading them as an entire group... the play of the inside guys has been impressive, especially with the injury to Lawson. Guys like Campbell and Blackshire are making some mistakes, but they aren't making to many of them over and over again. The coaching inside is much better this year and it's showing. The overall play from the outside guys has been solid, but inconsistent. Turner and Braswell have both been good. A-

Corner/Safety- Also grading them as a group. They've faced some potent offenses already and have done so with a defensive line that has disappeared at times and left the QB and WR's a lot of time to work with. McKinstry and Arnold have been fantastic. Moore has really bounced back and found his potential... he's been great. Downs was thrown into the fire in game 1 and has received a few burns from it, but that is going to pay off. That kid is going to be a star. Key has come in and played well. Overall, hard not to be really pleased with the group. A

Special Teams- Only downside has been McKinstry's punt returning, which is something I wouldn't have guessed before the season. I think he's just trying to too hard to make a play, like a guy swinging for the fences every time in a 0-0 game and ending up with a golden sombrero. But field goal kicking and punting... it's like having 2 NFL guys on the roster right now banging away. In fact, you throw Burnip's stats up against the NFL guys so far this season, he'd be tied for 11th in the league in punt average. A

Overall team grade after 5 games- I expect the OL to continue to improve. Beyond that, it would be great if just either QB play or DL play would improve as well. Of the two, I actually have more faith in Milroe at this point. Just a little improvement from him could translate to a big improvement to the offense as a whole. In the cause and effect world, that would take some pressure off the defense... keeping them off the field more and hopefully providing them with a bit more of a score cushion. A lot of if's and but's type stuff, but the potential is there. As of now, I give the team a C+. To put it in numerical form, I'd have it as a 79.

The grade is determined on personal observation. We all see things and have strong feelings about certain groups on the team. A lot has been said about the QB situation and OL. I remember very little about McKinstry on the punt return team. An excellent observation by the way! The intent of the thread is not to demean anyone on the team but to get honest opinions from our posters on what they see.

Not that there's anything really wrong with the letter grade format, but how is the grade determined? Is it based on preseason expectations of each group, the overall Bama standard, or is the entire conference the baseline? I'm going to try to blend all 3 to some degree and give each a corresponding grade.
What would you say if I asked you to grade the offense after one game? Hyperbolic point here...but still.

The team went through a few games looking to settle on who is under center. Now that it has been established the offense can take on its personality.

Grading the defense, which in part is affected by the offense, when the offense is just beginning to take form ... it's about like getting handed a mid-term on the first day of class.

What would you say if I asked you to grade the offense after one game? Hyperbolic point here...but still.

The team went through a few games looking to settle on who is under center. Now that it has been established the offense can take on its personality.

Grading the defense, which in part is affected by the offense, when the offense is just beginning to take form ... it's about like getting handed a mid-term on the first day of class.
I didn't think it was fair to grade the team at all. Best time to grade the team is actually after TAMU game... we'll know where we are as a team. I have rela good feeling about our team.

Agreed, that's why it isn't a easy (or really fair) exercise.... but it can make for pretty good discussion when you dive into it.

I think you absolutely nailed the prognosis of the Offense! Perhaps even the team as a whole. And the offense looked the part with last weeks game. The game plan was solid & clear too. Hopefully they can continue to build what their evolving into.

Back
Top Bottom