| FTBL Good, Bad, Ugly Bama vs TA&M?

Good - Millroe dropping dimes all over the field

Bad - Millroe holding the ball - again - too long and taking sacks for no reason.

Ugly - Penalties and the run game

If you had told me that Bama would have 14 penalties, 2 turnovers, and 23 yards rushing and they won the game, I would say you're nuts. How is that even possible? This team still has so many issues. They are still undisciplined, arrogant, and soft on offense. I still don't think Rees is a good OC. The OL coach needs to do better also. These blocking schemes don't make sense. You have tackles trying to come all the way across the formation and block a LB or safety. You have TEs trying to block D linemen one on one. No one is getting to the second level on their blocks. It's terrible. The only saving grace is that the SEC is historically bad this year. It's Georgia and everyone else. And Georgia is really only Brock Bowers and his supporting cast. I will be shocked if an SEC team makes the championship game. This might be the year the SEC misses the playoffs all together. But if Bama can ever get out of their own way....if the coaches can get their act together and call a good game plan....they can be really good. And I think Saban should thank his lucky stars that he hired Kevin Steele, cause that man is saving the season.

I should add to my Good- That Aggie RB sliding a toe out of bounds in that king run in the 4th quarter where it looked like he scored. Changed the whole ending of the game. We looked like the bad news bears on that play. Kool Aid just looked flat silly. They’d have been down 3, 4 minutes left and 3 timeouts. And we had 14 yards on 9 plays the previous 3 possessions, TOTAL. That toe likely changed the ending.

Last edited:
Good: Defense showed up HUGE in the second half. Guys like Braswell, Tim Smith, Caleb Downs, Justin Eboigbe, and Lawson are really establishing themselves as dominant players. Turner is getting more consistent as well. Every time the offense stalled, the D responded well. Not sure if the defense is at elite level, but they're getting better every week.

Okay: Offensive line protection was better. A&M has a really disruptive front and they gave Milroe time for plays to develop and find Bond and Burton. But the flip side is penalties and busted assignments. The offensive line reared its ugly multiple times with penalties and prevented Alabama from extending the lead.

Better: Milroe is starting to find his rhythm and read through his progressions. I think the next step in his game are presnap reads and blitz recognitions. Teams won't shy from bringing an extra blitzer. Also be more decisive on whether he's going to run or not. But Rees and Saban have to do a better job of designing runs for him. His strength are his legs, yet we're asking him to be Bryce Young. Let him be Milroe.

Bad: the fact that we have to accept that Alabama is going to be the most undisciplined team in the country. So ridiculous to see Alabama consistently shoot themselves in the foot. Alabama was up 10-3 facing a third and 3. Huge drive for Alabama to set the tone and establish their dominance. End result? False start. Sack. Fourth down and a mile. A&M then puts it together and gets up 17-10 at half.

Ugly - Officiating crew was dog shit. Every single call they wanted to make in a critical situation, they did.

The Good: Significant improvement from Milroe. He and Burton carried the offense. The defense held their own. Steele seems to be getting the job done.
The Bad: Offensive line performance for the run game was pitiful. I understand that A & M has one of the better run defenses in the country but........
The Ugly: False start penalties. I understand the noise in that stadium is INCREDIBLE, however there are ways to minimize noise interference. We are not getting it done there. Better get a handle in it before going to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Overall, I am very happy with the teams hustle. Just have a few things for our coaches to sort out.

Good:
-Defensive Line were finishers! That was so refreshing to see.
-Milroe showed some legitimate progress yesterday. That was a really tough situation with a ton of penalties around him, and he made some big throws.
-Caleb Downs is one of "those guys". He's special. As the year goes on, the D will have to keep creating TO's and his play was huge.

Bad:
-Poor game management at the end. Milroe throwing the ball on that last series was a disaster. For whatever reason, the general game management has eroded over the years.
-The officiating was head scratching at best. Bringing back that TD was borderline criminal.
-Run game in general was disappointing. There has to be a way to make the game easier for Milroe. Unless I'm mistaken, there wasn't a single RPO with him on the edge yesterday? He needs to be a part of the run game, especially if the traditional attack is ineffective. I thought for sure down the stretch he was going to keep one of those handoffs and take off around the edge... To not use his legs is confusing.

Ugly:
-Penalties. What is there to say? It's everywhere. Just an overall lack of discipline in so many areas.

I'd like to add:
-This was the 1st close game in about 3 years that I felt extremely confident in the 2nd half. Mostly due to the DL imposing their will... It's such a different game when they can impact the QB. This team has a chance to improve more than any Saban team at UA, and there was a glimpse of that yesterday between Milroe and the DL. That being said, the penalties and self inflicted wounds will be too much to overcome... I can't remember the last time CNS lost a game where the team just played well and didn't make a ton of mistakes, have a bunch of penalties, or serious game management issues (usually a mix of all 3). If the D can cause havoc and create TO's, and the team doesn't beat itself, it could be a special season.

Good - Milroe's continued ability to bounce back and keep fighting. Special teams with Burnip and Reichard. Not aure if you call the blocked kick special teams, but it was huge. Defense really stood up tall and played well. I could not believe the pressure we got on A&M and it was so so so so so nice. Almost makes me cry thinking about it. Caleb Downs interception at what I considered a crucial part of the game after we turned it over. Absolute great play.

Bad - Offensive line run blocking. Did amazing with their pass blocking in my eyes, but their run blocking was terrible.

Ugly - Burton's mouth and turnover and then Dallas Turner's penalty negating a touchdown. Been saying it about Burton since his time at Georgia that his play can't catch up with his mouth. He had a hell of a game, but his turnover and mouth is what I will remember. Turner's decision to even be close to hitting a guy continues to show zero leadership ability from a guy that could be the best in the country. I hope he figures it out. I also want to call out Kool-Aid. I am tired of his approach and everything I see on TV. Really don't care what his coverage rating is, because I see a lot of getting beat, what appears to be partial effort, and muffed punts. I said it in the In-Game thread, that he appears to be coasting on that offseason and pre-season hype. Stinks to have a guy with his size,speed, and talent to not lead this team that is starving for it. Got two in him and Turner that seriously could rally the entire team if they chose to.

Good: Road win that I didn't really think we would win.

Bad: Having a lack of confidence in the "Good" statement.

Ugly: The WR skip pass on first down with aTm having no timeouts and kneeling would have guaranteed the "w" without having to heave a long pass out of bounds on 4th down to run out the clock.

Milroe.
"That play it still hurts to this day," Milroe said Monday. "That wasn’t a smart play by me. I should’ve just handed the ball off. That was not part of the play at all. I should’ve just handed the ball off. That’s definitely something I can build off of and learn off of. That was not part of the play, and I should’ve handed the ball off.”

It all ended up working out as Milroe scrambled around and launched the ball on fourth down to eventually run out the clock, but the mistake on first down could have been disastrous for the Crimson Tide.

Back
Top Bottom