| FTBL Good Article on Arenas

G

Yes....TerryP this is from the ESPN BLOG!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-1-349/Alabama-s-Arenas-staying-busy.html

Alabama's Arenas staying busy

Javier Arenas is definitely Alabama's version of the little engine that could.

You gotta love the guy.

He's already one of the most accomplished kick returners this league has ever seen. The 5-foot-09, 198-pound junior had 147 yards in punt returns in the 20-6 win over Tulane last week, including an 87-yard return for a touchdown.

It was his fourth punt return for a touchdown during his career, tying David Palmer for the Alabama career record. The SEC record is six, set by Kentucky's Derek Abney from 2000-03.

Arenas is even busier than usual this season. He's started the first two games at cornerback. He had to leave the Tulane game in the third quarter with a concussion.

His response as to why he didn't come back was priceless.

"I wanted to go back in, but I had to take the proper precautions ... and they took my helmet," said Arenas, who was back at practice Monday and has been cleared to play this Saturday against Western Kentucky.

Arenas' 147 yards in punt returns last week broke the Alabama single-game record, which had stood for more than 60 yards. The old record was 122 yards, set by Harry Gilmer in 1947.

The Crimson Tide needed every one of those yards, too, considering they had no rushing yards and 37 passing yards at the half.

For his career, Arenas is now averaging 13.2 yards a punt return. That's coming on 59 attempts. The SEC record with a minimum of 100 attempts is held by Vanderbilt's Lee Nalley, who averaged a remarkable 15.6 yards a return for his career from 1947-49.

Nalley also holds the NCAA record for most career punt return yardage (1,695 yards), and he did it in only three seasons.

Cant wait until he returns one on the barn and LSU!!!

Back
Top Bottom