Gonna try deep frying a couple of turkeys

Inject with favorite flavoring... Cajun seasoning and butter was normally my go-to. Get the peanut oil a bit hotter than you want to cook the turkey at, because when you drop the bird in, the temp will drop and takes a while to bring it back to temp. Make sure and rest the bird for a while after you take it out, covered tightly. That will help the juices set in evenly while also keeping it piping hot (it'll actually continue to cook a few more degrees while wrapped). Really no need to brine a bird you're going to fry, but it doesn't hurt. Just make sure if you do, get all the water off and dry it well before dropping it in the oil.

I haven't fried on in several years now, but I have an oil less fryer now so I'm tempted to do one again this year.

I've never fried a turkey, but have some friends who do this every year. One of them told me the trick prior to putting oil in the pan, put the bird in, fill it with water, then take the bird out and you'll be able to mark the level of liquid needed at the beginning to fry the bird.

Most accidents happen when people don't do this, put the bird into the hot oil causing it to overflow and ignite. Mark the level up front so you don't make the darwin list.

Just now seeing this thread. I guess you have to get use to your pot, but the one we use we will fill just over 1/3 of the way with oil and heat it up to about 350, then slowly drop the bird in and slowly add more oil to almost cover the entire bird as it heats back up to around 325.

Then about 4-5 beers later, or for you none drinkers about 3 mins per pound, yank that sucker out and let it cool just a bit before carving it up.

I think the reason most people screw up and it overflows is that they don't account for the water in the turkey, which obviously doesn't mix with the oil and tends to boil over and drip on the flames.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

we will fill just over 1/3 of the way with oil and heat it up to about 350, then slowly drop the bird in and slowly add more oil to almost cover the entire bird as it heats back up to around 325.

about 3 mins per pound,

Yeah, after we had finished and talked with a few cousins at my dad's Thanksgiving, almost everyone did as you suggested. Except for the number of beers, which varied greatly.

3 minutes per pound was just right for our 16 lbs. birds.

Back
Top Bottom