| FTBL Georgia stays No. 1 in Senior Bowler Tavarres King's college football rankings

The 2012 BCS national championship game is over. The end-of-the-season college football poll results are in.
All agree: Alabama is No. 1 in college football.

Well, maybe not all. Tavarres King disagrees.

The Georgia wide receiver caught five passes for 142 yards in the Bulldogs' 32-28 loss to Alabama on Dec. 1 in the SEC championship game, which ended with the Dawgs on the Crimson Tide's 8-yard line.

"I think we were No. 1," King said. "Georgia was about to win the SEC championship. The clock just ran out on us.

"I think we were the No. 1 team in the nation. I feel like we could play with anybody on any day at any time, and I feel like we showed that.

"Hats off to Alabama for winning the national title, but I feel like Georgia was right there. I feel like in the years to come, Georgia will be back in that position to win that game."

Georgia rebounded from its second loss of the season in the SEC title game to beat Nebraska 45-31 in the Capital One Bowl, with King catching three passes for 104 yards and a touchdown against the Cornhuskers.

The Bulldogs were fourth in the final coaches poll and fifth in the final AP poll for the 2012 season.

King is in Gulf Breeze training at the Athletes' Performance facility in preparation for the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine.

King's Georgia teammate, safety Shawn Williams, also is training here. Williams had a slightly more tempered view on where the Bulldogs stacked up for the 2012 season.

"I think it goes back to anybody can be beat on any day," Williams said. "Both teams have a tremendous amount of talent and, obviously, great coaches. So I can't really say, 'We should be No. 1; we should be No. 2.' We gave it all we had."

King caught 42 passes for 950 yards and nine touchdowns during the 2012 season. His average of 22.6 yards per reception was the best in the nation for any player who caught more than 26 passes.

King said he hopes to show NFL scouts during Senior Bowl practices that he's more than a deep threat.

"I'm looking to turn some heads, really," he said. "Give it everything I've got out there, play my best game, practice my best and compete.

"There're aspects of my game that everybody feels I need to work on, and I feel like I know what those things are, and, hopefully, I can show them I've gotten better.

"I feel like I need to work on my underneath game and being consistent catching the ball. Consistency is a key in my position. If I can show them I'm a consistent route runner and make the catches, everything will work out in my favor."

King and Williams are part of a six-player Georgia contingent coming to the Jan. 26 Senior Bowl, joining defensive tackle John Jenkins, linebacker Cornelius Washington, cornerback Sanders Commings and safety Bacarri Rambo.

Back
Top Bottom