| FTBL FSU Game Notes

T&B

Jalen has improved. He had better timing, and better touch on his passes. The TD to 3 was perfectly thrown, and the pass to 11 late in the game probably should have been caught, but either way was an even more impressive pass than the one to 3 earlier. That was a difficult pass, and it was placed perfectly.

No way to really grade Hurts however due to him running for his life all night. I saw a lot of "their QB is better than ours" on the message boards last night to which I would ask which one protected the football better ? Francois turnovers sunk the FSU ship. Hurts made good decisions, and protected the ball. BTW Francois finished the night with a QBR of 18; Hurts had a QBR of 30. So there's that.

To those wanting to see Tua... I do believe a mortal TF would have had a nervous breakdown having to deal with that much pressure last night. Hurts is one of only a couple of QB's in the country that could have prevented Bama from losing 60 or 70 yards worth of sacks last night. Remember that. Hurts can handle the bright lights.

The young WR's didn't have much of an impact, but watching them run routes their speed is impressive. 11 and 6 are going to stretch the field sooner than later. One time I'd like to see 3, 4, 6, and 11 run fly routes simultaneously. lol

No more hype. The. Defense. Has. Reloaded. No doubt about it.

Buggs is/was a monster last night. Extremely powerful player that was very disruptive for FSU when he was on the field. Getting him from lsu was huge. 99, 49, 94, 69, etc., monsters lol

SDH may have lost a half of a half step, but he reads plays so quickly it allows him to make plays one after the other. You hear coach talking about "eye discipline" - SDH is the master of eye discipline. I'd like to see that knee brace come off, but other than that SDH really is such an important piece of this defense. He reminds me of of Demeco Ryans.

Thank the heavens the game plan was to actually utilize the depth on the roster last night ! Players were being rotated early and often last night. Young players were being trusted to perform, and they did. Bama has no depth advantage if they don't utilize the depth ! If Bama utilized their depth vs Clemson more efficiently maybe Bama is looking to three-peat this season. It looks to me like a long film study of the Clemson game led the staff to believe that the second, or maybe third string 5 star is a better player than the gassed first string 5 star. lol Lets all hope so.

Clearly there was a lot to be desired from the OL. I was never a big fan of moving an AA RT to LT. If it works out then 73 makes some extra money down the road, but if it doesn't work out you've set back the development and performance of your OL IMO. I thought 73 had an average game at LT which is nothing to be ashamed of vs the likes of FSU, but I thought his replacement at RT 77 really struggled. My opinion is 73 would have solidified the right side, and one of the other 5 stars could have probably played at an "average" level at LT. JMHO

Other than that I'm gonna agree with CNS, and admit it's really hard to grade OL without watching the game over and over specifically watching each OL every snap. Something is wrong in there, and I'm sure they'll work to iron it out. The good news is some of the poor performance was letting guys on the edges run free due to blown assignments, or a lack of communication. That can be fixed, but I still think we are going to have a different RT at some point this season.

With all that said I'd pay 20 bucks to get a sideline shot of Brent Key, CNS, or Hurts grabbing some OL facemask, and chewing some asses ! Somebody on this team needs to light a fire under this units ass !

I would love to know why Bama refuses to let Hurts get under center ? Please. Someone, anyone, tell us why ?

How about inside the 10 yard line ? Can we get the QB under center inside the 10, and let these RB's hit the hole with some speed ? WTF ! I thought we were going more Pro ? Hell if its gonna be shotgun all night then run the damn jet sweep a couple times ! lol

Levi Wallace should no longer be referred to as "the former walk on." That kid can play.

Bama has got to let Tony Brown rush the passer more. He's so damn fast, and physical. Me personally I'd find a way to utilize Brown more often in the pass rush. I'd take brown over fitz in that role.

How did the former NE staffer manage to not hit the TE's last night with all that pressure on the edges ? Anyone ?

Not one single screen ? Not one ?

How about those passes to the RB's ? Where did those go ? Bo came within a fingernail of breaking one on the swing early.

Long story short was not impressed with Daboll ability to dial something up to give Hurts some help with all that pressure.

Moses looks legit. He's a natural football player. What we all would have given to have that combination of physical and athletic ability ammaright ?

Holcombe is underrated. With all these LB injuries the good news is Holcombe, Wilson, Moses, and maybe Allen will get more PT. If everyone comes back healthy it only helps the depth long term to get these guys more reps.

JK minus the brainfart was possibly the biggest weapon in the game which is weird to say of a punter.

I'm sure Diggs was told to play everything safe last night, but he is clearly not the next Eddie Jackson or Javy, or even Cyrus at PR. I'd like to see Ruggs sooner than later get a crack at PR.

Great win. Like coach said he knows where this team is now, and has the luxury of finding out what needs tinkering with without a loss. Thats huge.

Hopefully none of these injuries are serious. Lewis would be a big loss. Big. That kid is beast mode.

Jimbo had his team prepared, and they came ready to play. Tip of the hat to him and his team. Bama's depth really was noticeable, and lets all hope that philosophy of playing all these guys in big games continues.

Under the circumstances I thought Hurts played a great game.

Side note:

Last year Bama was letting the swag on the field hang loose especially around the Tennessee game. CNS reeled it in a little, and I thought the team never really played with the same amount of juice after that.

I'd like to see the team come out a little more relaxed somehow, and bring the juice. Not sure what the key to that is, but when Bama is letting the swag on a little they seem to be at their best IMO. Just a thought.

His anticipation has to get better ... there were a few plays he could save his self the abuse of running by knowing if it zone or man and when it is man , what player is covering who and knowing the pass patterns ahead of time and playing the play in his head ... we had a lot of open players ( tight ends ) that went unseen because jalen scrambled to soon . And from the looks of our place kicking we are gonna need that improvement to make sure it's point after attempt and not 35+ yard field goals .

But a huge win that he was a large part of ... but he hast to improve or we will suffer another Clemson type lose ..

He can pass the ball at any time before he passes the line of scrimmage, he needs to keep his head up and realize if pressure is coming that someone is most likely open . That's all . I'm not saying he hast to be Chris chandler back there , just scramble to make the pass not the run , that should be the main objective .

The pass to 3 that ended up incomplete because 3 came down with a foot out of bounds was late. If Hurts throws it sooner its a completion, and the drive continues. Other than that I thought Hurts was running for his life all night long.

I agree that the o-line is shit which forces him to scramble , but he can't just trust the scramble part of his game ... Just keep your eyes up ... If he starts burning defenses , they will lay off the heavy pressure .

Jalen has indeed improved a great deal. His touch on the long balls is noticeably better. He is a very cool cucumber under pressure as well. He still needs to improve in clock awareness and management and I'd like to see him be a little more vocal as the leader our there.

Everyone is busy criticizing the O-Line. First, we all need to remember that we played an EXTREMELY talented team last night with two All Americans on defense, a fantastic D-Line, and top tier speed. This may be the best defensive front we will see all year. Having said that, the line looked incoherent at times; confusion, missed assignments, poor communication, lack of fire. Much of this has a lot to do with the new assembly that is our O-Line. Sure Williams, Pierschbacher and Bozeman all started last year, but only Bozeman in the same spot. That's 4 out of 5 offensive line positions with new players. Let's hope they just need more time to gel. Oh, and Womack better step it up fast or he will be replaced.

Lots of new names on defense but they sure look good. I do think the defense really needs a clearly distinct go-to leader on the field. I really hope Minkah steps up in that regard. Other than that, we had some problems with their taller receivers and jump balls, but very solid otherwise.

This team is very young and inexperienced but loaded with talent. They will gel as the season goes on.

We also will need to give Mr. Daboll some time to settle in against real competition.

I'd like to see him be a little more vocal as the leader out there.

I'd have to agree with that, but this cat is wired different from most every human on Earth. Nothing raises his pulse.

I'm convinced he would watch an extinction sized object hit the surface of the Earth while never changing facial expression.

PASSING
Jalen Hurts: 10/18, 96 yards, 1 TD; 15 carries, 55 yards

RUSHING
Damien Harris: 9 carries, 73 yards, 1 TD ; 1 catch, 11 yards
Bo Scarbrugh: 15 carries, 40 yards; 1 catch, 4 yards
Najee Harris: 3 carries, 5 yards

RECEIVING
Calvin Ridley: 7 catches, 82 yards, 1 TD
Jalen Hurts: 1 catch, (-1) yards

DEFENSE
Shaun Dion Hamilton: 8 TKL, 3.5 TFL, 1.0 sack
Anthony Averett: 6 TKL
Ronnie Harrison: 5 TKL, 1.0 TFL, 1.0 sack
Terrell Lewis: 5 TKL, 1.0 TFL
Minkah Fitzpatrick: 5 TKL, 0.5 TFL, 1 blocked FG
Rashaan Evans: 5 TKL, 0.5 TFL, 1 PBU
Da'Ron Payne: 5 TKL
Mack Wilson 3 TKL, 1 INT
Christian Miller: 3 TKL, 1.0 TFL
Hootie Jones: 2 TKL
Levi Wallace: 2 TKL, 0.5 TFL, 1 INT, 1 PBU
Isaiah Buggs: 2 TKL
Tony Brown: 1 TKL, 1 PBU
Daniel Wright: 1 TKL
Shyheim Carter: 1 TKL
Trevon Diggs: 1 TKL
Dylan Moses: 1 TKL, 1 FF
Cam Sims: 1 TKL
Keith Holcombe: 1 TKL, 1 PBU, 1 FR
Mekhi Brown: 1 TKL
Josh Frazier: 1 TKL, 2 PBU
Quinnen Williams: 1 TKL
Raekwon Davis: 1 TKL, 1.0 TFL, 1.0 sack
Damien Harris: 1 blocked punt

SPECIAL TEAMS
JK Scott: 6 punts, 35.2 YPP, Long: 53 yards, Inside 20: 3
Andy Pappanastos: 3/5 FGs, Long: 35 yards, 2/2 PAT
Henry Ruggs III: 1 KOR, 15 yards

I'd have to agree with that, but this cat is wired different from most every human on Earth. Nothing raises his pulse.

I'm convinced he would watch an extinction sized object hit the surface of the Earth while never changing facial expression.

I actually laughed out loud when one of FSUs DBs attempted to shit talk him on one his scrambles and Jalen just looked at him and walked back to the huddle without even changing expressions.

Good stuff T&B. We are on the same page on a lot of things

-But Hurts 10/18 for 96 yards... Only 1 receiver with a reception?! That stinks... I'm sorry

-Buggs appears to be our best defensive lineman. Obviously Davis made the play in his little PT, Q Williams did too. I'd be happy to see more of them moving forward, although I can't see Buggs coming off the field along with Payne. Hand just isn't flashing much.

-I'd be perfectly happy if Levi Wallace ends up playing as much as any CB. His length and smarts make up for any lack of speed. Seems super dependable

-The under center thing... Agree 100%. Shotgun runs are so P12

Good stuff T&B. We are on the same page on a lot of things

-But Hurts 10/18 for 96 yards... Only 1 receiver with a reception?! That stinks... I'm sorry

-Buggs appears to be our best defensive lineman. Obviously Davis made the play in his little PT, Q Williams did too. I'd be happy to see more of them moving forward, although I can't see Buggs coming off the field along with Payne. Hand just isn't flashing much.

-I'd be perfectly happy if Levi Wallace ends up playing as much as any CB. His length and smarts make up for any lack of speed. Seems super dependable

-The under center thing... Agree 100%. Shotgun runs are so P12

You can count on one hand how many pass attempts Hurts had when he didn't have someone in his face before he had even got to his second step in his drop. There were big problems with the passing game, Jalen wasn't one of them.

I would say that Buggs played well but I didnt see any of the d-linemen that didnt honestly, especially in the second half. Payne is without question the best in that group, though and I dont think its close. Dude is 300+ chasing down receivers.

I think Levi cemented himself as the corner opposite Averett IMO and its not even because Diggs played poorly. Levi was just awesome. He plays hard against the run, too.

10 of 18 sounds bad until you factor in almost all the incomplete passes were balls that Jalen had to throw into the stands.

When he had time he was delivering the ball accurately. If there is still a concern with Jalen I would think it's more his ability to anticipate WR's coming open.

It's too bad the networks will not back the freaking camera up from time to time, and let everyone at home see what is happening on the field. Maybe they could show a film room replay of each play between plays ? Would love to know if there are WR's running open, and Jalen simply does not see them.

I also think Jalen does EXACTLY what CNS tells him to do. Protect the football. That one idea has been pounded into Jalens head by CNS.

Lets watch another game or two, and see what he does with more time. I really think he is going to show a lot of improvement. I'm trying not to be a gump about it, but I really believe he is going to come around. The touch on the passes was clearly improved. If he has more time, and if there are open receivers I think he will get them the ball.

Daboll had all off-season to prevent exactly what happened last night.

A simple screen pass would have at least given FSU something to think about. I thought for sure we would see Najee or a TE catch at least one pass. lol

Would love to know if there are WR's running open, and Jalen simply does not see them.

There was def. one play where Bo Scarbrough had about 20 yards between him and the nearest defender (he was in the end-zone) but it was the play where Bozeman literally rolled the ball to him and as he picked up off the turf there were about 3 Seminoles coming at him.

A simple screen pass would have at least given FSU something to think about. I thought for sure we would see Najee or a TE catch at least one pass. lol

I thought Najee was a little tentative in the game, Damien's maturity showed, and they need Bo to run strong inside. Najee will be a great one, but I think first game, big game, affected him a little. I remember early in Trent's freshman year him running the ball gingerly and getting tattooed, then getting a talking to from coaches and other RBs on the sideline. I expect we'll see Najee come into his own in the coming weeks, and then see Jacobs make a game three to five push if he gets over the hamstring well.

RTR,

Tim

10 of 18 sounds bad until you factor in almost all the incomplete passes were balls that Jalen had to throw into the stands.

When he had time he was delivering the ball accurately. If there is still a concern with Jalen I would think it's more his ability to anticipate WR's coming open.

It's too bad the networks will not back the freaking camera up from time to time, and let everyone at home see what is happening on the field. Maybe they could show a film room replay of each play between plays ? Would love to know if there are WR's running open, and Jalen simply does not see them.

I also think Jalen does EXACTLY what CNS tells him to do. Protect the football. That one idea has been pounded into Jalens head by CNS.

Lets watch another game or two, and see what he does with more time. I really think he is going to show a lot of improvement. I'm trying not to be a gump about it, but I really believe he is going to come around. The touch on the passes was clearly improved. If he has more time, and if there are open receivers I think he will get them the ball.

Daboll had all off-season to prevent exactly what happened last night.

Hey man I agree that FSU D is really good and they made it tough on Jalen & OL. Buuuuut, that's what good teams do. So with all due respect to Fresno and CSU, does it really matter what kind of numbers Jalen puts up?

When your talent is at this level, there is only 3-5 competitive games in a season. So I'm going to judge the offensive production much more heavily against FSU than CSU. We tried and tried to do this same game plan against Clemson last year but when you play a great team, with a big time QB, the defensive can't just win the game for you. Not in 2017. The O and more specifically passing game has to be there. 96 yards is pitiful and won't get it done.

All caveats and exceptions aren't necessary... The passing game sucked against a very good defense. We will be playing other very good defenses if a championship is the goal. Jalen & the OL have to get much better and I saw very little difference between last year's less productive offensive games and FSU... (And I do agree play calling is still an issue... FWIW)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom