| RECRUIT Four-star defensive tackle, Timothy Smith, commits to Alabama

B

Bama News

Alabama added a big piece to its 2020 class on Wednesday evening in four-star defensive tackle Timothy Smith, he tells BamaOnLine.

The Sebastian (Fla.) Sebastian River product chose the Crimson Tide over Florida and Georgia, among a number of others.

“Just the way I was treated when I was up there. I know a lot of people always be jumping on the bandwagon, but once you actually see how they operate it’s just beautiful,” he told BOL of why he’s choosing the Crimson Tide. “ I like Sal (Sunseri), his energy, Coach (Brian) Baker, Coach (Nick) Saban, I was just feeling the love. The school program, the tutors, just everything about Bama sat right with me.”

Smith, a former teammate of Tide linebacker Jarez Parks, says he’s known for a while he’s wanted to choose UA.

“I kind of made up my mind once we had visited,” he said. “I was still trying to hold off to see if there were any others schools that fit the requirements. I just kind of got overwhelmed this summer with everyone calling my phone and stuff. I just wanted to get a decision out of the way so I can relax and enjoy my senior season.”

Sal Sunseri, Smith’s primary recruiter, and the rest of the UA staff was happy to hear the news.

“Everybody was excited,” Smith said. “You know Saban is a man of few words. He keeps it straight to the point. Coach Sal, he called my mom excited and everything. I haven’t gotten a chance to speak with Coach Baker yet, but I’m pretty sure he’s pumped up as well.”

At 6-foot-4, 340 pounds, Smith will contribute at nose guard and as a three-technique during his college career.

“I’ve heard people always say DaRon Payne sat in (Saban’s) office at the age of 15 and was offered, and last year was the same exact thing for me as a sophomore,” Smith said. “I’m just excited to see the outcome, what’s going to come out of this at the end. That’s really just it.”

Smith is rated the No. 13 defensive tackle and the No. 156 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Alabama retakes the No. 2 spot in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings with the addition.

Back
Top Bottom