| FTBL Forget Golding, forget play calling on both sides of the ball

I agree 100% with you and bamanc50! DJ Dale is a tremendous problem at NT. He can't hold the point, doesn't get any push and is often blown-up on plays which exposes the LBs. I'm honestly in awe of Georgia's defensive line. Their NT, Jordan Davis, is a beast. The guy is 6'6 340 lbs and is an immovable object that commands double team blocks and still causes havoc! Yes, we need couple of players like that and I believe Saban is addressing the issue in this years recruiting class with Jaheim Oats ( 6'6 348 lbs). Moody and Kennedy should be rotating in with Henry and Harris. No reason to keep those guys on the bench. Moody is thumper with speed, awareness and knowledge of the defense. As for the DBs, can we please teach them to look for the ball. Can we mix up the blitzing packages, play some zone on obvious passing downs, stop with the pass interference and tackle somebody? Finally, Kool-Aid should be on the field. He's probably the most instinctive DB we have outside on Moore.

Offense is a different story. Outside of the obvious play calling issues, our offensive line is a wreck. This year we are considerably smaller, not as strong at the point of attack and it shows. Chris Owens is a center and noting else. He is a tremendous liability at RT. While Cohen is likely gonna be a great player, he is not there yet. He needs to add more weight and strength because like DJ Dale, he is getting pushed around. I've mentioned it before, but I would love to see Brown at LG, George at RT and Kight at RG. The younger WRs should see the field. Williams is definitely an asset to the team, but he lacks consistent effort and his blocking is atrocious. Slade Bolden disappears and Metchie has not elevated his game to be the goto guy. If Earle is Waddle like, then put him on the field. If Hall and Brooks have improved then put them in the game. If Baker and Holden are ready to show up, then give them more playing time. If Saban is unwilling to make changes along the offensive line (especially with Owens) and at WR, then I don't see our issues improving. Just my opinion.
“As for the DBs, can we please teach them to look for the ball.”

To me, it’s obvious Saban must coach them to not turn around while in coverage because Bama’s DB’s have been doing the very same thing since 2007. I suppose he feels a PI penalty is preferable to a TD if the DB gets lost on the play by turning his head too early. It’s absolutely maddening as a fan though.

To me, it’s obvious Saban must coach them to not turn around while in coverage because Bama’s DB’s have been doing the very same thing since 2007. I suppose he feels a PI penalty is preferable to a TD if the DB gets lost on the play by turning his head too early. It’s absolutely maddening as a fan though.
Do not know this for sure but I suspect the thought is you slow down when you turn your head so do not turn your head until you determine the ball is coming based on reading the WR's eyes or hands especially if you are beat (out of phase). Just a theory.

We don't have a R. Foster or R. Ragland at LB.
If you'll recall, they couldn't cover late routes either: that was all CJ when he was covering passing downs with Nico at WILL. When CJ left they hoped Foster could fill the void.

Am I the only one who sees this trend of "we need to get these types of guys back from those 2011-2015 squads" to improve the defense when we're just a few years away from "we need to change the defensive personnel because they're getting beaten by spread offenses?"

Look up Chris Brown and his article on Saban's pass coverage: in phase and out of phase. The article is over a decade old and can be found on SmartFootball.com

What's often suggested is these defenders need to be looking back for the ball when they're not in position to do so which, inevitably, leaves a good 15 or so yards (where the receiver would break) undefended.

There are some instances where you're right. There are a lot of instances where looking back would create a bigger separation and a bigger play for the opposing offenses.

Look up Chris Brown and his article on Saban's pass coverage: in phase and out of phase. The article is over a decade old and can be found on SmartFootball.com

What's often suggested is these defenders need to be looking back for the ball when they're not in position to do so which, inevitably, leaves a good 15 or so yards (where the receiver would break) undefended.

There are some instances where you're right. There are a lot of instances where looking back would create a bigger separation and a bigger play for the opposing offenses.
Not only that, NFL practices the same concept as well.

If you'll recall, they couldn't cover late routes either: that was all CJ when he was covering passing downs with Nico at WILL. When CJ left they hoped Foster could fill the void.

Am I the only one who sees this trend of "we need to get these types of guys back from those 2011-2015 squads" to improve the defense when we're just a few years away from "we need to change the defensive personnel because they're getting beaten by spread offenses?"
Not me … Bama had to change the size of their LB’s and safeties for that matter to combat the spread. It’s not their size that’s the problem because Smart’s recruiting the same size guys … in fact, the same guys. So, it’s either Bama’s been landing the wrong ones or they’re not being coached the same or the schemes are different or some combination.

There's 1 skill/talent/development that makes everyone better.... And that's rushing the passer. When you get to the QB, it's amazing how much faster those LB's look, how many less penalties the DB's get, and how awesome those safeties are at everything.

So in essence, they Allen & then Sanders injuries basically made every position look less capable.... As well as the lack of interior pass rush.... IMO, of course.

I wanted to point out something to what Saban said last night, and i wanted to reinforce my point. Again, this is on DL line. they have to be aggressive off the line.

Saban: "We only have one fumble recovery in six games, which is unheard of, and we're not causing fumbles, we're not attacking the ball on defense. When we play a team like this that has so many loose plays, you have to attack the ball in space and you have to create turnovers."

I want to be very clear:

The issue is not really the scheme... The issue is the execution of the scheme. Players are half-ass executing the game plan on the field the last few weeks. If you have a cover 2 assignment, and you cover wrong guy? Busted coverage. If you shoot Gap A, but you go to Gap B, Busted Gap.

This goes back to players saying that the team were not watching film together. Ithink that changed this week. so we'll see tomorrow night.

I want to be very clear:

The issue is not really the scheme... The issue is the execution of the scheme. Players are half-ass executing the game plan on the field the last few weeks. If you have a cover 2 assignment, and you cover wrong guy? Busted coverage. If you shoot Gap A, but you go to Gap B, Busted Gap.

This goes back to players saying that the team were not watching film together. Ithink that changed this week. so we'll see tomorrow night.

That is splitting hairs. The scheme - every call - has a ton of checks built into it, in it's original concept. It requires HT to communicate multiple times with the other 10 guys on every play. It's not working - guys aren't getting the check, or are not able to process the check in time for the snap. The result are guys busting assignments because they DON'T KNOW the call. They are not firing off the ball, or able to play downhill, because they are thinking about the check as the ball is snapped.

The D has only looked good the past 2 years when they took out all the checks at the LOS and just played the call and pinned their ears back. If they simplify the D like they did vs. OM this year, or last year late in the season, then they can be really good on D. If they keep doing what they did vs. Florida and A&M, every offense will find extended periods of success against this D and games will be more pressure filled then they need to be. That pressure goes to the offense, which was not supposed to have to lead the team this year and win a bunch of shootouts.

That is splitting hairs. The scheme - every call - has a ton of checks built into it, in it's original concept. It requires HT to communicate multiple times with the other 10 guys on every play. It's not working - guys aren't getting the check, or are not able to process the check in time for the snap. The result are guys busting assignments because they DON'T KNOW the call. They are not firing off the ball, or able to play downhill, because they are thinking about the check as the ball is snapped.

The D has only looked good the past 2 years when they took out all the checks at the LOS and just played the call and pinned their ears back. If they simplify the D like they did vs. OM this year, or last year late in the season, then they can be really good on D. If they keep doing what they did vs. Florida and A&M, every offense will find extended periods of success against this D and games will be more pressure filled then they need to be. That pressure goes to the offense, which was not supposed to have to lead the team this year and win a bunch of shootouts.
Again, If they don't know the calls, then they're not in the film room... they're not doing their part... Let's go back to what Saban was saying last night. See below. If they can't go to class, then they're not studying their playbook.

Saban: "We have a lot of guys that get what I call 'dirty sleep.' They stay up too late, they're on the internet all night, they're playing video games, then they can't get up and go to class the next day."

Again, If they don't know the calls, then they're not in the film room... they're not doing their part... Let's go back to what Saban was saying last night. See below. If they can't go to class, then they're not studying their playbook.

It's not film work (which I am sure could always be better). We are asking them to do too much. One guy sees what the D is aligned in. Then there are motions or shifts. He is communicating to the rest of the D. Sometimes multiple times. That communication lasts until the ball is snapped. There isn't enough time to hear the call (and that can be a challenge itself) and then remember what the new responsibilities are vs the #2 and #3 WR are (and do those guys change if they switch release?). This isn't a film issue, it's asking too much from the players. That is painfully obvious.

Alabama's D is 5th - in the STATE of ALABAMA - in points allowed per drive.

When the D was simplified vs. OM, the D dominated.

But back then we/Bama had the D-line to cover the back end!

Continue to read everyone's points on what they believe the issue is. It is way to much of an oversimplification to tie this to one thing. It is all the things everyone has mentioned. Saban states it like what is it I am doing to contribute to the issues or resolving the issue. Everyone has something to work tp improve. Each must go and improve the areas they need to fix including coaches.

Some of the quotes from Saban are very telling and concerning about this team. As I have stated in other threads, Saban is much more transparent than many believe he is. When he says the team is not taking care of the details he means it. Something as simple as getting a good nights sleep or not taking care of the details practice after practice or play after play. All of this has a cumulative effect and creates performances that are much less than they could or should be.

Back
Top Bottom