| FTBL Forget Golding, forget play calling on both sides of the ball

Kirk Van de Graaff

Gravity Checker
Staff
Bama needs leaders, vocal players that hold each team mate accountable. Get that and things will start to change, then and only then will Golding get any credit. That falls on him. I am impressed by Goldings recruiting, I don't care who takes up for the guy, he has to get the right play makers believing in the schemes and be vocal. To'oto'o is not it right now, he will be but right now they need to listen to Will Anderson and Malachi Moore. No more leading with your head man, you are too important to the team and vocal. This might help Golding, but I don't care who disagrees with me, Golding isn't it. Leaders are needed, step up. Mathis? Anderson? Moore? To'oto'o, FFS somebody. Accountability. that's what its gonna take. I truly feel sorry for MSU. Crowd noise is the common factor with Florida and TAM. Figure that shit out and game will change. Just my point of view.

Our Defense-To many blown assignments, running into each other, the TEs been wide open since beginning, middle of the field open. It all comes down to SOMEONE seeing this. It will be ok. We have lost games before and went on to win. It is not over. we have players hurt, NO EXCUSE. Again I feel sorry for MSU.

O line, get the right side straight add that extra lineman or pull a TE in for line blocks or setting the edge. I saw a chop block in the game on the center but it was a no call. fine you win in the trenches. I take nothing away from TAM. Great plan, and was enforced. I am not a fan of 1st and goal at the 4 and pass. B Rob running like a freight train. I am not a fan of Pete Golding, his defensive style has to have some simplifications if that's the problem or a flipping leader. I say this because we all are armchair QBs here, but I have a solid 50 plus year in that armchair, and thats my Fucking team, ALABMA CRIMSON TIDE. I will be buried with it, I bleed it, I love it. And despite what anybody says the Fans are the most knowledgeable in a collegiate base. We have watched the Wishbone, Pistol, POP pro set to wide open hurry up. We have seen it all, and ALABAMA evolves, Do your thing Coach, I got your back, but I want to see some changes , (not drastic) but changes in the inside pass plays and TE plays if you could, TY, a loyal, and avid Bama fan for a LONG time.

Lastly but not least, EVERYBODY here has a right to say what they want, not one person here can tell me or others not to assess a coaches play, they are fair game, I draw the line at players, but soon they will be getting paid, and all bets are off. We as a whole have our rights to want a new coordinator, We have a right to say In Saban we trust and Golding is fine. So if a guy likes Golding I am fine with it, but I am on the not so happy with Golding bandwagon, and I will say my peace, but not argue with opposing posters, but will debate in a honest, fair and respectful manner. Or try to, its on the other guy.

Roll tide each and everyone of you, the passion of each of you shows, Why we started this Board, So all can say their peace.

I fucking agree with you! I'm pumped to go out there and watch them run over me.... :/

Seriously, I agree.. this is more on players than the coaches right now. Will Anderson was emotional today and i think it'll resonate with the players going forward. The loss was preventable but folks gonna have to do lot of soul searching this week.

I fucking agree with you! I'm pumped to go out there and watch them run over me.... :/

Seriously, I agree.. this is more on players than the coaches right now. Will Anderson was emotional today and i think it'll resonate with the players going forward. The loss was preventable but folks gonna have to do lot of soul searching this week.
I read your posts a lot, you have a great perspective, Mostly agree with you in most cases

Noted in a previous post, but it's not as easy to "plug and play" transfers as it can look sometimes. In the big moments, chemistry matters. Experience TOGETHER matters, on and off the field. The process is the process for a reason, and I don't recall microwaving being a part of it. It ain't just players either... Staff turnover also impacts reactions and relationships in big moments. Again, slow cookin' tastes better.

So as the year goes on, this team will get the opportunity to gain that experience together. Personally I'd love to see a couple of these hungry backups get a chance, but if not, CNS is pretty darn good at finding the best players. Plenty of talent to get the job done, I'll look forward to seeing how the staff and players handle this loss. Great test of character!

Noted in a previous post, but it's not as easy to "plug and play" transfers as it can look sometimes. In the big moments, chemistry matters. Experience TOGETHER matters, on and off the field. The process is the process for a reason, and I don't recall microwaving being a part of it. It ain't just players either... Staff turnover also impacts reactions and relationships in big moments. Again, slow cookin' tastes better.

So as the year goes on, this team will get the opportunity to gain that experience together. Personally I'd love to see a couple of these hungry backups get a chance, but if not, CNS is pretty darn good at finding the best players. Plenty of talent to get the job done, I'll look forward to seeing how the staff and players handle this loss. Great test of character!
Good Post

Appreciate it man. I read your as well, and tend to agree with you for the most part as well. I'm that type of person who have to look at everything and draw a conclusion based on what I see, not what others are saying. I see maybe 70-80 percent of people wants Golding and O'Brien gone, and I can see the argument for that, but I watched the game again, and I thought BOB did decent job for the most part. he put us in a position to win the game and he blew it with his decision making at Goal line. I think he was looking at whole situation from NFL perspective, and he forgot at that moment he was dealing with young kids and etc.

I think BOB will learn from it, and probably won't make that same mistake again. Three things I had issue with him during the game: He didn't call a play where it would open up the middle of the field often. Billingsley and Latu would've had more opportunities had they were used more. He went away from what was working for few weeks to forcing stuff that clearly wasn't working.

Second issues was Goal line decision, which I won't get into it. I think we all know how we feel about that.

Third issue: Decision making by the players, dropped passes, poor executions, etc. Lack of adjustments after halftime.

Defense:

I thought Peter made adjustments after half time and we did great, until late 4th quarter and we just forgot what was working and I don't know what happened, but I dont' think Both Peter and Bill deserve 100 percent of the blame. they should shoulder at least 60 percent of the blaming, and rest should be on players. That's how I look at it.

Appreciate it man. I read your as well, and tend to agree with you for the most part as well. I'm that type of person who have to look at everything and draw a conclusion based on what I see, not what others are saying. I see maybe 70-80 percent of people wants Golding and O'Brien gone, and I can see the argument for that, but I watched the game again, and I thought BOB did decent job for the most part. he put us in a position to win the game and he blew it with his decision making at Goal line. I think he was looking at whole situation from NFL perspective, and he forgot at that moment he was dealing with young kids and etc.

I think BOB will learn from it, and probably won't make that same mistake again. Three things I had issue with him during the game: He didn't call a play where it would open up the middle of the field often. Billingsley and Latu would've had more opportunities had they were used more. He went away from what was working for few weeks to forcing stuff that clearly wasn't working.

Second issues was Goal line decision, which I won't get into it. I think we all know how we feel about that.

Third issue: Decision making by the players, dropped passes, poor executions, etc. Lack of adjustments after halftime.

Defense:

I thought Peter made adjustments after half time and we did great, until late 4th quarter and we just forgot what was working and I don't know what happened, but I dont' think Both Peter and Bill deserve 100 percent of the blame. they should shoulder at least 60 percent of the blaming, and rest should be on players. That's how I look at it.
Pretty much how I look at it, I will say crowd noise at opposing fans sites seem to disrupt their flow. I am not a fan of Golding, and I aint questioning Coach Saban, but I really would have had a long look at Strong when he was analyzing here. I love the guys defense.

I would perfer to look at the following name:

Phil Parker, Iowa (not likely as he has been there long time)​

Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin ( we need to take a look at him again)​

Manny Diaz (could get fired )​

Dan Lanning/Glenn Schumann ( this is likely the outome... Saban will take one...)​

Jeremy Pruitt- As much folks want him back, I don't think it'll happen. If he does come back to Alabama, it'll be 3 or 4 years before he get another chance.

Being a vocal leader is just the start of it with To'o To'o, he's just been flat out bad on the field, too. If Anderson can be that guy as a vocal leader and also allow to translate on the field to more consistency for him and everyone else I'm all for it. I'm just super pessimistic right now because outside of the Ole Miss game all I've seen is regression. It feels like that Ole Miss game was the outlier. I really hope these guys can prove me wrong and make me eat my words but I haven't felt this negative about a Bama team in a long, long time.

I would perfer to look at the following name:

Phil Parker, Iowa (not likely as he has been there long time)​

Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin ( we need to take a look at him again)​

Manny Diaz (could get fired )​

Dan Lanning/Glenn Schumann ( this is likely the outome... Saban will take one...)​

Jeremy Pruitt- As much folks want him back, I don't think it'll happen. If he does come back to Alabama, it'll be 3 or 4 years before he get another chance.

Jim Leonhard would be "MY" top choice of that group.

Being a vocal leader is just the start of it with To'o To'o, he's just been flat out bad on the field, too. If Anderson can be that guy as a vocal leader and also allow to translate on the field to more consistency for him and everyone else I'm all for it. I'm just super pessimistic right now because outside of the Ole Miss game all I've seen is regression. It feels like that Ole Miss game was the outlier. I really hope these guys can prove me wrong and make me eat my words but I haven't felt this negative about a Bama team in a long, long time.
Henry lead the team with 41 tackles. Will Anderson is right there with 39 tackles. You know whos leadinga fter that?

Hellams with 37 tackles and Battle with 33 tackles. Harris with 31 tackles.

Where is the DL ? Mathis lead the whole DL line with 22 tackles. After that it's Young with 17 tackles.

Harris should be right there with Too Too and Anderson leading the teams in tackling, but he's not.

Another thing I've noticed is that Too Too has 0 and Harris has 1 sack total for the year.

Now let's switch gears for a moment.

Mathis has 3.5 and Andresonhas 3 sacks for the year. Rest of the team has either 1 or less for the year.

Team has Forced Fumbles for the year and the number is... 2. Total of 2 for the year. We're way into October and we have two players averaging 3 sacks a game, we've forced 2 fumbles as of now, and yet Secondary has 7 interceptions for the year. So the issue to me is not the secondary rotation, it's more of the scheme we're running right now. Saban and Golding needs to be more aggressive with DL line, Creating blitzes for LBs/DL to get to QB faster and make them throw bad pass and allow secondary to make play. I think Golding needs to be agressive in a way we play faster, not having to think. Saban has to give him more freedom.

So all in all, I don't think the issue is really more on players, but more of how we are executing playcalling from coach's perspective and how it flows down to the field for the player to execute.

Crowd noise will be a factor again Saturday unless we put up a couple of quick scores and quiet them. It worked in Gainesville until the second half started. Those damn fans got loud again thinking they had a chance.

This is my take and it has been all year. And just so you know I'm a professional arm chair coach and have been for many years. Our problem on defense is the middle is soft. We don't have a big space eater in the middle like Payne or Quinnen or Ashawn Robinson that can command double teams. DJ Dale is not adequate to stuff the run. He's always being pushed around by one guy. Toto and Harris are just too small. Watch them during a game. When they're not being flattened by offensive linemen they are trying to run around offensive lineman to get to the play, thus running themselves out of the play. We need middle linebackers who can take on blocks and push linemen back and blow up a run play. CJ, Reuben, Dontae, Mack, all these guys loved to hit and they would beat the crap out of O linemen on every play. And Hellams is definitely a liability. He is always lost. Why is he getting more PT than Branch? I don't get it.

And the other problem we have is intensity. Outside of Will, we don't have a single player that plays with fire and anger. I know it's not PC, but to play good defense you have to have some hate in your soul. You have to hate the ball carrier and want to take his head off. That's why we miss so many tackles and let guys run right past us. We don't have any intensity. And I am not sure that these things can be corrected in a couple of weeks. This team doesn't have the right mindset to play big boy football. In a word, we are soft. This defense looks more like a big 12 defense than an SEC defense. I definitely want to get rid of Golding. But some of the players need to sit, too. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I’m in total agreement with what Is being said about the performance of the Bama defense or the lack thereof. My suggestion for the defense is to get in the film room and watch the Georgia defense. Heck, I’m sure over the past few years Kirby and his D players have watched more past Bama D film than anyone can count.

This is my take and it has been all year. And just so you know I'm a professional arm chair coach and have been for many years. Our problem on defense is the middle is soft. We don't have a big space eater in the middle like Payne or Quinnen or Ashawn Robinson that can command double teams. DJ Dale is not adequate to stuff the run. He's always being pushed around by one guy. Toto and Harris are just too small. Watch them during a game. When they're not being flattened by offensive linemen they are trying to run around offensive lineman to get to the play, thus running themselves out of the play. We need middle linebackers who can take on blocks and push linemen back and blow up a run play. CJ, Reuben, Dontae, Mack, all these guys loved to hit and they would beat the crap out of O linemen on every play. And Hellams is definitely a liability. He is always lost. Why is he getting more PT than Branch? I don't get it.

And the other problem we have is intensity. Outside of Will, we don't have a single player that plays with fire and anger. I know it's not PC, but to play good defense you have to have some hate in your soul. You have to hate the ball carrier and want to take his head off. That's why we miss so many tackles and let guys run right past us. We don't have any intensity. And I am not sure that these things can be corrected in a couple of weeks. This team doesn't have the right mindset to play big boy football. In a word, we are soft. This defense looks more like a big 12 defense than an SEC defense. I definitely want to get rid of Golding. But some of the players need to sit, too. Anyway, that's my two cents.
I agree 100% with you and bamanc50! DJ Dale is a tremendous problem at NT. He can't hold the point, doesn't get any push and is often blown-up on plays which exposes the LBs. I'm honestly in awe of Georgia's defensive line. Their NT, Jordan Davis, is a beast. The guy is 6'6 340 lbs and is an immovable object that commands double team blocks and still causes havoc! Yes, we need couple of players like that and I believe Saban is addressing the issue in this years recruiting class with Jaheim Oats ( 6'6 348 lbs). Moody and Kennedy should be rotating in with Henry and Harris. No reason to keep those guys on the bench. Moody is thumper with speed, awareness and knowledge of the defense. As for the DBs, can we please teach them to look for the ball. Can we mix up the blitzing packages, play some zone on obvious passing downs, stop with the pass interference and tackle somebody? Finally, Kool-Aid should be on the field. He's probably the most instinctive DB we have outside on Moore.

Offense is a different story. Outside of the obvious play calling issues, our offensive line is a wreck. This year we are considerably smaller, not as strong at the point of attack and it shows. Chris Owens is a center and noting else. He is a tremendous liability at RT. While Cohen is likely gonna be a great player, he is not there yet. He needs to add more weight and strength because like DJ Dale, he is getting pushed around. I've mentioned it before, but I would love to see Brown at LG, George at RT and Kight at RG. The younger WRs should see the field. Williams is definitely an asset to the team, but he lacks consistent effort and his blocking is atrocious. Slade Bolden disappears and Metchie has not elevated his game to be the goto guy. If Earle is Waddle like, then put him on the field. If Hall and Brooks have improved then put them in the game. If Baker and Holden are ready to show up, then give them more playing time. If Saban is unwilling to make changes along the offensive line (especially with Owens) and at WR, then I don't see our issues improving. Just my opinion.

Would I like to have Sark back calling plays ? Yes. Would I prefer to have Pruitt back calling defense? Yes. But in my opinion it goes beyond this I believe it's a personnel issue across the board we are not as talented as in years past. We don't have a J. Allen or Q. Williams on the D Line. We don't have a R. Foster or R. Ragland at LB. We don't have a Ha Ha Dix or M. Fitzpatrick in the secondary. And it's not just the Defense same can be said for the offense OMG where would we be without Jameson Williams he is currently the only dynamic receiver we have at this time. For me it's very plain to see.

The offense had a garbage night, but still scored 31 points, with the other being a blocked punt. We should be able to win any game when scoring 38 or even 31 points. The offense can seem to find a way even with their weaknesses, but the defense is where we are losing. If we deduct the blocked punt and the Kickoff touchdown we still lose, but no way should we still lose scoring that many points.

Back
Top Bottom