| FTBL Florida fires coach Dan Mullen

That's a rhetorical question, right?
I thought so too..........

In case it wasn't.

Stricklin was the AD at MSU to hire him, and is now the AD at UF that brought him there.

Found it interesting that Mullen wasn't hired to be the coach until after Stricklin got there. Makes me think that Mullen would not have worked will with Foley. I know when McElwain was hired that Mullen had experienced a fair amount of success at MSU. Everyone thought he would have went to Florida then, but wasn't until after Foley retired that he made the move.

I always heard that Foley was kind of tough on all the coaches in his athletic dept. One of the statements Spurrier told Foley he was leaving UF (2001) was that winning 10 games wasn't enough any more.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. Greg Byrne was the AD at MIssissippi State from 2008-2010. Mullen was hired in December of 2008. Stricklin was the Senior Associate AD at that time. Reporting was that Byrne actually decided on Mullen with Stricklin signing off on it.

After talking to a few today I'm about at the point of saying "Florida is Alabama in the late 80's." And by that, I mean who is calling the shots—in this case, calling the shots in the athletic department.

The pressure Strickland is dealing with the most comes from the pre-Meyer faction of Florida alumni. I won't say he folded, but he's feeling their angst; no doubt.

On another note I can't help but go back and think about Mullen being Strickland's third choice (at least.) I know he offered Scott Frost and before him Chip Kelly. How well would have those two worked at UF?

IF I were him, I'd be worried (more than he is) about my own job.

If you really look around, there are only 2-3 solid to great coaches. It's a crapshoot. Anyone else remember the Dubose and Mike Price fiascos along how we were so close to hiring RichRod. Freeze and Petrino were supposed great coaches but made so many poor off the field decisions. Michigan supposedly made a great hire but haven't won anything. Ole Miss and Texas have great offensive minds as head coaches but their head coaching resumes are not great to this point. Shoot, even Dabo has struggled this year. I absolutely dread when the time comes for Alabama to hire a new head coach. Hopefully, he can coach in good health for another 10-15 year's lol

this from secboard:

A poster on BOL is claiming Nick's been in touch with Mullen
quote:

At the end of the season. Marrone will be out, he was told during bye week. Golding has given Saban an ultimatum, let me run my defense, or give a different job, BOB will be interviewing for several HC jobs.

Now, here's the kicker that I'm not sure I believe, supposedly, Saban and Mullen are pretty tight and the offer has been made.

more on the golding comment
quote:

Let me rephrase my statement, it was a "if I can't call the defense the way I want at this point, please help me move on to a new job situation.

quote:

Believe what you want, info comes straight from inside the building

Fuck it I'll just come out and say it: Saban should hire ME as both offensive and defensive coordinator. Before you depressed baby boomers scoff at the idea, let the record show that I've spent years analyzing offensive and defensive strategy using a methodology known as "Hindsight Analytics". Using this theory of thought, I can accurately predict not necessarily what to do but what should have been done after the fact.

My resume is impeccable.
-Alabama should've ran the ball more in the 2014 Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma
-Alabama should've ran the ball more against Ohio State in the 2015 Sugar Bowl
-Alabama should've ran the ball more against Texas A&M in 2012
-Alabama should've ran the ball more against Florida in 2008
-Alabama should not have started Cooper Bateman against Ole Miss in 2015 (and ran the ball more)
-Andre Smith should not have been a dumbass before the 2009 Sugar Bowl, and Alabama should've ran the ball more against Utah in the game

You get the picture.

Many of us were despondent at the idea of having an undisciplined, showboating job hopper as an OC, but we warmed up to Lane. I trust Saban to have the best interests of the program in mind.
Fair enough. I was very concerned with the Kiffin hire but he had some outstanding games/years until the end of his last year at Bama and we know how that ended. Saban is the GOAT so when it is all said and done I know he will do what is best for the team.

What is Saban really known for after those 7 rings? Recruiting. I find it hard to believe Mullen would be considered as OC. Golding giving Saban a Ultimatum? Good luck with that. At this point, Saban can find what he wants, so either way I ain't worried. This season ain't over, I haven't gave up, and I doubt the team has. No matter how this goes down, please baby Jesus give us a DC.

What is Saban really known for after those 7 rings? Recruiting. I find it hard to believe Mullen would be considered as OC. Golding giving Saban a Ultimatum? Good luck with that. At this point, Saban can find what he wants, so either way I ain't worried. This season ain't over, I haven't gave up, and I doubt the team has. No matter how this goes down, please baby Jesus give us a DC.
Great points!!!!

Back
Top Bottom