| FTBL Florida fires coach Dan Mullen

Having it made at Cincy is something like frying a can of Spam to absolute perfection.
Maybe, but I'd take the >$3 million a year to just keep them hoping for relevancy as long as they paid me as opposed to going into the Florida meat grinder. Depends on how hard he wants to work in the end. Cincy pays less but is easier to meet expectations. Florida is a meat grinder if you aren't ready for it, and can be one even if you are.

Maybe, but I'd take the >$3 million a year to just keep them hoping for relevancy as long as they paid me as opposed to going into the Florida meat grinder. Depends on how hard he wants to work in the end. Cincy pays less but is easier to meet expectations. Florida is a meat grinder if you aren't ready for it, and can be one even if you are.
That's the difference between being content (not complacent) in your circumstances and striving for something different. I really thought Bill Clark would've moved on from UAB after his son finished there (he's coaching for him now), but perhaps he's just happy to make that $1.5 million a year. It's certainly enough, and he'll always have the in of being the guy who resurrected UAB football.

I think Mullen and Clark are NOT cut from the same cloth, just using him as an example of the opposite of Mullen.

UF would have to be difficult for Fickell to turn down, but the chatter in agent land has been that the only 3 jobs he'd likely leave Cincy for are Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Penn State. Supposedly, he's not a money chaser like some... it's about being happy and his family being happy.

UF would have to be difficult for Fickell to turn down, but the chatter in agent land has been that the only 3 jobs he'd likely leave Cincy for are Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Penn State. Supposedly, he's not a money chaser like some... it's about being happy and his family being happy.
Another part to that is making $3-4 million a year (or more if they decide to extend him again soon) at Cincy for however long they will keep him is probably better than jumping to Florida for $6-7 million a year and only lasting a few years due to their expectations. It's gonna take another Ole Ball Coach or Urban to last past year 4.

Smart move it had to be done he can not recruit.
Literally, he can not recruit (show cause would have ended within the next few weeks.)

It brings another question up here...what should Florida's recruiting classes look like (in terms of Internet rankings?) Interestingly enough, it's not a "top five ranked class" situation; hasn't been this century with the exception of a few times (25% or so.)

This doesn't apply to everyone but it certainly applies to a lot of the Bama fan base.

Alabama fans the last 10 years: "Clown shoes."
Alabama fans in the last 48 hours: "Next OC."

Anyone clear this up for me? IF only a little.

Another part to that is making $3-4 million a year (or more if they decide to extend him again soon) at Cincy for however long they will keep him is probably better than jumping to Florida for $6-7 million a year and only lasting a few years due to their expectations. It's gonna take another Ole Ball Coach or Urban to last past year 4.
Well, you know what was said of Florida pre Spurrier, ā€œthe arrogance of Alabama, with the record of Vanderbiltā€. Another Johnny come lately.

I think UF makes a play with Brian Kelly at nd. IMO, he has taken that team as far as he possibly can. At UF, he would not be under the same recruiting restrictions that he faces at nd. He also would have a lot of major D 1 prospects that could attend UF and play.

Mario Christobal would be someone I would contact as well. He is a former Miami player, grew up in south Florida and has several years of coaching experience in the Sunshine state.

Luck Fickell is the fan favorite of just about everyone with the way he has the UC Bearcats performing. What more can he do at UC without them becoming a Power 5 school? Not much IMO. If Kelly does go to UF, look for South Bend to be on the jet to the Cincinnati/Northern KY. airport in a flash.

So many D 1 jobs but really so few quality candidates to fill the openings. Someone will jump on the money though, that we can all agree on.

This doesn't apply to everyone but it certainly applies to a lot of the Bama fan base.

Alabama fans the last 10 years: "Clown shoes."
Alabama fans in the last 48 hours: "Next OC."

Anyone clear this up for me? IF only a little.

Bama fans think most other coaches are dumb. But when a guy could potentially be an OC, he becomes smart. After he takes the OC job he will become dumb again, and they will pine for a previous OC

Back
Top Bottom