| FOOD Fast food places you are happy they disappeared.

Shoneys.. They used to be great and ALL turned to shit..
Oh man. No kidding! There was one on University Blvd in H-ville I used to go to as a kid. GREAT cheeseburgers. Great breakfast bar. And then, it went to shit.

That reminds me of the $6.99 all you can eat salad bar at Quincy's. I would TEAR that up...three, four trips back and forth. And then I started seeing browning lettuce...and it went to shit.

No joke. That place is now a funeral home. Same refrig system.

I feel like Applebee's or TGI Fridays aren't as popular as they once were. It's kinda sad because when I was a kid in the early 2000s, those places would be hopping on a Friday night. Now? I went to an Applebee's on a Friday night in Biloxi about a year ago and it felt like going to a Village Inn.

I hated going to Applebee's as a kid, but it's kinda sad to see those casual diner chains fall into obscurity.

Oh man. No kidding! There was one on University Blvd in H-ville I used to go to as a kid. GREAT cheeseburgers. Great breakfast bar. And then, it went to shit.

That reminds me of the $6.99 all you can eat salad bar at Quincy's. I would TEAR that up...three, four trips back and forth. And then I started seeing browning lettuce...and it went to shit.

I was going to add Quincy’s to the list that used to be good, went to shit, then died out..

Was once upon a time pretty good chicken. the last time I ate churches my son and I were on our way to Boggs n boulders. Nothing else really to eat. Waited damn near 30 mins and got on the road and opened it and chicken was raw!!! 🤮🤮🤮🤮
One of the funniest things I've seen in life was when Bojangles ran out of chicken and the Chick-Fil-A just down the street had three lines, backed up. I can't remember what I was getting that day...took the truck to Lowe's and the traffic, at lunch, was backed up around the block.

Bojangles? Empty.

Happy to see Shoney's bite the dust. There is still a Long John Silvers in Pell City, the one up in Bham my wife used to hit with the two boys at the time, I think kids eat free on Tuesdays, always a travel day for me. Private equity has ruined Milo's, and it is in the process of ruining Whataburger. Pump and dump.

On a different note, I always enjoyed Ruby Tuesdays, despite the Vol origin. There is still one in Dallas, GA, we drop by occasionally. Ms. Winners was always good chicken, although I'm not sure I've ordered standard fried chicken from anyone but Publix in some time.

I'll admit, I liked Sbarro. Also enjoyed Blimpie Subs and Lenny's Subs. I don't think any of them are extinct officially, but they may as well be.

If places like Burger King and Checkers all disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't care. Long John Silver's and Captain D's... can't remember the last time I ate at either. They were not good in the 80'-90's, I can't imagine what they are like now.

For a sit down restaurant, I don't get the appeal of Buffalo Wild Wings. You're paying high prices for what's basically elementary school cafeteria level food... and most any place that has a BWW, has at least one other restaurant nearby with as many TV's and as good of a beer selection if that's why you're there. I think Chuy's is still hanging on, but I'm not sure how. I do miss places like Quincey's and Western Sizzlin, but in today's world, both places would be terrible, so it's best that they're in the past and cab be remembered fondly. Also, had a job many years ago working overnights, and several of us would order Steak-Out once a week on our final shifts... there's still a few that remain, including the one we'd order from (I'd always get the sirloin tips), but I figure they'll all be gone soon...

I'll admit, I liked Sbarro. Also enjoyed Blimpie Subs and Lenny's Subs. I don't think any of them are extinct officially, but they may as well be.

If places like Burger King and Checkers all disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't care. Long John Silver's and Captain D's... can't remember the last time I ate at either. They were not good in the 80'-90's, I can't imagine what they are like now.

For a sit down restaurant, I don't get the appeal of Buffalo Wild Wings. You're paying high prices for what's basically elementary school cafeteria level food... and most any place that has a BWW, has at least one other restaurant nearby with as many TV's and as good of a beer selection if that's why you're there. I think Chuy's is still hanging on, but I'm not sure how. I do miss places like Quincey's and Western Sizzlin, but in today's world, both places would be terrible, so it's best that they're in the past and cab be remembered fondly. Also,m has a job many years ago working overnight, and several of us would order Steak-Out once a week on our final shifts... there's still a few that remain, including the one we'd order from (I'd always get the sirloin tips), but I figure they'll all be gone soon...
Burger King's are dropping right and left for sure. I'm on the other side of the fence for BWW, the one in Pell City is consistent and I get an $11 double patty smash/cheeseburger at lunch with a drink, pretty good. That franchise group has the one in Chelsea and some Arby's/something else I forget, I think they stay on top of things, which is a necessity for survival in that space.

Getting an Outback in Pell City in a few months, excited about another option.

Long John Silvers one in Anniston, Al. Last time me and the wife were they we didn't like it. My wife use to love to eat there.
@It Takes Eleven Clanton still has one.

April and I along with her sister and husband would almost be at the Golden Corral in Lagrange, Ga weekly. It is now a funeral home too.

Shoneys another one the wife lovingly to go eat at. The last one closest to us was Oxford, Al, it was close about 4-5 years ago. The building has been torn down.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chucky Cheese yet. I know some of you older folks probably wanted to bang your head against a wall after finding out you had to take your kids to one of those.
Been a few time, but most of the time was the old one I think with a Bear? I can't think of the name. That was in Macon, Ga.

Back
Top Bottom