| NEWS ESPN Plans to Stream Flagship Channel, Eyeing Cable TV’s Demise

For those of us who only have live TV for the sports, this could finally end our addiction. How much would you pay per month for the ESPN networks alone?

I have Hulu Live - it includes the ESPN package with plus when you bundle (also has Disney Plus). We couldn’t be happier with price and ease of turning it off and on when we don’t need live tv. It’s a happy medium between cable and a la carte purchasing of each network.

ESPN is losing customers by keeping their big items tied to cable and cable replacements. The big question becomes how much they need people to pay vs how much will people pay. Estimates are that they would have around 10-20 million monthly direct subscribers. In order to make what they currently make from cable, they would need to charge somewhere around $37.50 to $75 per subscriber. I don't believe many of us are going to pay much more than $20-25 for ESPN and the related channels directly since we start getting into overall cable replacement prices then.

I do not believe any major changes are coming before Disney deals with the Hulu purchase though. Right now the two parties have publicly said the Disney wants to buy out Comcast and Comcast wants to sell, so there shouldn't be much more than price negotiations left.

Thinking I need to try this.
I have had all of them at some point. Look at the channels on them and which are important to you before you decide. Hulu+Live is really the second worst of the big ones (YouTubeTV, Hulu+Live, DirectTV Stream, Sling, Fubo) as far as interface (Sling is horrible) but it is serviceable. Quality is about the same as YouTube TV, which is better than Fubo and worse than DirectTV Stream. If you only need 2 TV active at a time they are fine. If you need 3 or more then you will have to pay another $10 and that can change the value proposition.

We enjoyed Hulu Live for years. Started at $30 when we first signed up. Seems like it was getting in the $70’s or higher when we quit earlier this year. We switched to YouTube live to see how we like it. So far, feels pretty similar. Different interface to learn. Still have Prime and Netflix.

Honestly if we could avoid cable entirely and put things into the internet and make them on demand I’d be up for it. Though I am scarce to believe things will go smoothly. They have streaming issues with normal games let alone national championship games

We enjoyed Hulu Live for years. Started at $30 when we first signed up. Seems like it was getting in the $70’s or higher when we quit earlier this year. We switched to YouTube live to see how we like it. So far, feels pretty similar.
The big 3 (Hulu, YTTV, DTV Stream) are all very similar except channels and price. YTTV is not near as strict yet with use outside the home as Hulu, but they are getting there.

Those that remember Cband ( big dishes) whenthey scrambled all the channels.
They did have a "a la carte" programming .....

Buy what you want. Just what channels you wanted

Loved it...ms50+...ah...not so much...

But my directv has 150 channels....or something....and we watch dozen...dozen n half...
Hate we have to pay for crap ( to us)...

The big 3 (Hulu, YTTV, DTV Stream) are all very similar except channels and price. YTTV is not near as strict yet with use outside the home as Hulu, but they are getting there.
YTTV has an adder for up to10 devices streaming with 3 remote for an extre $4.99.

I dropped CableTV 2 or 3 years ago and have been using YTTV. Never have had issues watching Bama games. Have WIFI streaming to the AP throught the router and cable modem. Works great.

YTTV has an adder for up to10 devices streaming with 3 remote for an extre $4.99.
Price depends on if you get offered it or not. The regular price is $9.99. It also includes 4K.
Whatever all that means....
You can buy an add-on for YouTube TV that gives unlimited streams at home (you usually only get 3 TV at a time at home). It also includes 4K content (which there is not a lot). Depending on which offer you got from them it can be $4.99 or $9.99 but eventually everyone will pay $9.99. I think most got the $4.99 for 12 months. It used to be $20. Unless you need 4+ streams often it is not worth the price as the 4K content is very lacking. And any that is on Fox is available through the Fox app in 4K usually with a YTTV login.

The 3 streaming outside of home is standard in all subscriptions.

Price depends on if you get offered it or not. The regular price is $9.99. It also includes 4K.

You can buy an add-on for YouTube TV that gives unlimited streams at home (you usually only get 3 TV at a time at home). It also includes 4K content (which there is not a lot). Depending on which offer you got from them it can be $4.99 or $9.99 but eventually everyone will pay $9.99. I think most got the $4.99 for 12 months. It used to be $20. Unless you need 4+ streams often it is not worth the price as the 4K content is very lacking. And any that is on Fox is available through the Fox app in 4K usually with a YTTV login.

The 3 streaming outside of home is standard in all subscriptions.
Thanks

In practical terms it means my son can use YTTV from his appartment legally and he just has to pay the $4.99.
If he does not live in your same house that is a violation of their terms of service and may not work very long soon. They are already testing requiring all devices to connect to the one home WiFi WiFi every 30 days for all users. And certain devices will not be able to be used outside the home at all. This is similar to what Hulu+Live already does.

Back
Top Bottom