| FTBL Eli Ricks has declared for the 2023 NFL Draft.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Alabama cornerback Eli Ricks to announce NFL decision on Tuesday

https://twitter.com/ChandlerVessels
alabama-transfer-cornerback-eli-ricks-to-announce-nfl-decision-on-tuesday
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
Alabama cornerback Eli Ricks will make his NFL Draft decision on Tuesday, he revealed Monday evening via social media. The announcement will take place at 1 p.m. CT.
A transfer from LSU, Ricks had a solid year with the Crimson Tide in 2022. He appeared in eight games with four starts to finish with 13 total tackles and four passes defended.
With that being the case, it would seem that Ricks could benefit from an extra season of college ball to improve his draft stock. His potential is evident, as he was a five-star recruit coming out of high school in 2020. There he ranked as the No. 18 overall prospect and No. 2 cornerback in the class according to On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

Nick Saban praises growth of Eli Ricks​

Amid a loaded secondary, learning a new system, and injuries, Alabama CB Eli Ricks hasn’t seen the field as much as some anticipated. The transfer out of LSU was expected to be one of the Crimson Tide’s best defensive backs. Before their last appearance, though, he hadn’t seen significant time this season. That changed in their 30-6 win over Mississippi State before their bye week.
Nick Saban spoke about Ricks’ development within the program during the SEC Teleconference earlier this week. He said Ricks had to pick up some things as he learned Alabama’s system and left LSU’s behind. Now it’s about building off that growth and his most recent appearance to have a great end to the season.
“Eli just had to go through a lot of transitions here in terms of what he’d learned before, trying to learn our system, and getting confident in it. We always thought he could be a really good player,” said Saban. “I thought he played well in the last game. Hopefully he’ll be able to build on that and stay focused on the things he needs to do well to execute at his position.”
Ricks had only had a handful of chances to play his position during the course of Alabama’s season so far. He’d even rotated in on special teams as well just to see the field. Against the Bulldogs, though, he saw his first real-time at corner of the SEC season. Ricks made the most of it too. He finished with two tackles and four pass deflections against the pass-heavy Mississippi State offense.

As one of the nation’s top corner prospects coming into college, Ricks has just needed the time to figure it out and put things together. After two seasons at LSU, the transfer set him back again. However, this performance seems like a positive step towards Ricks becoming more of a staple on Saban’s defense. His next chance to impress will come against his former team as Alabama heads to Baton Rouge this weekend to face the Tigers.

He needs another year in my eyes as I saw some regression simply due to lack of playing time. But I understand the NFL knows his ability and trajectory and his goal of playing in the NFL. He came on late as stated, and I know he can get high first round grade with one more year due to his talent.

I will say the NFL is so less forgiving anymore due to investment and they want results now, not in three years. He better hope he comesout hot and performs. Him staying, I do wonder if it throws a wrench in the secondary with the talent we have recruited. Desmond Ricks is a carbon copy of Elias Ricks. If we get Cormani, it'll be even more interesting with Kool-Aid assured side.

Alabama cornerback Eli Ricks declares for 2023 NFL Draft

Alabama junior cornerback Eli Ricks is turning pro.

On Tuesday afternoon, the defensive back announced via social media he plans to forgo his senior year and enter the 2023 NFL Draft. He becomes the fifth Crimson Tide junior to enter the draft one year early, joining Will Anderson, Brian Branch, Jahmyr Gibbs and Bryce Young.

“First and foremost, I would like to thank and honor my heavenly father for giving me the talent to get where I am today and allowing me to be in the position to make one of the biggest decisions of my life,” Ricks said in an Instagram post.

“After reflecting on my journey, I want to thank coaches Ed Orgeron, Corey Raymond, and the entire LSU football staff that recruited me and helped develop me while I was at LSU. I appreciate the opportunity to further my education and to play on a stage that allowed me to display my God given talents. The relationships that I made with the staff and my teammates will last a lifetime. My journey started at LSU and everything that I learned there will forever be with me.

“Continuing, I want to thank coaches Nick Saban, T Rob, Pete Golding and the entire Alabama staff that accepted me in as one of their own. While here at Alabama, the staff has supported, pushed, and developed me into the mature young man that I am today. I have learned just as many lessons off the field as on. The Alabama program exceeded my expectations and tested every limit that I set for myself.

“Finally, to all of my family, friends, pastor, and all the fans that have stood by and supported me along the way, I thank you with all my heart. I can never repay you for what you have meant to me, but my goal is to make you proud.

“With that being said, I am excited to continue my journey and have decided to declare for the 2023 NFL Draft.”

Be rest assured. Eli is leaving because the NFL people believe he should....Nothing more.Nothing less. Now for the next 31/2 months he will determine when he is drafted and how much cash he will make in his rookie contract.

Back
Top Bottom