| FTBL Did he catch the ball?

It was what happened before that photo that made it a catch....he had the ball and pulled it to the chest. Once he pulled it to his chest, I considered it a catch. WHen he came down, the nose went to the ground as pictured. My feelings are that they are using the review to "find a way" to take plays away - not just reverse questionable calls. In real time....what the ref saw, was a catch. I just don't feel it was conclusive enough to take it away but they did. If you frame by frame and slow motion every play, you could probably find a penalty or a way to reverse a call on over half. I guess you take the bad with the good on having the ability to review.

Kanjweld said:
It was what happened before that photo that made it a catch....he had the ball and pulled it to the chest. Once he pulled it to his chest, I considered it a catch. WHen he came down, the nose went to the ground as pictured. My feelings are that they are using the review to "find a way" to take plays away - not just reverse questionable calls. In real time....what the ref saw, was a catch. I just don't feel it was conclusive enough to take it away but they did. If you frame by frame and slow motion every play, you could probably find a penalty or a way to reverse a call on over half. I guess you take the bad with the good on having the ability to review.

You raise several good points. Good post. I agree that they seem to be wanting to take plays away.

Argo said:
1104bama-lede.jpg

Nose of the ball is on the ground WITHOUT his hands under it.

Watching it live and during the review I thought it was a catch. Now that I see this picture I think it was the right call.

A completed pass followed by falling on the ball without your hands under the ball doesn't an incompletion make. If the reciever has control, it's a reception. How he falls on the ball is irrelevant.

BTW, I'm not that upset about the call. We were in position to put the game away and didn't make it happen. The game was there for the taking for both teams and LSU found ways to take it. We couldn't run on them all night. We got a couple of explosive pass plays, but, by and large LSU stopped our passing attack too. We've got great players, but LSU had bigger, stronger, faster ones for the most part.

Our players played thier hearts out and so did LSU's. They were less disciplined than BAMA but won it in the end. BUT, the recruits are coming and the days of being outmanned on the field are numbered.

Things are changing at the Capstone and we'll soon be back where we belong... in the other teams nightmares.

Cheers,
SR

Argo said:
1104bama-lede.jpg

Watching it live and during the review I thought it was a catch. Now that I see this picture I think it was the right call.

OK, before I give in, Can someone interpret the rule about when it's permissable for part of the ball to touch the ground? A quarter second before that snap shot, Caddel had the ball in his hands and his elbows hit the ground. Is it still an incomplete pass?

srollins said:
Argo said:
1104bama-lede.jpg

A completed pass followed by falling on the ball without your hands under the ball doesn't an incompletion make. If the reciever has control, it's a reception. How he falls on the ball is irrelevant.

BTW, I'm not that upset about the call. We were in position to put the game away and didn't make it happen. The game was there for the taking for both teams and LSU found ways to take it. We couldn't run on them all night. We got a couple of explosive pass plays, but, by and large LSU stopped our passing attack too. We've got great players, but LSU had bigger, stronger, faster ones for the most part.

Our players played thier hearts out and so did LSU's. They were less disciplined than BAMA but won it in the end. BUT, the recruits are coming and the days of being outmanned on the field are numbered.

Things are changing at the Capstone and we'll soon be back where we belong... in the other teams nightmares.

Cheers,
SR

Agree!

Back
Top Bottom