| FTBL Destin Hood drafted by Washington...

• Thread starter imported_Porter
  • Start date
I would go the baseball route even at 400k. Why would you turn down that kind of money? Most people go to college to better their selves in life and 400k does that rather quickly.

Pulled from another forum from a guy that's solid.

*******here is the deal. Destin can ask for anything he wants, because he, like every other draftee (except college SRs) has leverage to go to school. In Destin's case, he also has football as leverage, which is important for this reason. As a recruited athlete, the MLB team that drafted him, the Nationals, can spread his bonus payment out over 5 years, which usually means a higher bonus will be allowed/done by MLB. The Nationals can pay him more because MLB rules allow them to account for the bonus over that time period, making it easier to budget a larger bonus, while not incurring too much wraft from the MLB office for exceeding so called slotting "requirements" which are not requirements but recommendations.

Having represented baseball players in this draft, i can tell you this. Hood would not have been drafted this high at all if he had indicated in any way that he was going to Alabama to play football. You dont pick a gy this high as a team unless you have done your due diligence (talked extensively to the player) and determined that he will sign. Negotiations may take all summer and the team now has a deadline that they have to meet, or lose the right to the player.

Expect Destin to announce that once the nationals fail to meet his demands, that he will go to Alabama..then announce late in the summer, that he will play baseball...its all negotiating, and it may take awhile depending on what the Nationals want to do and how aggressive they will be.

Once he enrolls at Alabama, the Nationals lose all rights to him, so dont expect him to show up for sumemr workouts and then go play baseball. he will sign and have a clause that the Nationals will pay for him to go to college if and when he decides to go for any reason. So, if he does not make it in baseball, the Nationals will pay for him to go to Bama..and he would not count on our scholarship totals if he ever did that.

hope this helps..

Bones82 said:
I would go the baseball route even at 400k. Why would you turn down that kind of money? Most people go to college to better their selves in life and 400k does that rather quickly.

400K is hard to turn down, but I would have thought it would be more. The 55th drafted player last year received a little more than 500K. Wiht sports slaries normally going up slightly each year I would have expected more.

porkchop said:
Bones82 said:

400K is hard to turn down, but I would have thought it would be more. The 55th drafted player last year received a little more than 500K. Wiht sports slaries normally going up slightly each year I would have expected more.

Tommy Hunter went at 54, 585K. 55th pulled 581. I suspect the 400K is an estimate at this stage.

TigerBait3 said:
He was called yesterday and the talks were to begin in the low to mid 600 range.

Curious, if you had to add one of these players to the top 10 list for the State of Alabama, which one would it be? And why, if you don't mind.

Terrance Coleman
Brandon Moore
Anthony Orr
Gerald West

TerryP said:
TigerBait3 said:
He was called yesterday and the talks were to begin in the low to mid 600 range.

Curious, if you had to add one of these players to the top 10 list for the State of Alabama, which one would it be? And why, if you don't mind.

Terrance Coleman
Brandon Moore
Anthony Orr
Gerald West
I dont really know much about Moore and Orr other than what is on the internet, but they look like good prospects.

I am assuming they will probably be ranked near each other but West is legit in my mind. He is basically a way more athletic Robby Green to me.

As for potential Coleman is a lot better than people think.

Obviously just my amateur opinion.

Thanks. I know you follow the recruiting stories and players around the state...Porter, Argo and I are working on an Alabama top 10. We were fine 'til we reached #10.

TerryP said:
Thanks. I know you follow the recruiting stories and players around the state...Porter, Argo and I are working on an Alabama top 10. We were fine 'til we reached #10.
I gotcha, that will be interesting to see. Got a time line for release?

There is one player in the state that I know Bama fans use to poke Auburn fans because of stars and all, but Jonothan Evans was a steal. Pretty obvious Tubs has a good source in Prichard.

TigerBait3 said:
TerryP said:
I gotcha, that will be interesting to see. Got a time line for release?

There is one player in the state that I know Bama fans use to poke Auburn fans because of stars and all, but Jonothan Evans was a steal. Pretty obvious Tubs has a good source in Prichard.

It'll be up soon on the blog..there will be a link here for it.

Evans caught my eye as well. In fact, a few did that I'll be watching to see where they end up. Mujahid Assad is one, Lawrence Abrams, Orwin Smith, Mardrecus Hood just to name a few.

We tend to have this bug on recruiting pretty bad. Before the '08 class was on campus we were talking about the'09 rankings. Heck, I've already got a few kids for the '10 class that I see as being special. I can see 6 being top 100, at least 150 already. You probably know Jarrick Williams out of Vigor.

Back
Top Bottom