| FTBL Defense

Dalton Tider

Verified Member
How in the world did our defense wind up so shallow in depth to the point that they are having to move Offensive personnel to the defense? Is is it the trickle down effect of lost scholarships? Is it just because we don't have the right athletes to run Coach Sabans defense?

reger60 said:
I've resorted to being lazy and blaming everything bad on Shula for the next year or two.
Its not a bad card to play, IMO! The more we see unfold with Saban in charge, the more I am not surprised that some of the players didn't perform to their potential with Shula leading the deer in the headlights.

Not just Motley. I thinking in terms of how shallow we are when defensive linemen like Motley goes down. I think his back up is Lorenzo Washington who has limited experience and then who is his back up. Are we like this at several positions on the defensive front?

I don't think that it has been a secret that we have not signed many front 7 defensive guys in the last three or four years.

LB is ridiculously thin IMO. Coach Kines coached Demeco. He also coached a little bit of Cornelius Bennett and Derrick Thomas. How that resume couldn't land LB's is beyond me.

People who have been typing, "We need linebackers," over the past couple of years have gotten a few jabs, but they are absolutely right.

Porterhouse said:
It didn't help that Byron Walton had to give up football over the summer as well. He would certainly help the depth right now.

?

He's still on the roster, and I never saw anything about that? When did that happen?

Joe Kines ran a great defense, at least the national rankings say so. This is why I'm scratching my head at the talk about how dire things are. Further puzzling me is the recent class where we signed something like 8 or 9 DBs (presumably because were were about to switch to rare but deadly 1-3 Defense).

I'm reaching here, but I guessing that the reason is a combination of poor DL recruiting and poor DL coaching. Poor recruiting in that for various reason (kids just were not good enough, grades fell through...)the numbers signed have not positioned us with what we need. Enter Motley. Poor coaching because because first we face having our best NG prospect be the third string Center, and second because a 4 star DL signee is a drop off in backing up the third string Center at NG.

Porterhouse said:
Outlaw said:
Porterhouse said:
It didn't help that Byron Walton had to give up football over the summer as well. He would certainly help the depth right now.

?

He's still on the roster, and I never saw anything about that? When did that happen?

Must be an old roster. Here is the story...

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/070804/walton.shtml

Wow, I guess I can chalk the ignorance up to being in Kansas for the whole summer. :lol:

D-Fence1.jpg

We're not that bad off on def. as it would appear.Yeah, we're a little thin at NT but I think our LB's are gonna work out just fine.Schreiber,Waldrop,and Stamps are solid back-ups and got a fair share of snaps during the Kines era.The secondary should be really good.Rashad Johnson will turn some heads this year and Marcus Carter has a ton of Exp.I really don't have a clue how good some of our true freshman DL are gonna be but you never know.Gillberry is one of the best DE we've ever had.Some people act like we're going to have the worst def. in the league and thats just not true. I'm just not ready to hit the panic button just yet!Oh yeah, I forgot to mention our all-american cornerback. We'll be OK a$#

I have to say I am one of those that are concerned about the D this year. Sure, we've got a defensive mastermind as the HC, but we ain't got all the talent needed to run it up front. The nose gaurd is the heart of a 3-4 defense. And it takes more than 1 deep at that position. If the nose gaurd is doing his job, it will take a minimum of 2 people to block him. This tires him out very quickly, thus needs to be rotated pretty frequently. This is where you need to be a solid 2, maybe even 3 deep at NG. We were 2 deep, with a 3rd possible. Now we are 1 deep with a 2nd possible.

Hopefully it will work out, but I'm still nervous about it. Oh yeah, and MLB is almost as shallow as NG.

Bamapossum said:
LB is ridiculously thin IMO. Coach Kines coached Demeco. He also coached a little bit of Cornelius Bennett and Derrick Thomas. How that resume couldn't land LB's is beyond me.

People who have been typing, "We need linebackers," over the past couple of years have gotten a few jabs, but they are absolutely right.

i couldn't have said it better myself. :lol:

let's face it, as much as we love and respect Kines, he doesn't make the best first impressions.

yes, we were spurned by innumerable bluechips on the defensive side of the ball while under Shula/Kines.

Back
Top Bottom