| FTBL Cut to Duke? I'd be shocked...

TerryP

Staff
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A Knoxville newspaper reports that Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe has been offered the head coaching job at Duke.

The Knoxville News Sentinel quotes sources in the Tennessee football program as saying he is expected to accept the post.
ADVERTISEMENT

Cutcliffe and Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer did not return numerous calls from the News Sentinel seeking comment. Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton declined comment, citing a professional policy not to address coaching searches.

Linky thing

Coach Cut wouldn't be the first Bama guy to coach at Ole Miss and then go to Duke. Does the name 'Steve Sloan' strike a familiar note? Sloan went directly from Oxford to Durham. Cut will have had a stop in Knoxville between the two.

CrimsonPirate said:
Coach Cut wouldn't be the first Bama guy to coach at Ole Miss and then go to Duke. Does the name 'Steve Sloan' strike a familiar note? Sloan went directly from Oxford to Durham. Cut will have had a stop in Knoxville between the two.

Don't forget that their stadium is named after Coach Wallace Wade. Left Bama and went there if my memory serves me correct.

I don't think it will happen. Fat Phil knows that without Cutcliffe, they are a 6-7 win football team at best. Gonna be breaking in a new QB next year who has no experience. Tennessee is on a deep slide and if Cut takes off, which I would put the odds at 4:1, then they will hit the skids fast.

Yep, ESPN College Football Live was reporting yesterday that DC had emerged as a top candidate. My son told me last night that talk of Cutcliff coming to Duke had been swirling around campus for a few days now.

I wasn't expecting this (if it is, indeed, true), but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to college coaching hires and fires.

bear facts said:
Yep, ESPN College Football Live was reporting yesterday that DC had emerged as a top candidate. My son told me last night that talk of Cutcliff coming to Duke had been swirling around campus for a few days now.

I wasn't expecting this, if it is, indeed, true, but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to college coaching hires and fires.

I figured Cutcliff would be back as a head coach. I wish him well. Anything that stands to weaken Tennessee is just fine by me.

CrimsonPirate said:

Pirate, nice little similarity you caught there. I had forgotten about SS going to Duke after leaving Ole Miss.

RollTideRandy said:
ESPN is now reporting that Cut has accepted the job and will be announced as the new Duke coach on Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3155086

Randy, ESPN must have changed their article because I was sure that it originally stated a PC was scheduled for Monday.

My son called me this evening and said the PC would be held tomorrow. I double-checked the link and the day had, indeed, been changed. I guess DC couldn't wait to meet Thaddeus Lewis.

BamaDelta said:
Winning at Duke might be near impossible.

BD, this is the perception that the university wants to change, and I believe are committed to do so. Right now seems as a good time as any to start, especially since traditional ACC powers like Miami and Florida State are down.

Actually, Duke showed some potential at times offensively this past season, but it was sparingly. They put 43 points on Navy but surrendered 46, scored another 36 against Wake Forest but allowed 41, added 24 points against GT but gave up 41 points. Biggest problem with Duke's team right now is a very porous defense--averaging 33.2 points a game. You ain't gonna beat many teams when you are allowing points like that.

Duke had three freshmen who made All-ACC this past season. And Cutcliff already has a QB to work with. Take a look at QB Thaddeus Lewis' numbers, and he will be back next season. It's not like Cut is going to find the cupboard bare.

If Wake Forest can find a way to field a winning football team, then there is no reason why Duke can't either.

Spurrier's years at Duke have been mentioned. But, there is history at that school as well. I want to say it was '36 and then '41 they made their Rose Bowl appearances. In fact, I think they've been to the Rose Bowl more than any other ACC team.

TerryP said:
Spurrier's years at Duke have been mentioned. But, there is history at that school as well. I want to say it was '36 and then '41 they made their Rose Bowl appearances. In fact, I think they've been to the Rose Bowl more than any other ACC team.

Terry, I don't know much about Duke's football program's history, but I do know Coach Wallace Wade definitely had a positive effect on it after he left Bama:

Wade continued to succeed at Duke, most notably in 1938, when his "Iron Dukes" went unscored upon until reaching the national championship game, where they lost 7-3 to the University of Southern California in Duke's first Rose Bowl appearance. Wade's Blue Devils lost another Rose Bowl to Oregon State in 1942, this one held at Duke's home stadium in Durham, North Carolina. The change in scenery was a result of the Pearl Harbor attacks, which made the event organizers skittish of hosting a game in California. Wade entered military service after the Rose Bowl loss, and the legendary Eddie Cameron filled in for him as head football coach from 1942 to 1945. Wade returned to coach the Blue Devils in 1946, and continued until his retirement in 1950.

In 16 seasons, Wade's Duke teams compiled a record of 110 wins, 36 losses, and 7 ties.

bear facts said:
CrimsonPirate said:

Pirate, nice little similarity you caught there. I had forgotten about SS going to Duke after leaving Ole Miss.

Totaly off the subject but, Steve Sloan came very close to being the coach at Alabama. Coach Bryant had already contacted him in or around 1979 about taking over as the HC at Alabama, then one of Coach Bryants friends told him how close he was to Alonzo Stagg's record, and he decide not to retire.

Back
Top Bottom