| NEWS Aaron Murray on Vols' Jeremy Pruitt: 'I don’t think he’s the right guy' to be a head coach

G

Google News

ATLANTA — Aaron Murray isn't a believer in Jeremy Pruitt.

Murray, the former Georgia quarterback who is now an analyst with the CBS Sports Network, offered a blistering critique of Tennessee's first-year coachduring an interview Tuesday on 102.5 The Game.

"I don’t know if his personality is fit to be a head coach. I don’t," Murray told the radio station. "As a head coach, there’s so many things that go into it. It’s not just going out there and coaching. You have to deal with front office. You’ve got to go talk with the president of the university. You have to deal with boosters. You have to deal with the offense, the defense. It’s not just going in there and dealing with the kids and scheming up. There’s a lot that goes into it.

Murray, the SEC's all-time career passing leader, played for Georgia from 2009-13. He had a 4-0 record against the Vols.

Pruitt was the Bulldogs' defensive coordinator in 2014-15. After Mark Richt was fired, Kirby Smart didn't retain Pruitt, and Pruitt was hired as Alabama's defensive coordinator.

“When he was at Georgia, the way he acted, the way he treated Coach Richt I thought was poor," Murray told 102.5 The Game. "He wasn’t as respectful as I thought a defensive coordinator should be to a head coach. That’s my thing, with authority.

"When he’s dealing with the athletic director, when he’s dealing with the president, when he’s dealing with a booster who has given millions of dollars, you can’t go tell him to screw off. You have to take the meeting. You have to sit with them. Yeah, I know you want to be game planning and getting ready for the game, but you’re a head coach now. You have to do these other things.”

Murray also didn't offer a favorable outlook for the Vols' 2018 season and said the roster Pruitt inherited will be a hurdle for him to overcome.

“Talent-wise, they’re far behind right now," Murray said. "Talent-wise, it’s not even close with them, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia. It’s just not there. He has a huge mountain to climb just to get them competitive in this league."

Murray's comments come in advance of Pruitt's first appearance at SEC Media Days. Tennessee takes its turn during the four-day media event on Wednesday.

Didn't take long for the Pruitt/Richt relationship to show up again. Pruitt comes off as a fiery guy, but who knows if he has the social skills to make a lot of friends in his new job? In his favor, I never heard a discouraging word about Pruitt's last 2 seasons as DC at Bama. Was Aaron Murray even on campus during the Pruitt era? I don't think so.

Murray is entitled to his opinion, I just do not agree with it. Sure it is going to be a struggle at UT, that is why they had to hire a coach. The Vols are not in the same shape talent wise as the three SEC east teams mentioned in the article. Rome was not built in a day so the fans of UT are going to have to be patient with Pruitt. If he gets 6 wins this year, I'll be suprised. What needs to be looked at is the body of work; did the team inprove during the year? What kind of talent comes with his first recruiting class? Is there improvement in the second year and with recruiting? Those answers do not come quickly.

Heck, Pruitt was not even the first or second choice of UT. If my history is correct, he came into Knoxville after several people turned the Vols down. Give the man time and let the chips fall where they may. No person knows what kind of job Pruitt is going to do...yet. Like I said, I do not agree with Murray's opinion but that is ok, he is not going to agree with mine either.

“When he was at Georgia, the way he acted, the way he treated Coach Richt I thought was poor," Murray told 102.5 The Game. "He wasn’t as respectful as I thought a defensive coordinator should be to a head coach. That’s my thing, with authority.

"When he’s dealing with the athletic director, when he’s dealing with the president, when he’s dealing with a booster who has given millions of dollars, you can’t go tell him to screw off. You have to take the meeting. You have to sit with them. Yeah, I know you want to be game planning and getting ready for the game, but you’re a head coach now. You have to do these other things.”

did he ever think that maybe he didn't respect mark richt and that's why he acted that way towards him. playing for a coach and working for a coach are 2 different things. the only person who knows why he acted that way towards mark richt is jeremy pruitt.

the only person who knows why he acted that way towards mark richt is jeremy pruitt.
Not really. I don't know if you recall but I made mention a few times of the clash that was going on with Pruitt and Richt when he was there. Pruitt may have come across the wrong way. The chances are VERY high that he did. BUT, it was needed.

His complaints were directed at the program and how it was being ran. He wanted a much more disciplined structure. He pushed for better facilities. Lo and behold, they were the same changes that Kirby has brought to Athens.

I read the comments from Murray and it tells me one thing; Richt didn't have control. Seriously, is that a shock? To anyone?

Here's the thing. Those that say he doesn't come across as the likeable guy aren't off. He has that personality. I've watched it develop since Saban took him out of Mobile because he was "soft" on the recruiting trail.

That said, Murray is off his rocker if he thinks Kirby is a better coach that Pruitt. Let me be clear. I'm not saying that because Kirby is at Georgia or because of the crap he's pulled in recruiting. It just is what it is.

JP is a better evaluator. I've never had a doubt about that and I don't today. I think most Bama fans can see the differences between the two defenses when Kirby's and Jeremy's are compared. I know the players respond better to Pruitt. I know he's better on the sidelines when it comes to adjustments. His decisions were quicker and better.

However, we simply don't know how good of a head coach Pruitt is or will be. While I've got my issues with both I'd much rather have Pruitt as DC than Kirby.

All that being said...

On the one hand he was asked a question and I suppose he gave his honest opinion. On the other hand from a "network" standpoint CFB is very intertwined and it is IMO best not to burn bridges that you could possibly need later. I think Pruitt's response showed a bit more maturity than Murray's rather vague criticism

There has certainly been noise about Pruitt, after a couple of stiff ones, going to Richt's house to rearrange the furniture. Someday, someone will write a book about the life and times of Jeremy Pruitt. Until then, stay tuned.

Fair points by Murray. He's entitled to that opinion if that's what he saw...

On the other hand I'm sure Pruitt has grown since then. Valuable experience back at UA will help.

He can't be any worse than the last 2... I'm guessing they will be better with JP at the help... How he handles the spotlight will be interesting to watch.

Pruitt responds...

UT Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt fires back at Aaron Murray criticism

636675087649089113-AP18199529917902.jpg

(Photo: Associated Press)
CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

ATLANTA — Jeremy Pruitt doesn't think he'd be where he is today – the head coach of an SEC program – if he didn't know how to treat people.
In that way, he thinks Aaron Murray is wrong.

Murray, the former Georgia quarterback who is now an analyst for CBS Sports Network, criticized the first-year Tennessee coach and questioned whether he was fit to be a head coach during an interview Tuesday on Nashville radio station 102.5-FM.

Murray said Pruitt treated a former boss, Georgia coach Mark Richt, poorly, isn't CEO material and questioned whether Pruitt has the demeanor to interact with university brass and program donors.

"I look at it like this: Fifteen years ago, I was a kindergarten teacher, and today I’m the head coach at Tennessee," Pruitt said when asked whether Murray's criticism was fair. "So you probably don’t make that ascension unless you know how to treat people.”

Pruitt and Murray have the Richt connection, though their time at Georgia didn't overlap.

Murray, the SEC's all-time career passing leader, played for Georgia from 2009-13. He had a 4-0 record as a starting quarterback against the Vols.
Pruitt was the Bulldogs' defensive coordinator in 2014-15.

Pruitt said he doesn't know Murray but has "a lot of respect for what kind of player he was."

Pruitt's capabilities as a defensive coordinator are unquestioned. He stewarded Florida State to the No. 1 scoring defense in the nation in 2013, and the Seminoles won the national title. He spent the past two seasons at Alabama, and the Crimson Tide led the nation in scoring defense each year. His defenses ranked in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense in his two seasons at Georgia.

Along the way, Pruitt believes he's shown what type of coach he is.

“I would like to think that I’m a players’ coach," Pruitt said. "The reason I’m in this game is because I want to have a positive impact on young people. Our guys, I think, know that. I think everywhere I’ve ever been, it’s all about your players. Your players are your best recruiters, and if you help them get what they want, that’s kind of why you’re in the business.”

Sell on that story.

Also, it's out there, particularly on the Georgia side, that Pruitt had grown extremely frustrated at the OC, Schottenheimer, which started a lot of the Richt resentment. I would love to have a sit down with Kevin Sherrer, but he would probably just take one for the team. Pruitt's recommendation of Sherrer was a goody, but Sales wasn't working out and S&C coach Hocke was no chip off the Cochran block and was sent packing soon enough. Didn't A&M just sweep him out the door with Sumlin? Just some of the dramatic players in this melodrama. I'm not looking for the truth here, simply too tough to get through. Pruitt has got his big break based on 2 strong years with the Crimson Tide. Players love the guy, now, can he recruit?

Murray is talking authoritative about Pruitt...however their time at UGA didnt overlap.

It's one thing for Murray to talk about this behind closed doors, but going on a radio station and saying this...just dumb.

Link to audio below, starts around 10:25...judge for yourself. I listened to the whole thing, my opinion he's attacking Pruitt. Bet your ass Pruitt won't forget this. Tacky move on Murray's part.

the only person who knows why he acted that way towards mark richt is jeremy pruitt.
Not really. I don't know if you recall but I made mention a few times of the clash that was going on with Pruitt and Richt when he was there. Pruitt may have come across the wrong way. The chances are VERY high that he did. BUT, it was needed.

His complaints were directed at the program and how it was being ran. He wanted a much more disciplined structure. He pushed for better facilities. Lo and behold, they were the same changes that Kirby has brought to Athens.

I read the comments from Murray and it tells me one thing; Richt didn't have control. Seriously, is that a shock? To anyone?

Here's the thing. Those that say he doesn't come across as the likeable guy aren't off. He has that personality. I've watched it develop since Saban took him out of Mobile because he was "soft" on the recruiting trail.

That said, Murray is off his rocker if he thinks Kirby is a better coach that Pruitt. Let me be clear. I'm not saying that because Kirby is at Georgia or because of the crap he's pulled in recruiting. It just is what it is.

JP is a better evaluator. I've never had a doubt about that and I don't today. I think most Bama fans can see the differences between the two defenses when Kirby's and Jeremy's are compared. I know the players respond better to Pruitt. I know he's better on the sidelines when it comes to adjustments. His decisions were quicker and better.

However, we simply don't know how good of a head coach Pruitt is or will be. While I've got my issues with both I'd much rather have Pruitt as DC than Kirby.

All that being said...pardon the title of the video. It's wrong. That's what you get as a defender being blocked.

The look on Murray's face right before the hit always gets me.

aaron-murray-and-quinton-dialpng-01e089f1802f361d.png

That's a look of pure terror as your life flashes before your eyes.

All that being said...pardon the title of the video. It's wrong. That's what you get as a defender being blocked.

The look on Murray's face right before the hit always gets me.

aaron-murray-and-quinton-dialpng-01e089f1802f361d.png

That's a look of pure terror as your life flashes before your eyes.

And of course, there is the shitting of the pants.

This quote from Pollack:

“So, I’ll be curious to watch Jeremy Pruitt as he evolves with this relationship with Phillip Fulmer because Jeremy Pruitt did a good job when he was with Nick Saban – because he knew where he stood. He did a good job with Jimbo Fisher – they let you know where you stand. The hierarchy was very clear."

Back
Top Bottom