| FTBL Couple of odds and ends from campus...stadium expansion, etc

TerryP

Staff
Dr Witt held a presser yesterday...a few notes about it.

Largest enrollment in history at UA with 25,580.

Largest freshman enrollment in history with 2,867.

An 8% jump in African American enrollment.

With the freshman enrollment, a full third of them graduated in the top 10% of their class.

Talked about improvements in technology. Having a the Quad wireless was a nice addition this past Sat.

And, on the football front...

This upcoming spring they'll be making serious move on the upcoming expansion by closing in the South end zone.

FWIW, it's not going to be long before the campus isn't going to be one you see people driving through. Heck, that was in the works back in the early 90's. All the wrinkles aren't worked out, but, it's getting there.

Always good to hear the university doing so well. I guess it doesn't hurt to have one of the top 10 business schools in the nation, now does it?

Any further news on how many additional seats the new expansion will produce?

shipley00 said:
Always good to hear the university doing so well. I guess it doesn't hurt to have one of the top 10 business schools in the nation, now does it?

If what I'm hearing is correct, and that is they aren't planning on putting more sky boxes in, it would be at least 10K. With the sky boxes in the North it increased the seating by over 9K, right?

I'm figuring if they get the plans done in the spring of next year they'll start construction in winter of '09 or '10.

With what Coach Moore did with the N. addition, who knows if he'll try to out do the Big House?

No more skyboxes????

I thought that was the big money maker these days?

I also thought there was a pretty long list waiting to get one???

Lenny Kozlowski said:
No more skyboxes????

I thought that was the big money maker these days?

I also thought there was a pretty long list waiting to get one???

That's what I heard a year or so ago. Who knows how it will end up.

Considering the distance from the stadium and Paul Bryant Drive it sort of makes sense to me.

The problem with sky boxes (and in fact it may matter as far as they way they design the seating) is what is running under PB Drive. Again, if I recall correctly, there are major sewage and electrical functions running under the street. I called a friend who is in the business just now and he said that Alabama Power normally doesn't allow building on top of major electrical lines. That's probably the case with the expansion. In his meeting, just for a small building, they were talking about 100K just to move the electrical feed a couple of feet.

How it ends up? I'd bet, it's going to be a chunk of change.

No it doesn't hurt to have a top 10 business school in the nation. Unfortunately Bama doesn't have one. They are ranked 29th among public colleges by US News and World Report, and 48th with private included. Forbes Magazine doesn't have UA listed as top fifty(though AU is 44th if I remember correctly) Bama's business graduate school is ranked top 10 in three categories by Princeton Review, but it is completely compiled by the students of the college so it isn't very subjective, and either way the grad school wouldn't help your freshman recruiting that much.

imatigerfan said:

No it doesn't hurt to have a top 10 business school in the nation. Unfortunately Bama doesn't have one. They are ranked 29th among public colleges by US News and World Report, and 48th with private included. Forbes Magazine doesn't have UA listed as top fifty(though AU is 44th if I remember correctly) Bama's business graduate school is ranked top 10 in three categories by Princeton Review, but it is completely compiled by the students of the college so it isn't very subjective, and either way the grad school wouldn't help your freshman recruiting that much.

And you were doing so well being a friendly fan on a rival board. I don't recall saying anything about Freshman enrollment. I don't recall saying anything about undergraduate vs graduate, I was just pleased to see my university excelling in an area of academics. Had I said anything negative (and incorrect) regarding your university I could understand you response. Are you not proud of your university?

shipley00 said:
imatigerfan said:

And you were doing so well being a friendly fan on a rival board. I don't recall saying anything about Freshman enrollment. I don't recall saying anything about undergraduate vs graduate, I was just pleased to see my university excelling in an area of academics. Had I said anything negative (and incorrect) regarding your university I could understand you response. Are you not proud of your university?

I have to give him this. He did talk about the reasons he decided to attend AU in his introductory thread. The one question I didn't ask him was if he planned on staying in Alabama after he graduated. The last time I checked, around 80% of the graduates stay in state after school...Bama grads that is.

Back
Top Bottom