| FTBL Bryant Museum Tribute to those lost in 2023

I saw this on another site and while watching I see that my 1st HS Coach Robert (Bobby) Smith passed last year. Coach lived in Fort Walton. He was a Co-Captain of Coach Bryant's 1958 team. He was one classy guy. Our 1st meeting (1964) his 1st statement was "I am your mentor and not your buddy".

I lived in Destin from 2003-2010 and we played golf several times and he was a smooth golfer and a great athlete.

He had myself (QB ) and my best friend ( PK) and Coach kick FG's from the 15. If he beat us we got a lick. If we beat him we got a lick. What can you say.

Johnny and I visited Coach and Martha (wife) and I was telling her that Coach didn't give us water until after practice. Martha said (Bobby is that true?). Coach said ( I don't recall it that way". Martha said (If Paul says it then I believe him). A win for me.

RIP Coach. You were a big part of my life and I will never forget you.

Last edited:

I saw this on another site and while watching I see that my 1st HS Coach Robert (Bobby) Smith passed last year. Coach lived in Fort Walton. He was a Co-Captain of Coach Bryant's 1958 team. He was one classy guy. Our 1st meeting (1964) his 1st statement was "I am your mentor and not your buddy".

I lived in Destin from 2003-2010 and we played golf several times and he was a smooth golfer and a great athlete.

He had myself (QB ) and my best friend ( PK) and Coach kick FG's from the 15. If he beat us we got a lick. If we beat him we got a lick. What can you say.

Johnny and I visited Coach and Martha (wife) and I was telling her that Coach didn't give us water until after practice. Martha said (Bobby is that true?). Coach said ( I don't recall it that way". Martha said (If Paul says it then I believe him). A win for me.

RIP Coach. You were a big part of my life and I will never forget you.

Not to take a single thing away from you coach (seems like a good guy), but I wish more parents had that attitude. Too many want to be their kid's friend instead of their parent. And it turns out disastrous for all involved.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just something popped into my head while reading your post.

Back
Top Bottom