| FTBL Comments from a Notre Dame Fan after the game.

0LDSCH00L

A note from a Notre Dame fan named . Very good words from him:

It's taken me a few days to post this as the epic beatdown is finally settled in.

First, if forced to choose, there are very few teams I'd rather lose to than Bama. I have always respected the tradition and excellence of Alabama football. Coming into the game, I was hoping/praying it would be kept a close game but in the back of my mind, I knew it would be really tough to keep it somewhat close.

Second, WOW. That was truly a "men vs. boys" type game. A little background:

Back in the Charlie Weis years, our team was outsized by just about every team we played sans the service academies. It had a huge part to do with our lack of a training table and a good strength and conditioning program (obviously). When Kelly took over, one of his demands was a training table for the team. This was a big controversy at ND because it has always been that the football players are the same as other students and should eat in the dining halls with the rest of the student body. The school gave into the demand and it has paid off.

We were bigger and stronger than just about every team we played in the regular season. It has been a long, long time since that has been the case....until Monday night. What in God's name do you feed those young men down there?! Lacy looks like a linebacker but has the agility of our small RBs. Your defensive backs look like linebackers but just so happen to be ridiculously fast. Whoever your strength & conditioning coach his, give him a raise.

When we were physically manhandled by Stanford a couple years ago, Brian Kelly told our Athletic Director that in a very short time, we will be able to go punch for punch with them. And sure enough, this season, we lined up and played a hell of a physical football game against the Cardinal. After the Bama game, I think we see the next level of physical football we need to reach.

Finally, I just love the way you guys play football. I am so tired of Florida, UGA, and other SEC fans pounding their chest after your win. You guys are a completely different animal than them. Watching the Florida-Louisville game and seeing their players showboating after a big hit even if the ballcarrier had gained a good chunk of yardage was pathetic. They played dirty with late hits, endless jawing back and forth and nonstop showboating. I saw much of the same from UGA.

Bama players would make a perfect tackle, get up and get back into the huddle. No showboating, no taunting the downed player. Good, fundamental football. Saban has the young men well-trained.

One thing we can all agree on is that it is going to be a long 7 months. Hopefully our guys are going to be living in the weight room in the offseason...maybe we will meet again some time soon.

When I think about this from their perspective, I think back to Bama and the 1971 team.

We were mediocre by our standards from 67-70, but with the switch to the wishbone in 1971 we ran the table and ended up playing Nebraska in the Orange Bowl in a 1 vs. 2 matchup. They waxed us 38-7, and made us realize that we weren't where we wanted to be yet.

ND only loses 3 players on defense. They're going to be a really good team next year and their QB Golson really impressed me. His pocket presence, his accuracy, poise, keeps his eyes down field...ND is starting to emulate what we do. I think ND will win a title in 2-3 years from now, use this last title game as motivation to move forward...Sort of like we did after the Louisville loss back in 90 or the Utah loss after the 08 season.

ND only loses 3 players on defense. They're going to be a really good team next year and their QB Golson really impressed me. His pocket presence, his accuracy, poise, keeps his eyes down field...ND is starting to emulate what we do. I think ND will win a title in 2-3 years from now, use this last title game as motivation to move forward...Sort of like we did after the Louisville loss back in 90 or the Utah loss after the 08 season.

Provided Kelly sticks around !

When Kelly took over, one of his demands was a training table for the team. This was a big controversy at ND because it has always been that the football players are the same as other students and should eat in the dining halls with the rest of the student body. The school gave into the demand and it has paid off.

Sounds to me like there is a top down approach to the football program rather than the coach running the program. I believe we had this problem before Saban arrived.

Also where are all those nice ND posters that signed up last month. I haven't seen any post from them. Heck it was just one little ole game. We have been there and done that.

Last edited:
Also where are all those nice ND posters that signed up last month. I haven't seen any post from them. Heck it was just one little ole game. We have been there and done that.

I only recall 2 that came on, one was a good poster, the other was bordering on douchism, I suspect they are still at Mass praying that it was just a dream

Back
Top Bottom