| PRO Colts quarterback, Andrew Luck, retires from the NFL

Have no idea about what his lower leg injury is but by the contract data on here he took 52 Million over the last three years 32 million considered bonus or restructured which is very common. My point is that owners will defintaley take the "Luck" method into account when offering this guaranteed money. Colts got part of 1 year of play for 52 Million.. that is if they didnt pay the roster bonus and this years salary.

You're missing the per year take from the highest paid QB's. $20 to $30 million a year. Luck's 5 year contract, $122MM - an average of $24.4MM a year. In the first three years, he'd gotten $75 million, $25MM a year. You can call it salary, signing bonus, roster bonus, etc. Much of that is structured for the salary cap and, yes, players like something up front for the commitment and in recognition they're giving the team a hedge against salary inflation.

I can't follow your math. Luck played under the new contract in '16 and '18, throwing for over 4,000 yards in each season and a total of 70 TDs. Are you suggesting a guy going through rehab under contract shouldn't be paid? That makes no sense.

Which players had their up front money Rescinded that wasn't agreed upon in their contract?

Listen, this isn't about the money. If it was, it just wouldn't have been handled with the compassion that we're reading about. If for any reason, the contract he signed did indeed "gift" him the money, then the Colts are the ones who guaranteed it.

And as the NFL likes to say when they release some of their best players who they just signed to a worthy free-agent contract, cause they hope to resign him at a less contract after all (I'm feeling you Mark Barron) than nothing personal, cause, NFL business is just NFL business. Now, that's what true NFL business empathy looks like.

You're missing the per year take from the highest paid QB's. $20 to $30 million a year. Luck's 5 year contract, $122MM - an average of $24.4MM a year. In the first three years, he'd gotten $75 million, $25MM a year. You can call it salary, signing bonus, roster bonus, etc. Much of that is structured for the salary cap and, yes, players like something up front for the commitment and in recognition they're giving the team a hedge against salary inflation.

I can't follow your math. Luck played under the new contract in '16 and '18, throwing for over 4,000 yards in each season and a total of 70 TDs. Are you suggesting a guy going through rehab under contract shouldn't be paid? That makes no sense.

11. I appreciate your point and typically we are on the same side of things. In this case it has been well reported and established that there was 24 million dollars that was paid up front that the colts would be within their rights to get back. In their mind they believe that it would be a PR nightmare to ask for it back but I believe that if Luck was doing the "right thing for his team" he would give it or at least some of it back as according to the contract.. as he didnt earn it. If you don't see this then I will just agree to disagree with you.

11. I appreciate your point and typically we are on the same side of things. In this case it has been well reported and established that there was 24 million dollars that was paid up front that the colts would be within their rights to get back. In their mind they believe that it would be a PR nightmare to ask for it back but I believe that if Luck was doing the "right thing for his team" he would give it or at least some of it back as according to the contract.. as he didnt earn it. If you don't see this then I will just agree to disagree with you.

I agree they have a clawback on this, prorated, and I also agree that if they pursued it it would be the last time they would be able to court a premier QB. I'm saying if he'd stayed on for a bit under IR he would have essentially recouped that amount. He reached a point where he had no intention of playing again, and he wan't going to hang around and collect a huge check. He's not a piece of crap (see Stoops' departure date from the dirt burglars for that definition), or letting his teammates down, he's making the best call for his future. I really wish him well, and I think he'll find his way to make an impact outside of the game.

Collin Cowherd is the saddest man in America right now.

Luck was a good QB, but I always felt he was unfortunately a tad bit overhyped. That's not his fault, since he has no control over the perception sports media pushes about him.

Back
Top Bottom