| PRO Colts quarterback, Andrew Luck, retires from the NFL

I see both sides... No one knows his struggle physically and more importantly, mentally.

On the other hand you read stories about the lengths some dudes will go to even get a chance to play professionally. Some dudes would wish to go through the pain and suffering Luck has to play in the NFL, let alone make that kind of money.

Ultimately, he just may not love football the way some people do. In fact, he doesn't. At the same time its his career, body, mind... So whatever is going to make him happy is what he should do.

Ultimately I think he will be back. But for now, it is what it is.

What an idiotic thing to say.

I don't get why the older generations want to put down the younger generations. It's my opinion they are the primary reason the younger generation is what they are.

Every generation gets a bad rap as they're developing. Boomers were selfish, set society adrift, and their prodigal living planted the seeds of fiscal doom - they said. Gen X'ers are unable to communicate with their elders, set no goals for themselves, and are disloyal - they said. Millennials...every football player in the NFL is a millennial, except for about ten - and half of those are kickers or long snappers.

It will talk you into anything. Even suicide and it happens every day. Gottlieb got called out by NFL players that would know what they are talking about.

Dude has had internal injuries at least twice. Played through a lacerated kidney. This latest injury occurred in March after Feb free agent signing. I applaud him for doing something most of us only dream of, walking away set for life while he can still enjoy it. Gottlieb is a phallus in real life and the virtual world. No offense but if I found myself agreeing with him I would need to do some soul searching

I see both sides... No one knows his struggle physically and more importantly, mentally.

On the other hand you read stories about the lengths some dudes will go to even get a chance to play professionally. Some dudes would wish to go through the pain and suffering Luck has to play in the NFL, let alone make that kind of money.

Ultimately, he just may not love football the way some people do. In fact, he doesn't. At the same time its his career, body, mind... So whatever is going to make him happy is what he should do.

Ultimately I think he will be back. But for now, it is what it is.

How do we even begin to rightly speculate on the severity of what that is? Didn't we just get a twitter from one of our Crimson own today about some of the emotional pain he's going through? And hearing him speculate on why it's happening is kinda scary. That's the same debilitating stuff that Junior Seau went through before he took his own life and frankly many more in the NFL. Some of these guys crying for help or taking their own lives were some of the toughest jocks in the game. I've watched the hammering that Luck took and if he says his body has had enough, I get it. That QB got the hell beat out of him, and has missed almost 2 seasons of games.

How do we even begin to rightly speculate on the severity of what that is? Didn't we just get a twitter from one of our Crimson own today about some of the emotional pain he's going through? And hearing him speculate on why it's happening is kinda scary. That's the same debilitating stuff that Junior Seau went through before he took his own life and frankly many more in the NFL. Some of these guys crying for help or taking their own lives were some of the toughest jocks in the game. I've watched the hammering that Luck took and if he says his body has had enough, I get it. That QB got the hell beat out of him, and has missed almost 2 seasons of games.

In terms of McClain - Sad... Unfortunate... And while this may not be a popular sentiment... Very avoidable

Football is naturally a dangerous sport. Lots of other jobs that are less dangerous... He was compensated well for said dangerous work. It is what it is

In terms of Luck - I fully understand why he's quitting. But also pointing out that there are people willing to take those chances - AKA love football more than Luck.

Sad... Unfortunate... And while this may not be a popular sentiment... Very avoidable

Football is naturally a dangerous sport. Lots of other jobs that are less dangerous... He was compensated well for said dangerous work. It is what it is

Regardless of how many lies, being young, will talk you into, in the end, your own personal health is your greatest contract. You don't have to play football to have chosen badly.

Regardless of how many lies, being young, will talk you into, in the end, your own personal health is your greatest contract. You don't have to play football to have chosen badly.

It's fine for him to do.. but he IS bailing on his teammates and screwing the Colts out of guaranteed money that he didnt earn. He negotiated a contract for a long term, took as much of it up front as possible after talking about how much he missed it and how great his body felt.. then bailed on them before the season..?

You guys are right he can bail.. no one knows his body but him.. but don't get it twisted he IS screwing his teammates over and he should return the money prorated for what work he actually did if he wanted to do right buy his team. And for all of these players running to his defense.. watch them squeal when they dont get the upfront money they want and the team cites the Andrew Luck "Problem".

It's fine for him to do.. but he IS bailing on his teammates and screwing the Colts out of guaranteed money that he didnt earn. He negotiated a contract for a long term, took as much of it up front as possible after talking about how much he missed it and how great his body felt.. then bailed on them before the season..?

How is Luck screwing the Colts out of his bonuses when the Colts, on their own volition, "gifted" him the money? And what do you know, medically, that they don't? With maybe the exception they talked to the doctor's and seen the X-rays, over the years, so would understand more clearly than you just how badly he has been injured. I know this is a controversial take, but suppose, just suppose, this isn't about the money? I know, silly, right?

Agreed.... It's a simple question.

Risk vs Reward

My point on the Andrew Luck saga is that there are MANY of us that would take the risk for another 3 years at $30M per. A little different when you've already made $100 M though, also.

In terms of McLain, he could've been a janitor and his head would likely be just fine. It's unfortunate but he made the choice, willingly, to put his body on the line for some nice cash. Risk vs Reward

You guys are right he can bail.. no one knows his body but him.. but don't get it twisted he IS screwing his teammates over and he should return the money prorated for what work he actually did if he wanted to do right buy his team. And for all of these players running to his defense.. watch them squeal when they dont get the upfront money they want and the team cites the Andrew Luck "Problem".

He is not screwing his teammates, or the team. They reached a settlement on the signing bonus. This calf/ankle thing is probably an achilles issue, another year gone spending every day in rehab. Luck could have done the dishonorable thing and hang around another few weeks and claim his $12 million roster bonus. Or he could've gimped around all season and picked up a $9 million salary to boot. Either or both moves zeroes out his early cash pocketed from the contract. He was the 1st pick overall, taking his team to the playoffs, but taken more hits than any other QB during that time. QBs of his caliber, and inferior, are pulling in $20-25MM a year. He has gone through some miserable rehabs, particularly getting that shoulder back. I'm not talking getting washing your hair, brushing your teeth capabilities back, but throwing a heavy object (one that many people can't even grasp) 55 or 60 mph.

How is Luck screwing the Colts out of his bonuses when the Colts, on their own volition, "gifted" him the money? And what do you know, medically, that they don't? With maybe the exception they talked to the doctor's and seen the X-rays, over the years, so would understand more clearly than you just how badly he has been injured. I know this is a controversial take, but suppose, just suppose, this isn't about the money? I know, silly, right?

Never said anything about medical. The Colts restructured contract to get him more guaranteed money upfront per his request.. including this years salary, with the understanding that he earns it does his part of the contract. He stayed on the roster until this part was paid and then cut out before the season. He has the right to quit but as a man I think that is pretty shitty to do the colts that way. And the second part of that statement.. about watching these same players squeal and complain when teams wont do the guaranteed money without a clause or something due to what Luck did.. watch and see if I am right.

My point on the Andrew Luck saga is that there are MANY of us that would take the risk for another 3 years at $30M per. A little different when you've already made $100 M though, also.

My point is at 29 years of age a lot of players, especially at QB, would still choose the NFL, even with the pain, if they were still chasing fame and fortune. The moral of the story: Better to choose wisely at 29 and live to tell the tale, than otherwise. My conviction at this point is that Luck is smarter than most. Cause he's really good at what he does.

In terms of McLain, he could've been a janitor and his head would likely be just fine. It's unfortunate but he made the choice, willingly, to put his body on the line for some nice cash. Risk vs Reward

Why did McLain have to be a janitor or else? Man, the empathy is dripping off you dude.

Never said anything about medical. The Colts restructured contract to get him more guaranteed money upfront per his request.. including this years salary, with the understanding that he earns it does his part of the contract. He stayed on the roster until this part was paid and then cut out before the season. He has the right to quit but as a man I think that is pretty shitty to do the colts that way. And the second part of that statement.. about watching these same players squeal and complain when teams wont do the guaranteed money without a clause or something due to what Luck did.. watch and see if I am right.

Lots of players have had their bonuses rescinded for a variety of reasons. You have zero evidence that the Colts were the least bit interested in doing this. You seemed a lot more interested in recouping the money than the Irsay's.

He is not screwing his teammates, or the team. They reached a settlement on the signing bonus. This calf/ankle thing is probably an achilles issue, another year gone spending every day in rehab. Luck could have done the dishonorable thing and hang around another few weeks and claim his $12 million roster bonus. Or he could've gimped around all season and picked up a $9 million salary to boot. Either or both moves zeroes out his early cash pocketed from the contract. He was the 1st pick overall, taking his team to the playoffs, but taken more hits than any other QB during that time. QBs of his caliber, and inferior, are pulling in $20-25MM a year. He has gone through some miserable rehabs, particularly getting that shoulder back. I'm not talking getting washing your hair, brushing your teeth capabilities back, but throwing a heavy object (one that many people can't even grasp) 55 or 60 mph.

Have no idea about what his lower leg injury is but by the contract data on here he took 52 Million over the last three years 32 million considered bonus or restructured which is very common. My point is that owners will defintaley take the "Luck" method into account when offering this guaranteed money. Colts got part of 1 year of play for 52 Million.. that is if they didnt pay the roster bonus and this years salary.

My point is at 29 years of age a lot of players, especially at QB, would still choose the NFL, even with the pain, if they were still chasing fame and fortune. The moral of the story: Better to choose wisely at 29 and live to tell the tale, than otherwise. My conviction at this point is that Luck is smarter than most. Cause he's really good at what he does.

Why did McLain have to be a janitor or else? Man, the empathy is dripping off you dude.

Good point. He could've been a cashier, computer programmer, or administrative assistant... May have gotten carpal tunnel though.

Again - Risk vs Reward.

Back
Top Bottom