| FTBL Coach Sarkisian's New Raise

This will mark my 27 1/2 year in education. It will also mark my final year. I made a promise to my youngest that I would stay until she graduated. She graduates this year from the HS. Education is definitely a calling much like a preacher. I tip my cap to your missus! My parents both spent 30+ years in education. It is often a thankless profession.

I always likened it to a nurse....or preacher too..
DEFINITELY a high burn out job... especially these days....
Congrats to you...hope ur last year is productive and SAFE...

I always likened it to a nurse....or preacher too..
DEFINITELY a high burn out job... especially these days....
Congrats to you...hope ur last year is productive and SAFE...

I appreciate the words. I think the high burn out rate in education now comes from really no leadership at the very top. The hoops that teachers must go through, constant meetings, paperwork, and flip-flopping on curriculum, leads to a lot of frustration to the point that the person says, “screw it! I’ll go do something else!” Some people ask or say “well, the kids have changed!” No they haven’t!! It’s the parents that changed. Kids will try and do anything that you will let them do. You let them act like little assholes at home because it’s funny, that shit just gets worse as they get older. Then the parents are complaining that “no one told them or schools failed them or I can’t control them anymore!”

@TerryP , you and the others might notice that I am on more today than probably the last 3-4 months. Our schools went back today, teachers only until the 20th, when our students report. @alabama mike, I don't know about y'all, but we are going to have a major number of hoops to jump through this year when it comes to our schools and the guidelines set forth by our health department and CDC. Fun times!!

This will mark my 27 1/2 year in education. It will also mark my final year. I made a promise to my youngest that I would stay until she graduated. She graduates this year from the HS. Education is definitely a calling much like a preacher. I tip my cap to your missus! My parents both spent 30+ years in education. It is often a thankless profession.

@UAgrad93

In Ohio, we have a 4 tiered emergency system in place. Yellow- 100% in school. Orange- 50% in school using an AB schedule. A comes 2 days while B is online and then rotate. Red- 25% in school using an A,B,C & D schedule. Its a mix of group A coming with B,C & D online and then rotates. Purple- 100% online. Right now, our county is in orange but we are thinking we will go back to red any day. The big 8 districts from Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Cleveland are all red. Many of the larger districts have also canceled fall sports. I would not be surprised if the governor, state health commission and state department of education puts the entire state online for the first nine weeks. Its a mess and there are no easy answers. Every single time we develop a plan of action, the state or local health officials change something.

This is year 35 for me. I am starting my 31st in Ohio, 15th as principal. I have 4 years out of state, 1 in Bama and 3 in Tn. It cost too much to buy the out of state years. I need to get to 33 or 34 before I retire from Ohio due to retirement changes with our state teachers retirement system. The new system requires 35 years teaching AND age 60 before you can retire with full benefits.

Yup. We're getting soft

I wouldn’t say ALL of them are, but we do have a lot that don’t want to be bothered with their lives. It’s hard to curb young people from drinking when you don’t, but their friends have parents that buy it for everyone so they can be seen as the cool parent. They will then look you in the eye and lie like a dog, saying that they had no idea that their child was drinking or where it came from.

@UAgrad93

In Ohio, we have a 4 tiered emergency system in place. Yellow- 100% in school. Orange- 50% in school using an AB schedule. A comes 2 days while B is online and then rotate. Red- 25% in school using an A,B,C & D schedule. Its a mix of group A coming with B,C & D online and then rotates. Purple- 100% online. Right now, our county is in orange but we are thinking we will go back to red any day. The big 8 districts from Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Cleveland are all red. Many of the larger districts have also canceled fall sports. I would not be surprised if the governor, state health commission and state department of education puts the entire state online for the first nine weeks. Its a mess and there are no easy answers. Every single time we develop a plan of action, the state or local health officials change something.

This is year 35 for me. I am starting my 31st in Ohio, 15th as principal. I have 4 years out of state, 1 in Bama and 3 in Tn. It cost too much to buy the out of state years. I need to get to 33 or 34 before I retire from Ohio due to retirement changes with our state teachers retirement system. The new system requires 35 years teaching AND age 60 before you can retire with full benefits.
We are color coded here, but we are offering 3 options for our kids in my system. Traditional- in person and face to face, blended- 1-2 days a week, student has to come on campus for state exams or other exams, and 100% virtual. The last 2 options require a meeting with parents to make sure it is the right choice “learning wise” and then they will be closely monitored at the 9 week mark to see if a change is needed.
Alabama went to a 3 tier retirement plan, Tier 1- any age with 25 years of service
Tier 2 age 62 with a minimum of 10 years service
Tier 3- 30 years of service
I’m Tier 1 and will go out with 27 1/2 years, December graduate, and age 50. I will be doing something else though. Not a “full retirement” yet!!

@TerryP , you and the others might notice that I am on more today than probably the last 3-4 months. Our schools went back today, teachers only until the 20th, when our students report. @alabama mike, I don't know about y'all, but we are going to have a major number of hoops to jump through this year when it comes to our schools and the guidelines set forth by our health department and CDC. Fun times!!

Congratulations and thanks for hanging in and making a difference. Good luck in what life brings next. My cousin is beginning her first year of retirement from teaching after about the same tenure. She set up a breakfast food truck (trailer, actually) near Lake Martin and is having a blast.

Congratulations and thanks for hanging in and making a difference. Good luck in what life brings next. My cousin is beginning her first year of retirement from teaching after about the same tenure. She set up a breakfast food truck (trailer, actually) near Lake Martin and is having a blast.
I appreciate it!! I look forward to the next chapter!

UAgrad93, SALUTE!!
Appreciate it! I don’t know whether to say that I am blessed or cursed to have been in education this long. I didn’t make the decision to get in to it until after I left the team as a walk on. I decided then that I wanted to stay involved with athletics, either as a coach or a trainer. Felt I could make the bigger and better impact as a teacher. My parents, both teachers, were split on the news I gave them. My dad was “you got to enjoy what you are going to do. All the money in the world doesn’t mean shit if you ain’t happy!” My mom was so mad! “You aren’t going to make any money!” That was it for the next 3 weeks. She wouldn’t speak to me for 3 weeks!!!

Back
Top Bottom