| FTBL Coach Deboer said Alabama and Him will have chip on their shoulder!

Okay. I'm still going with my question, "who?"

If you look around over the last few years you'll see some coaches hyped that went on to do well (Meyer, Smart, Sark, et al.) We also seen some hyped and crash (Harsin and Napier come to mind.)

But look at this. Most of the time college football fans are correct: they recognize hype that's manufactured versus what's real.

I see two different groups today. One that's looking at this team and staff empirically and the other through the lens of others and their narratives.
Bama has a high standard. It seems like the feel from the post are that Bama is not going to miss a beat in year one post CNS. As you say reading the room... This is purely a vibe I get from the posts as a general theme. Can I point to something specific? Not unless I went back through the threads and I am not going to do that at this point. Adjusting expectations is occurring some in the media. An example of that is Bama not being favored in every game. As a fanbase are we changing our expectations? Not sure we are.

I believe this team will be out of the SEC hunt early in the season. Not because CKD is not a great coach but simply because it will take time for the team to adjust to his system. They certainly will have the influence still in the program for how they prepare and how hard they play and the mindset to play the next play. That was engrained in them from the CNS days. They still have talent. What they do not have is reps in CKD's system. Takes time is all I am saying and that will cost them in year 1 maybe year 2 so it will not be business as usual. Losing 0 or 1 game is business as usual I just do not think that will be the case this year.

I believe this team will be out of the SEC hunt early in the season. Not because CKD is not a great coach but simply because it will take time for the team to adjust to his system.
The problem I have with this thought process is this; you can't point to any of his stops and say it took that team time to adjust to his system.

Sioux Falls, Fresno State, Indiana, Washington ...

I realize we've seen what you are expecting.

I also realize that we are in uncharted waters here. This is no precedent for you to pull and say, "look."

The problem I have with this thought process is this; you can't point to any of his stops and say it took that team time to adjust to his system.

Sioux Falls, Fresno State, Indiana, Washington ...

I realize we've seen what you are expecting.

I also realize that we are in uncharted waters here. This is no precedent for you to pull and say, "look."
Didn't CKD come into programs that were down so he had room to go up. That does not describe Bama nor how a new system will do in this league year 1. I will stop beating the dead horse because it is sounding like I am down on CKD which I am not.

Didn't CKD come into programs that were down so he had room to go up.
He took the same roster in the first year at Washington and turned a four win team into an 11 win team. That's not a "no room to go up." A four win team playing in the title game two years later.

He and Wommack walk into the IU program, in the era with no portal and no NIL, and turn that program into something IU hasn't seen in a long time. They had no where to go but up, went up, and as soon as they left?

I'm looking at what this staff has proven they can do.

Last thought for a few ...

IF UW had no place to go but up, and Bama is already up...

A lot of error messages in my logic test meter.

He took the same roster in the first year at Washington and turned a four win team into an 11 win team. That's not a "no room to go up." A four win team playing in the title game two years later.

He and Wommack walk into the IU program, in the era with no portal and no NIL, and turn that program into something IU hasn't seen in a long time. They had no where to go but up, went up, and as soon as they left?

I'm looking at what this staff has proven they can do.

Last thought for a few ...

IF UW had no place to go but up, and Bama is already up...

A lot of error messages in my logic test meter.
Good thing is we will all find out find out in about 6 months. As a Bama fan I absolutely hope in year 1, Bame under CKD does not miss a beat and even takes it up a step which would mean SEC championship and making it to the NC game. Staying even is winning the SEC Champiohsnip and making the top 4 in the CFP.

Last comment on this from me, I stated in an earlier thread somewhere, I think long term CKD is going to do a great job. It will be different but that is not a problem with me as long as he wins and I expect he will.

I admire Kalen for wanting to be The Man at Bama. It may well prove to be a mistake on his part and Bama's.
What do you mean, "wanting to be 'The Man at Bama?'"

How would it be a mistake? Literally, history has shown you that it takes that type of personality to be successful at Bama. Those who have looked outside the fishbowl they were in inevitably failed.

Secondly, curious as to where you get that notion.

One thing I did like about his approach. He said he's going to do what he has done in the past. It's been successful everywhere he's been, so why change. I'm good with that if that also means, "being 'The Man.'"

JMO but I believe he can coach well enough to contend IF he can keep Bama recruiting within the Top 8-12.
Broaching a different subject here ...

That's going to be more difficult to judge now than its been in the past. Recruiting services don't have any methodology that combines Portal and HS to project a "ranking."

Look at the last class for a second. It has some highly ranked defensive backs. I believe they finished #2 in recruiting rankings on 247. I don't know about the others.

Take those kids, add Saab and Jackson.

Rankings, at least as of today, don't accurately value an incoming class, does it?

What do you mean, "wanting to be 'The Man at Bama?'"

How would it be a mistake? Literally, history has shown you that it takes that type of personality to be successful at Bama. Those who have looked outside the fishbowl they were in inevitably failed.

Secondly, curious as to where you get that notion.

One thing I did like about his approach. He said he's going to do what he has done in the past. It's been successful everywhere he's been, so why change. I'm good with that if that also means, "being 'The Man.'"

Broaching a different subject here ...

That's going to be more difficult to judge now than its been in the past. Recruiting services don't have any methodology that combines Portal and HS to project a "ranking."

Look at the last class for a second. It has some highly ranked defensive backs. I believe they finished #2 in recruiting rankings on 247. I don't know about the others.

Take those kids, add Saab and Jackson.

Rankings, at least as of today, don't accurately value an incoming class, does it?
30% of the recruits Nick signed (before NIL even started) never played a meaningful down. Recruiting is tuff business even for The King.

30% of the recruits Nick signed (before NIL even started) never played a meaningful down. Recruiting is tuff business even for The King.
Probably more. We'd probably find the industry average at 50%.

You're building on earlier question about the value of the rankings today. That 30% will end up at a Kansas State, or a TCU. They will be contributor's; likely some of the more talented guys on those rosters.

But, it won't effect the ranking, or perception, of their class.

Didn't CKD come into programs that were down so he had room to go up. That does not describe Bama nor how a new system will do in this league year 1. I will stop beating the dead horse because it is sounding like I am down on CKD which I am not.
Look at CKD and his history. Simple as that. and he has stated that he will tweak offense to fit the personnel on the team, and it sounds like players are catching on faster with the offense and defense, so I don't think it's an issue. If a freshman can learn playbook in few months and actually start, then it's doable.

Back
Top Bottom