| GAME THREAD šŸˆ CFB Week 4 - SEC games and beyond with several "ranked on ranked" match ups to highlight Bama's off week.

Just noticed on the schedule that 4 SEC teams have bye weeks before they play Bama... UGA, Vandy, LSU, and Oklahoma. 0 SEC teams have bye weeks before playing Tennessee while they get byes before Arkansas and Kentucky. How does that happen?
With two byes in this season, that's not surprising. We have two off weeks ahead of UGA and LSU. It's not as bad as it was - when was it, 2012-13 - when most of our SEC opponents had an off-week ahead of us.

Somethings you see with Tennessee:

Heupel is excellent at play designs and knowing how to get players the ball in space. It's got to be one of the only offenses in football that seriously does believe in stretching the field vertically because 20-40% of their plays are deep shots. Noticed also that on short yardage situations, Tennessee has a H-Back and a a TE lined up on the right side, but the design is for the RB to run it on the left. It's a ton of eye candy. I think Heupel's offense is beautifully designed, but when you can get him to go off of scripted plays, TN is very vulnerable. Easier said than done obviously.

Their defense is damn good. Probably the one thing people aren't talking enough about.

I get kinda jealous sometimes of these stadiums like OU's where the fans are right on top of the field... meanwhile Bryant-Denny you need binoculars from row 10. Coleman Coliseum? If you want and to voice support for the team you have to mail a letter to the court.
I concur. It's been an unpopular opinion of mine for a long time, but I wish BDS could be renovated for this issue and to arch the stadium more to create a more intimidating environment. The stadium is loud, but a fix in its architecture could make it louder.

It'll never happen though. Just like a new arena won't, because fuck me that's why.

It's got to be one of the only offenses in football that seriously does believe in stretching the field vertically because 20-40% of their plays are deep shots.
We're going to have to let that sort itself out. Out of the top 15 in YPA, he's at #11. The thing about that 15 is only four of the teams have played four games: the rest, three.

Jalen is ahead of Nico. Jackson Dart leads the pack.

We're going to have to let that sort itself out. Out of the top 15 in YPA, he's at #11. The thing about that 15 is only four of the teams have played four games: the rest, three.

Jalen is ahead of Nico. Jackson Dart leads the pack.
Definitely will play out, but I'm not even talking about completions. Every year Heupel has been there, they throw the ball more downfield than any team in the country. Completion or not, it stretches the defense and sets up successful runs/WR screens.

I'm interested to see how Wommack game plans for it. Kirby and Schumann put five guys at the LOS and played man back in 2022 and it worked well. Saban and Steele did an excellent job after halftime, forcing Heupel to go off script.

I concur. It's been an unpopular opinion of mine for a long time, but I wish BDS could be renovated for this issue and to arch the stadium more to create a more intimidating environment. The stadium is loud, but a fix in its architecture could make it louder.

It'll never happen though. Just like a new arena won't, because fuck me that's why.

Its loud enough. I dont see how a QB can even think with crowd noise.

Not as loud ss a few others. Probably more bama fans are not as loud as some. Just not.

With two byes in this season, that's not surprising. We have two off weeks ahead of UGA and LSU. It's not as bad as it was - when was it, 2012-13 - when most of our SEC opponents had an off-week ahead of us.

It's better than it used to be for sure, but still pretty uneven. The funny part about years ago is a good argument could be made that teams would have benefited from a bye the week after they played Bama, not the week before. But as it stands now, most teams look to have 2 or 3 SEC teams off before a game with them this year... Bama is an outlier at 4. The Vols are one of 3 teams with 0 (if I saw correctly)... it's them, South Carolina, and auburn.

Back
Top Bottom