| FTBL CFB Playoff

RollTideinGA

Proud Bama Grad
I know the answer is $$$ from bowls, tv, tie-ins, etc.

But why is it so difficult to have a Playoff in Div 1A football? All the other divisions of college football do it. All other NCAA sports have a final playoff or tournament. Is it me or does it seem easy to solve?

RollTideinGA said:

But why is it so difficult to have a Playoff in Div 1A football? All the other divisions of college football do it. All other NCAA sports have a final playoff or tournament. Is it me or does it seem easy to solve?

Personally I love the bowl games! But we need to get the 8 best football teams in the country(By rankings) and have a playoff but still call them bowl games and still have all the other bowl games

reger60 said:
RollTideinGA said:

You answered your own question. Ever known of an issue that involved that much money being easy to solve?

We really do need to keep the politicians out of it though. Them being around all that $ will cause them to go into a feeding frenzy.

psychojoe said:
reger60 said:
RollTideinGA said:

You answered your own question. Ever known of an issue that involved that much money being easy to solve?

We really do need to keep the politicians out of it though. Them being around all that $ will cause them to go into a feeding frenzy.

Yes unfortunatly it will.

psychojoe said:
reger60 said:
RollTideinGA said:

I agree! But a system exists for the other divisions, why not use it. The bowls could be a part of it.

RollTideinGA said:
psychojoe said:
reger60 said:
RollTideinGA said:

I agree! But a system exists for the other divisions, why not use it. The bowls could be a part of it.

How much revenue do you think the entire Division 2 playoff generates? Probably not as much as the Rose Bowl by itself.

reger60 said:
RollTideinGA said:
psychojoe said:
reger60 said:
RollTideinGA said:

How much revenue do you think the entire Division 2 playoff generates? Probably not as much as the Rose Bowl by itself.

Its not setup to. How about that March Madness? Its a playoff and it generates alot of $.

I think it is a pissing contest of control of the said moneys. The presidents/universities have all the control when it comes to the bowls. You can even politic a little to try and get an invite in certain situations. NCAA controls the Basketball tourney and they control the purse strings in that situation.

I think the institutions would feel that if they go to some sort of play off it not only will affect their money, but also will take them out of the equation.

How many folks you know in power want to give it up?

Number1TideFan19 said:
RollTideinGA said:

Personally I love the bowl games! But we need to get the 8 best football teams in the country(By rankings) and have a playoff but still call them bowl games and still have all the other bowl games
Sorry this will never happen. This has been talk about I know since 1978. that been 30 years talking about a playoff. It will still be talk about for the next 30 years.

I agree rammerjammer ! It indeed is a pissing contest that presidents of the unversities win hands down. Wasn't there some talk on here last week how Coach Moore had talked with the Cotton Bowl people and persuaded them to take us instead of LSWho in 05?

I personally like the bowls but also would love to see at least a plus one format.

The main difference is that all other college sports championships are actual NCAA championships, while college football is done by the BCS, which is NOT an agency of the NCAA. The reason that is the case, dates back to the lawsuit back in 1984.

So to get a playoff, we will need the BCS to vanquish and the NCAA to proved the championship as it does with every other sport. But don't look for that to happen. Read all the rules about the playoffs for division 1 FCS, Division 2 and Division 3 football. The NCAA rules clearly state that in those divisions, no corporation may sponsor a game and that no corporate logos can be displayed in the stadiums where a playoff game is being played....

so there ya have it. It IS all about the money and sponsorship.

honestly though..does it really matter what number you finish if you have a good season and win your bowl game?.. in a playoff system every team except one will finish the season with a loss..

there have many great years of football that an alabama bowl win was the final topping to a better than expected season.. no let downs and a great foundation to build on for the next year..

4th-and-1 said:
the 8 team playoff system will create it's own problems.. such as, how will the team ranked #9 feel..

This is easy.
First, if you can't break into the top 8, then you are really not a contender. Heck, #8 should feel lucky to be invited. A line has to be drawn somewhere and if you can't get to eight, then you are not in.

After the bowls are played, the worst case scenario is that the #8 wins the NC and the #9 wins its bowl. #9 has no argument. Here is why.

First, given the entire season the team failed 8 times (for each of the eight slots) to get into the tourney.

Second, at best #9 plays and beats the underdog #10 team. One game, one win.

Third, AT WORST the #8 having already beaten out the #9 team in the pre-tourney polls then went on the beat the #1 team, # 6 team, and the #7 team. Three more wins all against teams better that the #8.

No argument.

Back
Top Bottom