| FTBL can we stop a big 12 offense

i know i may be counting the chickens before they hatch but can we stop the scoring of a big 12 team. we don't seem to be able to stop the pass that well especially late in games. look at what georgia did late and the last scoring drive lsu put on us. it seems that oklahoma, texas, and texas tech can almost score at will. i do understand that we have a much better defense than any of the teams the big 12 has played but would hate to make it to the big dance and get it handed to us.

You saw UGA VS Hawaii, didn't you? lol
Just kidding, I know it's not the same thing.

Can we stop them? NO
Can we give them different looks to mess up the timing? YES

We have a fast defense that can cover the field. Crabtree will get his touches, but I don't think they could match up against OUR OFFENSE.

If we play them, the game will be won when WE HAVE THE BALL. Ball control is key. They can't score if they don't have the ball.

I think they could score 30 points on us, but I think we could drop 50 on there arse. We are too physical.

SEC speed and toughness is second to none, I don't care what the rest of the country thinks.

If Florida plays Tech for the title, it will be over at the half. Conference pride, folks! We're tougher and we're better!!!

RTR...and GO SEC!!!

~Bryan

While it's left to be seen...

The key with all of those offenses you mentioned is rhythm. Keeping the ball out of the offenses hands will do that.

Let me pose this question to you.

Do you think any of those Big12 teams can stop a strong running game? Okie State seems to have the strongest in the Big12 this year and they had success running against Tx Tech.

Two of their drives failed with a fumble and an INT. The others when they were trying to move the ball with the majority of the calls being passing plays.

I don't see the Okie State team having a defense. I don't see many teams in the Big12 having much of a defense.

Quite frankly, I think that our defensive staff can come up with a game plan to stop those offenses. Not everytime, but enough to keep the game from getting out of hand and allowing them to score on every possession.

Nothing has changed in football. A solid defense, physical play, can handle such offenses.

Heck, go back a little over 10 years and you see a running team featuring a strong defense out of the Big12 facing a SEC team that was very pass happy but had little defense and that SEC was beaten, badly. '95 was the year, if I recall correctly.

born-a-fan said:
don't mean to sound hateful but this ain't 2005. and florida has a different style offense than the big 12 teams

While that's true, the scheme used to stop Tx Tech isn't one that Texas or Okie State has tried. I think it'll work now as well.

In fact, I'd dare say we see OU use the same approach to defend Tx Tech we used in '05.

i'm sure we can run the ball down their throats but that takes time and if they score quickly i don't see there being enough ticks on the clock. just to let everyone know, i'm just throwing things out there not saying we would lose.

i was 15 when we beat miami for our last championship and pray that we get it again this year

Just from an objective point of view, I can't see them stopping Julio on those 8-10 yard sideline routes. Especially if we establish a ground game.

Making the Tech defense stay on the field is key in respect to physical fatigue. They don't face too many teams that pound the ball, b/c many of the teams they face run a similar offense to Tech.

I'm not saying Tech is not a great team, but the styles are like apples and oranges.

Tech is great, but finesse can only take you so far. The trench war is ours...

~Bryan

Although those Big 12 blowouts are great to watch - I don't think they would be able to play that style of football against our defense. They are not used to SEC smashmouth and I think it will rattle their QB. I also think it might be Rashad & teams dream to play - Can you imagine the pick possibilities?

I may ruffle some feathers here but IMO Graham Harrell is the best QB in college football right now...The touch he can put on a pass is remarkable, then he can turn right around and zip it between defenders and be dead on at 30 yds. Even when flushed from the pocket, his accuracy is outstanding, he never looks confused.Nobody has put him on his rear end yet..really put some hits on him. Their O-Line is outstanding. Whoever beats them will have to get to him and really break up the timing on the routes. Just my 2-cents...

born-a-fan said:
i'm sure we can run the ball down their throats but that takes time and if they score quickly i don't see there being enough ticks on the clock. just to let everyone know, i'm just throwing things out there not saying we would lose.

i was 15 when we beat miami for our last championship and pray that we get it again this year

They have never seen defensive speed, strength and smarts like the way the SEC does things.

They roll those stats up because they face tinklepoop defenses.

The physical element is something that they have not faced. That is to say having every move of every player on every play contested. SEC defenses are fast, but they are also like trying to run in water...any one second is not so much worse than being outside the water, but after and hour your butt is beaten. Bama does that better than anyone else in the SEC.

Pace and rhythm of a Texas Tech are what they do well that we have not seen. Onedimensionall Offenses don't survive in the SEC so every team slows it down and grinds it out at some point in a game with the run. Terry is right in that disrupting the rhythm is key to doing well against a Texas Tech...that and scoring some points yourself.

Southern Bama said:
I may ruffle some feathers here but IMO Graham Harrell is the best QB in college football right now...The touch he can put on a pass is remarkable, then he can turn right around and zip it between defenders and be dead on at 30 yds. Even when flushed from the pocket, his accuracy is outstanding, he never looks confused.Nobody has put him on his rear end yet..really put some hits on him. Their O-Line is outstanding. Whoever beats them will have to get to him and really break up the timing on the routes. Just my 2-cents...

Based on what I have seen I agree with you. He hits 40 of 50 passes thrown, but from what I have seen the teams only rush 3 maybe 4 to apply pressure because they feel the need to back off 8 or 9 to double cover, then he has all day and ends up with someone open after what seems like an eternity. SEC defenses will rely on their 4.3-4.4 burners to cover the receivers and get some hits in on him. Before the third quarter he will not look like the same poised QB back there in the pocket. Even so, I do think he is a great QB and Crabtree, well it doesn't hurt to have him catching your tosses.

elbatider said:
Southern Bama said:

Based on what I have seen I agree with you. He hits 40 of 50 passes thrown, but from what I have seen the teams only rush 3 maybe 4 to apply pressure because they feel the need to back off 8 or 9 to double cover, then he has all day and ends up with someone open after what seems like an eternity. SEC defenses will rely on their 4.3-4.4 burners to cover the receivers and get some hits in on him. Before the third quarter he will not look like the same poised QB back there in the pocket. Even so, I do think he is a great QB and Crabtree, well it doesn't hurt to have him catching your tosses.

He is a good system QB, just like Timmy Chang was. There are probably a dozen QB's who will be taken before him in the NFL draft this April. He racks up a ton of yardage against a bunch of piss-poor defenses, and whoever replaces him will do the same thing next year. I hope with all my heart we play Texas Tech for the national title. For laughs, take a look at the pass defense rankings Red Raiders have faced thus far...

Eastern Washington- 118th
Nevada- 119th
SMU- 94th
Massachusetts- 9th
Kansas St.- 93rd
Nebraska- 92nd
Texas A&M- 87th
Kansas- 116th
Texas- 109th
Oklahoma St.- 110th

Porter said:
For laughs, take a look at the pass defense rankings Red Raiders have faced thus far...

Eastern Washington- 118th
Nevada- 119th
SMU- 94th
Massachusetts- 9th
Kansas St.- 93rd
Nebraska- 92nd
Texas A&M- 87th
Kansas- 116th
Texas- 109th
Oklahoma St.- 110th

Wow, that is for laughs, Porter. Another thing that may have already been covered and I simply missed it is that they have a pop tart running game.

It is sweet and nice, not down and dirty. Sure, TT runs a bit more than a Hawaii like team, but they are not, by any stretch of the imagination, a threat on the ground. Not to our defense anyway.

That being the case, 'Bama can handle their accurate QB and get him flustered.

If they were smash mouth runners and superstar passers also, that would be a whole different scenario for the defense. Luckily, they are just a superstar passing team.

I found it amazing at the time TT had throwing the ball against Oklahoma State. I mean Graham Harrell could have planted a flower and watched it grow with the time he had to throw the ball. Hell you could put Mt Cody with that kinda time in the backfield and he will make passes. Our D would eat them guys alive. No doubt in my mind about it.

Back
Top Bottom