| NEWS Caesars projects Aggies to have third-highest win total in SEC - 247Sports

@252BAMA Looking around the ACC a bit and a few things jumped out.

Tony Elliott (Clemson) taking over Virginia. Look at their schedule! Virginia could be bowl eligible by October.

UNC gets Notre Dame and Pitt at home, Wake on the road, and avoids Clemson and Florida State.

Man. I'd just have to laugh if I was a GT fan. Ole Miss is on the schedule so there's that. They open with Clemson, close with Georgia. They're at Pitt, at UNC, and at FSU. 😂

Tony Elliott (Clemson) taking over Virginia. Look at their schedule! Virginia could be bowl eligible by October.

UNC gets Notre Dame and Pitt at home, Wake on the road, and avoids Clemson and Florida State.

Man. I'd just have to laugh if I was a GT fan. Ole Miss is on the schedule so there's that. They open with Clemson, close with Georgia. They're at Pitt, at UNC, and at FSU. 😂
Yicks for GT......it ashame modern fans dont hate them like us older fans do/did...
Not worth hating anymore...

Yicks for GT......it ashame modern fans dont hate them like us older fans do/did...
Not worth hating anymore...
The consternation with Bobby Dodd and GT was but a fraction of that with Furman Bisher and the Atlanta Journal. In fact when Dodd wanted to rejoin the SEC, Coach Bryant offered to sponsor the nomination. Dodd declined because he knew the Mississippi schools would vote it down. He would not schedule them. The only regular season game against either that he coached was one he inherited on the schedule against Ole Miss in 1946 when he became the HC.

Don't put a "W" by 'at Syracuse' for UVA. UVA's TARP # is -2 (+2.5-O /-4.5-D). Syracuse's is +7.5 ( +4.5-O /+3-D). TARP= Transferring Assets & Returning Production. Click the Jason Beck link below to read more.

2022 TARP Biggest Risers

Syracuse Orange

There will be no sleeping on the Orange offense heading into 2022, as offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert has been replaced by Robert Anae from the Virginia staff.

In the wake of Bronco Mendenhall’s retirement, Syracuse head coach Dino Babers was also quick to scoop Virginia quarterback coach Jason Beck. This is great news for an offense that returns over 75%, led by quarterback Garrett Shrader and running back Sean Tucker.

Last edited:
Dodd declined because he knew the Mississippi schools would vote it down. He would not schedule them. The only regular season game against either that he coached was one he inherited on the schedule against Ole Miss in 1946 when he became the HC.
A win against Ole Miss in '46 followed by Mississippi hiring John Vaught where they finished first in the SEC in '47.

I think about Dodd looking west and seeing Vaught and I might avoid scheduling them as well. 🙃 Vaught ended up winning what, three times the SECC's than Dodd?

The consternation with Bobby Dodd and GT was but a fraction of that with Furman Bisher and the Atlanta Journal. In fact when Dodd wanted to rejoin the SEC, Coach Bryant offered to sponsor the nomination. Dodd declined because he knew the Mississippi schools would vote it down. He would not schedule them. The only regular season game against either that he coached was one he inherited on the schedule against Ole Miss in 1946 when he became the HC.

Wow....with the bad blood between Dodd n BEAR i am shocked that BEAR would sponsor him back in SEC.... must have put it behind them...shocking

"Story of a College Football Fix" is so incrediblely yellow journalism it’s unbelievable that the SEP would have printed...

And Furman Bisher was such a Bear hater...and Bama hater

Don't put a "W" by 'at Syracuse' for UVA.
Via their own (Action Network) power rankings, even with the edge on TARP, 'Cuse would be -2 if they played on a neutral field today. Good luck trying to determine what Syracuse will get when it comes to HFA: they finished the regular season with a -2½ HFA for '21.

Would you take 'Cuse, -4½ against UVA? Even at 4½ I doubt we'd see a ML larger than -125 / -130.
Look at their schedule! Virginia could be bowl eligible by October.
Based on their schedule I still can see them winning six of nine before their November stretch begins. I noticed Covers has their total at 7½ (under -140, over 115) for the season. I haven't done a lot of research on the ACC though this early eight seems about right.

Wow....with the bad blood between Dodd n BEAR i am shocked that BEAR would sponsor him back in SEC.... must have put it behind them...shocking

"Story of a College Football Fix" is so incrediblely yellow journalism it’s unbelievable that the SEP would have printed...

And Furman Bisher was such a Bear hater...and Bama hater
Coach Bryant foresaw long before it happened what is and has been going on with expansion and the big TV money. The Atlanta TV market at that time was greater than the rest of the SEC combined. He was willing to set aside the differences with Dodd to put that market firmly in the hands of the SEC.

A win against Ole Miss in '46 followed by Mississippi hiring John Vaught where they finished first in the SEC in '47.

I think about Dodd looking west and seeing Vaught and I might avoid scheduling them as well. 🙃 Vaught ended up winning what, three times the SECC's than Dodd?
Good point. I always thought it was just that Dodd was too uppity to play the Mississippi schools but that probably had a lot do to with it also. That would have been exposed if he had played MSU and not Ole Miss. You are correct in that Vaught won 6 titles while Dodd won but 2.

What I loved about GT was that it took the barn 41 years after GT left the conference to equal the 5 titles they have. And another 6 years to surpass them. :D

Last edited:
@252BAMA

All of this was before my time: Dodd and Bisher. I knew about the story through books, mostly, and a few fans accounts I heard when I was growing up.

The thing I loved about the story really has nothing to do with the story.

September 4th, 1999: Alabama opens the season against Vanderbilt. There's a lot I can't remember about that game like "was it PPV?" I ask that because there was a reason I chose to watch the game at a sports bar; I can't recall why.

The lady I was dating at the time and I got there a little early to get "front row seats:" directly in front of the TV broadcasting the game and as close as possible to the bartender's cash register. (Pro tip: in a crowded bar, it's the best seat.)

We spent three quarters talking to a fellow Bama fan about the game, the team, and the staff. (I was living in Tuscaloosa at the time and spent a lot of time working around the facilities. That weekend, we were visiting SC (once is enough at Vanderbilt Stadium) rather than going to the game.) At the beginning of the fourth quarter I mentioned that we'd been talking about Bama for the last couple of hours and I had no idea what his name was.

Darwin Holt.

"Ah, I know who you are" was my only reply. (He noticed I was eyeing his ring as my own "proof.") Funny, looking back. I should have, but never mentioned anything about GT that afternoon. Looking back he probably appreciated that. 🤷‍♂️

Via their own (Action Network) power rankings, even with the edge on TARP, 'Cuse would be -2 if they played on a neutral field today. Good luck trying to determine what Syracuse will get when it comes to HFA: they finished the regular season with a -2½ HFA for '21.

Would you take 'Cuse, -4½ against UVA? Even at 4½ I doubt we'd see a ML larger than -125 / -130.

Based on their schedule I still can see them winning six of nine before their November stretch begins. I noticed Covers has their total at 7½ (under -140, over 115) for the season. I haven't done a lot of research on the ACC though this early eight seems about right.
Just going by the TARP numbers, it appears the ACC will be stronger overall. For example, the SEC has but three teams with positive numbers. Bama +4, UK +3 and UF +1. ACC has ten positive and one neutral! The three highest are NCSU +9.5, FSU +9, and Syracuse +7.5.
@252BAMA

All of this was before my time: Dodd and Bisher. I knew about the story through books, mostly, and a few fans accounts I heard when I was growing up.

The thing I loved about the story really has nothing to do with the story.

September 4th, 1999: Alabama opens the season against Vanderbilt. There's a lot I can't remember about that game like "was it PPV?" I ask that because there was a reason I chose to watch the game at a sports bar; I can't recall why.

The lady I was dating at the time and I got there a little early to get "front row seats:" directly in front of the TV broadcasting the game and as close as possible to the bartender's cash register. (Pro tip: in a crowded bar, it's the best seat.)

We spent three quarters talking to a fellow Bama fan about the game, the team, and the staff. (I was living in Tuscaloosa at the time and spent a lot of time working around the facilities. That weekend, we were visiting SC (once is enough at Vanderbilt Stadium) rather than going to the game.) At the beginning of the fourth quarter I mentioned that we'd been talking about Bama for the last couple of hours and I had no idea what his name was.

Darwin Holt.

"Ah, I know who you are" was my only reply. (He noticed I was eyeing his ring as my own "proof.") Funny, looking back. I should have, but never mentioned anything about GT that afternoon. Looking back he probably appreciated that. 🤷‍♂️
I was sitting in the student section on about row 20 when the Holt-Graning play occurred DIRECTLY in front of me. The punt was being fair caught and would not be returned so I was watching Holt when it happened. Holt was famous (infamous?) for throwing a forearm into the chest of an opponent. Saw him do it many times. When he attempted that on that play, not knowing the punt was being fair caught, Graning ducked and caught it in the face. I saw it with my own two eyes which were a helluva lot better back then than they are now.

Last edited:
Just going by the TARP numbers, it appears the ACC will be stronger overall. For example, the SEC has but three teams with positive numbers. Bama +4, UK +3 and UF +1. ACC has ten positive and one neutral! The three highest are NCSU +9.5, FSU +9, and Syracuse +7.5.

I was sitting in the student section on about row 20 when the Holt-Graning play occurred DIRECTLY in front of me. The punt was being fair caught and would not be returned so I was watching Holt when it happened. Holt was famous (infamous?) for throwing a forearm into the chest of an opponent. Saw him do it many times. When he attempted that on that play, not knowing the punt was being fair caught, Graning ducked and caught it in the face. I saw it with my own two eyes which were a helluva lot better back then than they are now.

GT had been roughing Trammel up all day ...
A little payback...
You know...Graning was dating...annette funichello ( the girl on mickey mouse show..a mouse-qteer?...or whatever...lol).

Me n my dad were at AU-GT game...( dad got free tics)...where GT player kicked the AU player in face...as he was laying on ground..
GT and Dodd were dirty ..played dirty...hated them...

GT had been roughing Trammel up all day ...
A little payback...
You know...Graning was dating...annette funichello ( the girl on mickey mouse show..a mouse-qteer?...or whatever...lol).

Me n my dad were at AU-GT game...( dad got free tics)...where GT player kicked the AU player in face...as he was laying on ground..
GT and Dodd were dirty ..played dirty...hated them...
Namath was kicked while on the ground in the '64 GT game. Probably because when he first entered the scoreless game there were 90 seconds left in the first half. Limped onto the field and then, Boom! Boom! Halftime score was 14-0 Bama! He had missed the previous 4 games because of an injury in the NCSU game. Final score was 24-7. Namath was like a man playing against boys in 1964.

Last edited:
It'll be reflected in the polls for the first few weeks, no doubt. There's enough decent teams in the ACC to give us four or five 10-2/9-3 type teams.

Another interesting schedule for this fall is Texas Tech. Out of their eight conference games, each one (except Texas) falls into one of those "overlook / let down / look ahead" games.

As examples:

• They face OU the week following Bedlam.
They take on Baylor the week before they play OU.
• ISU is sandwiched between two road games for the Cyclones: @ TCU and @ OSU. They'll be playing TTU on the road.
• WVU is coming after their (Mountaineers) road tilt against Baylor.

Namath was kicked while on the ground in the '64 GT game. Probably because when he first entered the scoreless game there were 90 seconds left in the first half. Limped onto the field and then, Boom! Boom! Halftime score was 14-0 Bama! He had missed the previous 4 games because of an injury in the NCSU game. Final score was 24-7. Namath was like a man playing against boys in 1964.
Yep...that was quite a game...was at that GT- bama game...
When games was-over...they changed scoreboard-to read ...Tech 99 bama 0..lol

Back
Top Bottom