| NEWS Bryant-Denny Stadium renovation starts Monday: What you need to know- AL.com

B

Bama News

For a few hours Saturday, Bryant-Denny Stadium will be all about football. The home finale with Western Carolina kicks off at 11 a.m., in the last game before a makeover.

By Monday, the construction fences will surround most of the 90-year old home of Alabama. Nine-plus months of intense construction work will begin on the $92.5 million first phase of the stadium renovation approved over the summer.

High-end club seats and suites will replace seats on the west end, student social spaces will be added on the south end while four larger video boards will replace the existing ones in each of the corners. A new tunnel will also bore through the north end zone steps leading directly into the Alabama locker room as part of a new Walk of Champions experience.

Work has actually been quietly underway for a few weeks pouring 11 of the deep foundations for the new structure on the stadium's west side, said Alabama assistant AD for facilities, Brandon Sevedge. After Monday, the fences will surround two thirds of the stadium and extend into the north end zone plaza known for the Walk of Champions.

Most of the work for the next six to eight weeks will be done underground and with demolition inside the stadium. Little will be visible from the outside on a project with a large scale and tight timeline.

"Demolition is a big part of the project," Sevedge said. "Kind of the unique thing about this project is we're not working on one side. We're working everywhere."

The press box and club seating will be torn out on the west side to accommodate the Champions and Terrace clubs along with the Founders suites and with loge boxes.

The 10 Founders suites sold for $5 million apiece with 4-seat loge boxes requiring a $150,000 donation on top of $16,000 annual contributions. The initial contribution can be spread out over five years.

After the demolition is complete, work will begin on the stand-alone structure that will house the backend of those new club levels. It will extend beyond the current footprint of the stadium and will overhang Wallace Wade Avenue, which will also close for the duration of construction.

"The west side expansion is the most difficult part of the entire project," Sevedge said "and the reason why is you're building a structure up and you're not tying into the stadium until you get to the upper levels."

The expanded club level will also allow for a larger upper-deck concourse on the west side since it will be part of the club's roof.

New skyboxes are also coming to the east side, where the press box will be relocated. The north end zone seats will now include a bunker-style clubs similar to ones found on the sidelines of NFL stadiums like in Atlanta and Dallas.

That scale and multiple worksites within the stadium create the biggest challenge.

"It's spread out," Sevedge said. "It's probably one of the most intense projects the university has ever done in the athletic department. We're basically doing $10 million worth of work per month. Just imagine, we'll probably have up to 600 workers at the stadium each day during the peak. It's just a really tough project."

A typical project, Sevedge estimates, does $2-3 million of work per month.

The plan still makes room for the annual A-Day game to be played in Bryant-Denny this April, but it will be quite different from past events. There will be a temporary sound system and the new video boards will not be in place. Only a portion of the seating bowl will be able to accommodate fans at an event that's drawn 92,000 but has seen smaller crowds in recent years.

The new locker room tunnel will also require some rearrangement on the Walk of Champions. The new structure will extend approximately 60 feet further than the current steps, Sevedge said, so the championship plaques that line the walk will need to be pulled up and spaced closer together.

Inside the stadium, it's still unclear how the capacity will be impacted. After adding the south upper deck in 2010, the stadium was listed at 101,821 seats -- the seventh largest college stadium nationally. Michigan Stadium at 107,601 seats remains the largest.

The current plan that was approved over the summer differs from the original design announced in 2018. Scraped was the demolition of most of that new south upper deck for a student social deck and massive video board. More gathering spaces will be created under the stadium instead and the larger video boards will go in the same corner locations.

All of this work comes with a tight deadline

The timeline was narrow enough to move the AHSAA state football championships to Auburn (Dec. 4-6) so work could begin immediately following the end of Alabama's home schedule.

Everything needs to be complete by Sept. 12 when Alabama opens its 2020 home schedule with Georgia State.

Delays aren't an option.

"Really, the end date can't change," Sevedge said. "It really can't. It's going to be absorbed by more people and more labor."

For one more Saturday, however, the current version of Bryant-Denny Stadium will get one more day in the sun.

Seat neighbors displaced by the new club levels -- some of whom haven’t changed seats since the west upper deck was built in 1988 -- will get one more game before the demolition makes way for premium offerings.

New options1-time donation*annual donationTerm
Champions Club$10,000$3,50010 years
Terrace Club$10,000$2,75010 years
North field clubn/a$2,25010 years
Loge box (4 seats)$150,000$16,0005 years

Going to be pricing folks out sooner rather than later. Folks aren't chomping at the bit to get on the Alabama bandwagon anymore, so they better watch their spending and ripping the gold fillings out of their supporters. Yeah, a number of games against decent opponents is nice, but not everyone just has the disposable income anymore. Once my parents get to the age of not going anymore, disposable income for folks my age and younger is not what it was like with our parents generation. Student loans, cell phone bills out the ass, cable and internet through the roof, all of those expenses generations before us didn't grow up with are a draining extra income. So good luck to Alabama and other universities on continuing to build these NFL style stadiums.

With the change in location of the pressbox, will the home side change? During Coach Bryant's era the home side was the East side because Coach Bryant didn't want the camera on his backside every game. This was flipped afterwards so that the home side was the pressbox side.

Expect the midfield logo to also flip. It doesn't make sense to have the script A upside down with the new camera locations.

@OldPlayer, I haven't seen anything regarding new camera locations. I'm not sure how, or why, it would be necessary to change their locations just because the press box moves. Heck, most of the press box if filled with the "writing media."

One thing that crosses my mind ... the fiber network put in around BDS and the campus is what, five years old now? Six? I'm thinking 2013 is when that was set up? They may lay new lines but I can't see a reason why. 🤷‍♂️

Will the TV Broadcast guys be on the west side still, or will they move over with the rest of the press writers to the east side?

One thing is for sure, with all the beat writers sitting in the blazing hot sun, during all these day games........they will most assuredly be pissing and moaning about day games in their write ups now, if we have another season like this one.

@OldPlayer, I haven't seen anything regarding new camera locations. I'm not sure how, or why, it would be necessary to change their locations just because the press box moves. Heck, most of the press box if filled with the "writing media."

One thing that crosses my mind ... the fiber network put in around BDS and the campus is what, five years old now? Six? I'm thinking 2013 is when that was set up? They may lay new lines but I can't see a reason why. 🤷‍♂️

If they're replacing the pressbox with suites, there's no place for the broadcast team to sit. What's more, broadcasters on one side and cameras on the other can make it difficult to call the play (the play goes left-to-right on screen but right-to-left to the broadcasters' view).

If they're replacing the pressbox with suites, there's no place for the broadcast team to sit. What's more, broadcasters on one side and cameras on the other can make it difficult to call the play (the play goes left-to-right on screen but right-to-left to the broadcasters' view).
The gameday broadcast crew being moved is a given. That only affects one camera position; theirs.

Interesting thought about L to R, R to L, but I can't recall that being a part of what a color crew has used in TV broadcast. Radio? Yes. I've heard N and S, R and L, used on several occasions.

You may be right. It's not something I've thought about until this morning and your mentioning the thought. It'll make for something extra to watch this weekend.

The gameday broadcast crew being moved is a given. That only affects one camera position; theirs.

Interesting thought about L to R, R to L, but I can't recall that being a part of what a color crew has used in TV broadcast. Radio? Yes. I've heard N and S, R and L, used on several occasions.

You may be right. It's not something I've thought about until this morning and your mentioning the thought. It'll make for something extra to watch this weekend.

How many camera positions are there (not the actual locations, but who besides the broadcaster (ESPN, CBS, ABC) has any TV cameras)?

The good news is that the media will now have that beastly sun in their face for September games.

How many camera positions are there (not the actual locations, but who besides the broadcaster (ESPN, CBS, ABC) has any TV cameras)?

The good news is that the media will now have that beastly sun in their face for September games.
I can't tell you when was the last time I heard the number being brought up although it was fairly recently. I'm fairly certain the number that day was 26. I remember reading about the coverage for the Super Bowl back in 2016 and they were going to use 70 or so for that game. At a minimum we're looking at around a dozen.

A "high" view from midfield and the 20/25 yard lines on both sides. Some stadiums that would be three, in larger venues five. Then we've got end zones (2) and on the field cameras. The number grows quite quickly. A SoCon game recently had five stationary, a couple on the field for a total of seven. It was an ESPN production.

As to the number of "groups," the broadcast crew and UA (game film, etc.) UA's are directly ran into the media studios they build in BDS the year prior to the SECN being launched (same time as some of the original fiber optic cables were installed for the move to HDTV.)

The upgrades, the boost in ticket cost, that is all likely why they decided to do the marquee home and home series. They knew they would need to improve the value of season tickets to keep people hooked.

"They are moving the Forney booth and, if I understood them correctly, they're moving the TV cameras to fit as well." (loosely paraphrased from a convo last night.) When we were talking she had a comment that caught my attention "they're thinking about the optics." My reaction was about the sun but she said it's about the view. In other words the consideration with the move isn't R to L but where the team would be seen during the TV broadcast (top of the screen.)

I don't get the impression it's a firm decision but I didn't press, couldn't. God bless her...she's one of those that makes 85% of the conversation asking about "you and your's."

"They are moving the Forney booth and, if I understood them correctly, they're moving the TV cameras to fit as well." (loosely paraphrased from a convo last night.) When we were talking she had a comment that caught my attention "they're thinking about the optics." My reaction was about the sun but she said it's about the view. In other words the consideration with the move isn't R to L but where the team would be seen during the TV broadcast (top of the screen.)

I don't get the impression it's a firm decision but I didn't press, couldn't. God bless her...she's one of those that makes 85% of the conversation asking about "you and your's."

Similar to Coach Bryant's position of not showing his backside for the whole game. I expect all press (radio, TV, print) to move. Too many logistics to not have everything all together (statistics sharing, press meals, support staff, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom