| FTBL Blitz Packages

• Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date
I

imported_RollTideRandy

Is it just me, or does it seem like we come into every game with one blitz package and then just run that one blitzing scheme over and over again? I know someone vented some frustration with Castille seemingly blitzing on every play in the FSU game. This game it seemed like it was Price Hall blitzing on every play. Both weeks the defense performed better in the first half than the second and I think this played a part in it. When every 3rd down, you either blitz Castille from the left, or Prince Hall from the right, it would seem it’s pretty easy to make the halftime adjustment and keep pressure off the quarterback.

I’m sure the coaches are probably seeing a weakness they are trying to exploit, but I’d like to see us mix up our blitzes a little more.

FWIW, in the last two games, we've blitzed because of the threat of the QB running...makes him get rid of the ball quickly.

We've been burned a few times on those blitz packages...but that's primarily because the defense has moved into the alignment too early and gave it away. I've seen Johnson do it far too often.

TerryP said:
FWIW, in the last two games, we've blitzed because of the threat of the QB running...makes him get rid of the ball quickly.

We've been burned a few times on those blitz packages...but that's primarily because the defense has moved into the alignment too early and gave it away. I've seen Johnson do it far too often.

I thought Johnson was the difference in the game even if he is giving blitzes away. He saved two long receptions.

Does the D have an ability to check off from a blitz?

I ask that because in a three wide set the Houston inside receiver was usually off the line. The QB walked up, checked off and had the outside WR move off and the inside guy move up on the line, a dead giveaway of a slant route. Sometimes we dodged the bullet on it, but not always.

RTR,

Tim

Our blitz packages will get better if the dline gets more dominate. When guys can block guys one on one with minimal help they can see lb's or safeties coming. The more double teams you can force the more uncovered men will make it to the backfield. Dline needs to get better and also it would help if we didnt miss tackles when we got there.

Bones82 said:
TerryP said:

I thought Johnson was the difference in the game even if he is giving blitzes away. He saved two long receptions.

And, has given as many touchdowns away as well. I'm not knocking the kid at all. He just doesn't fit what we need in our defensive backfield and we don't have that many options.

We are rotating 6 right now and when we do we are putting weaker players at key positions.

Do you think that they are only using the guys that the feel the most comfortable when they blitz? For instance, if we are in Nickel, and we need SC covering the pass, then they send the next guy that the trust the most (for example PH) in on the blitz, simply because he is the best blitzer that they have available.

Back
Top Bottom