| FTBL Bill Oliver stirs the pot

BamaGradinTN said:
How many of Shula's studs were taken in the last NFL draft?

End of story.

I think that says a lot. It tells the story of last year's dismal performance, and the fact that Saban could ride in and get us to a bowl game, even in his first year, following the meltdowns of the past several years.

I think that the records of some of the team's at UA over the past 10-12 years don't adequately show just what was going on beneath the surface, 2000 team being the exception.

The biggest contribution made to the current team by Shula recruiting, is on the OL. An argument could easily be made - and won, that Saban recruiting would have resulted in even better OL across the board...and that Caldwell and Smith would be here anyway.

And speaking of the OL....I doubt that they would be looked upon as possibly the best unit in the SEC, if they were being coached down by captain bucket-step.

xCMS's refusal to do anything about our OL coaching is ultimately what cost him his job...the straw that broke the camel's back, anyway.

Putting my 0.02 in. If CMS had stay we still wouldn't be winning games. I think he was allowing the players to do what their wanted to do. CNS told them this year it my way or the highway. And a few took the highway.
Don't get me wrong I have support all the coaches that have been here. CNS has got these guys working on all 8 now.

Yes, Gene Stallings did wi with some of Curry's players, but he and his staff actually made winning players out of guys like Thomas Rhayam and Byron Holdbrooks, and this would never have happened under Curry.

psychojoe said:
Yes, Gene Stallings did wi with some of Curry's players, but he and his staff actually made winning players out of guys like Thomas Rhayam and Byron Holdbrooks, and this would never have happened under Curry.
That in a nut shell is what I'm talking about.

psychojoe said:
I think what ticked off a few folks was that after Alabama won the NC in 1992 Bill Curry said that Stallings won the championship with his players. I think CMS has way more class than that.
Well...Bill Curry should certainly know. Bobby Ross won 1/2 NC with his players at Tech, too! :wink:

Just reinforces that you've gotta coach 'em up when you get 'em!

I tip my hat to Shula and the talent(small that it might of been) that he brought in to Tuscaloosa. I feel like we rode him through our toughest years and I especially thank him for that. It's clear however that Coach Saban is doing more then he ever could or would for that matter. Bill Oliver knows this.

How many freshman and sophomores are seeing regular action on this team? I'm sorry, but the days of thanking Shula are over. This is a Saban team and with a Saban attitude and mentality. Anyone player and/or coach that hasn't bought into the process is now gone.

Shula's daddy needs to learn how to keep his yap shut too. Friggin' has-been.
:evil:

COnsider the source. So says a guy playing golf...making comments about another guy who is the most powerful coach working in a three team race for the national title.

Yeah, I'm sure Shula would have had us right here. ^^sar

Could somebody tell me what relevance BBO has today?

He hasn't coached in double digit years and the last stop as I recall was Barn. That alone is enough to make me question his loyalty and his purpose.

I respected him...mainly his ability to coach defense..(Stallings knew a thing or two about defense as well but took little credit=class)..until he started throwing knives and digging the mine underneath Stallings. Then he climbs on board with $%#@! Barn!!! Give me a break.

It's a free country...for the moment...but when I hear a lot of BAMA fans singing his praises I really deep down wonder if they know what he's all about?

His comments about hugging Shula......?.....After Saban hugs him maybe he should kick him in the azzz and ask him why he didn't make them work out, etc. BTW...I supported Alabama/Shula until late in the game...no, it's not a reference to our 4th qtr performance.. :shock: :lol: ....Shula,he did ok considering and I'll just leave it at that but I don't think anybody owes him a handshake over what's happening now. In fact, I'm sure Coach Saban has worked his azz off getting those "Shula recruits" up to speed or off the team and is confident enough in his "Process" regardless.

To Bill Oliver....."time for honoring ones self will soon come to an end" (Maximus to Commodus)

RT

Big_Fan said:
The biggest contribution made to the current team by Shula recruiting, is on the OL. An argument could easily be made - and won, that Saban recruiting would have resulted in even better OL across the board...and that Caldwell and Smith would be here anyway.

I used to feel the same way about Shula, but I have changed my mind. One could argue that any decent head coach at Alabama could have gotten Smith and Caldwell.

Look at the Rivals top 30 for Alabama for 2009 so far compared to 2006, and you will find a sharp difference. For 2009 so far we have #2, 3, 6, 7, 12, and 13. We probably have an outstanding chance of sweeping 1-7. Auburn has #9, 11, 14, 15, 19, and 21. In 2008 we swept 1-5 and 13 of the top 17. Auburn's highest ranked signee from the state in 2008 was #13.

It is almost the reverse in 2006: Alabama had #1, 4, 5, 9, 17, 18, 19, 23, and 25...and 17 and 19 are no longer with the program. Auburn had 2, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, and 15....eight of the top fifteen where Bama only had four of the top fifteen.

In addition, we regained control of the Mobile area, which we had lost.

I no longer give Shula major props for signing Smith. Any decent coach at Bama after three years should have been able to get him. I look more at the whole body of work recruiting the state.

Shula was merely the fill in to hold the ship together until we found the right Captain. He did an admirable job but he wasn't the savior we were looking for to bring us back. His decisions showed his faults and lack of discipline definitely cost him games. But as stated earlier, several of his recruits would've probably been coming this way anyway regardless of who was coaching the team.

Back
Top Bottom