| FTBL Bill Oliver stirs the pot

G

This caused quite a stir on Finebaum yesterday. They played a radio clip where Bill Oliver said that he told his golfing buddies Sunday that at the end of the season Nick Saban ought to go find mike Shula and hug his neck, because Mike left behind a lot of good football players.

Yes, Mikey did leave behind some good ones. That being said, they are playing much better now than they would have been if Shula and his staff were still on the scene. Coaching and discipline matters.

whats the big deal? It wasnt a slight ot Coach Saban or to the program, he just said that we had a good group of seniors/juniors leading this team that we should thank Coach Shula for bringing in.

Getting blown up way too much in my opinion

I don't see where it would cause a stir, unless someone is trying to minimize Saban's success here. Any coach that turns a team around quickly is using players recruited by his predecessor.

Surviving upper classmen should contribute. Perhaps it's a little less evident at Bama, though. Bama has the second smallest number of scholarship seniors in the nation (behind only MTSU). Several are in key positions, of course (Caldwell, Wilson). This is a Junior heavy squad, so their contributions have been huge (Smith, Coffee, Upchurch, Tiffin, et al). Saban recruits are already playing big roles (Jones, McClain, Cody, Chapman, Dareus, Hightower, Ingram).

As Bum Phillips uniquely put it, if a coach has take his'n and beat your'n, or take your'n and beat his'n, he's a good coach. Coaching matters.

RTR,

Tim

I think what ticked off a few folks was that after Alabama won the NC in 1992 Bill Curry said that Stallings won the championship with his players. I think CMS has way more class than that.

psychojoe said:
I think what ticked off a few folks was that after Alabama won the NC in 1992 Bill Curry said that Stallings won the championship with his players. I think CMS has way more class than that.
YEAH, I do wonder if Daddy Shula will make any remarks.. if something amazing were to happen

One thing I see is when Bama is in a must situation they seem to go to a true freshman a lot. Case in point, Smelly on one 3rd and long. Jones, Hightower, Ingram etc. IF Shula still the coach how many would Bama have of those guys? JPW "everybody cares this year" that show where we were headed with last coaches.

By no means do I wish to diminish the job that our seniors and juniors have done this season, but yall do know that we have more freshmen playing than just about any other team in NCAA Division 1 right?

rammerjammer said:
I think Cecil Hurt came on and made the statement back at Brother Oliver......did he go and hug Bill Curry at UK for leaving him all those talented players on "D" that he won the MNC with?

LOL.

Porter said:
I quit giving a damn about what Oliver had to say when he started earning a pay check from auburn university.
Well, the man was screwed over by Stallings and UA - falsely promised the Head Job at UA on a certain date that never materialized (Stallings reneged on the arrangement when he 'had to get the wins back on his record' the NCAA took away). Was Oliver just supposed to remain in a job where he did not trust his employer and immediate supervisor (with just cause) or simply retire away when he thought he still had a lot to give?

He was given a sweetheart deal by Lowder and The Barn, a deal that made his retirement check from the state increase substantially. I think the result was something like $27,000 a year more than what he would have merited on the day he retired from UA. UA showed him no loyalty, why should he have been expected to do the same - although his frustration was with a few select people and not the 'institution' itself.

I have not heard the actual comment by Coach Oliver, but I really doubt he meant anything subversive toward Saban and staff, only that there are some pretty good players left over from Shula. Did Oliver say or imply that Shula and company could have accomplished the same thing if they were still here? If so, Coach has lost it a little bit.

I would like if Finebaum played the comments by Hurt for Oliver's next visit to the show and ask Coach to compare and contrast Hurt's observation to his own - regardless of whatever meaning Coach may have had. I think I know what Coach would say, but would be interesting to hear his analysis.

alagator said:
Porter said:
I quit giving a damn about what Oliver had to say when he started earning a pay check from auburn university.
Well, the man was screwed over by Stallings and UA - falsely promised the Head Job at UA on a certain date that never materialized (Stallings reneged on the arrangement when he 'had to get the wins back on his record' the NCAA took away). Was Oliver just supposed to remain in a job where he did not trust his employer and immediate supervisor (with just cause) or simply retire away when he thought he still had a lot to give?

He was given a sweetheart deal by Lowder and The Barn, a deal that made his retirement check from the state increase substantially. I think the result was something like $27,000 a year more than what he would have merited on the day he retired from UA. UA showed him no loyalty, why should he have been expected to do the same - although his frustration was with a few select people and not the 'institution' itself.

I have not heard the actual comment by Coach Oliver, but I really doubt he meant anything subversive toward Saban and staff, only that there are some pretty good players left over from Shula. Did Oliver say or imply that Shula and company could have accomplished the same thing if they were still here? If so, Coach has lost it a little bit.

I would like if Finebaum played the comments by Hurt for Oliver's next visit to the show and ask Coach to compare and contrast Hurt's observation to his own - regardless of whatever meaning Coach may have had. I think I know what Coach would say, but would be interesting to hear his analysis.

I hate it for him Gator. We all make choices I suppose.

alagator said:
Porter said:

I have a close friend who has been associated with the Bowdens in years past (now HC at a D-3 school) who says that Oliver led the charge in stabbing Tiny Terry in the back at the barn. I know that friendships color how you feel about things, but he despises everything about Oliver other than his prowess as a defensive coach.

Back
Top Bottom