| FTBL Bill Curry just said......

Bill Curry was running the option with Tim Couch. Who cares what that buffoon thinks
:roll:

and one last jab at Bill

One Moment in Time by Whitney freaking Houston!!! That song fires me up :evil:

F@#$ Bill Curry. I have his autograph on a damn football at my house and the only reason i have not burned that son of a b!@#$ is because it has the whole 89 teams' autographs on there too. :evil: :evil:

Just ran across something on Every Day Should Be Saturday. They were having a look back at the Florida vs. UK games over the years and had a section on the games during Curry's illustrious career with the Wildcats.

The camera angles were extreme and unforgiving during the Bill Curry era, as well. Curry let Spurrier go when he cleared out Pepper Rodgers’ staff out and tossed the budding young genius-baby out with the bathwater. Failing to recognize the obvious radiant halo of football god-dom around him, Curry set the stage for a seven year vengeance play coordinated by the hands of the most vengeful playcaller this side of Genghis Khan.

The ‘93 game was an outlier compared to the rest of Bill Curry’s extremely long and painful lesson in exactly why he should not have tossed Spurrier to the wind at Tech: promising his coaching staff he would “never call the dogs off” against Curry, Spurrier won every game he coached against Curry by an average score of 46-13, including a pair of epic 65-0 and 73-7 games that still burn in our memory as the biggest ***whippings we’ve seen. Toddlers getting pistol-whipped by crack dealers had a fairer fight on their hands than those teams.

I think the only time I really liked Spurrier while he was at Florida was when they played Kentucky. :D

Let's see. Important decisions Curry has made as a HFC:

1 - Fired Steve Spurrier (one of the best offensive minds in CFB) as his OC ;sus

2 - Turned his back on his Alma Mater to coach at a team that hated each other (remember there was a lot of bad blood between Tech and Bama back then) ;sus

3 - Quit Alabama to coach FOOTBALL at UK ;sus

4 - Ran an option defense with Tim Couch as his QB ;sus

Yeah, folks really need to pay attention to this man. He knows his football. :roll:

P.S.

Don't forget he was the last man taken in the draft when he came out of college.

Atlanta_Tider said:
Swamptick said:
Bill Curry is a piece of garbage who never really cared about winning and holds some sort of grudge against Alabama and blasts us every chance he gets.
He never cared about winning? That has been one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :roll:

O'RLY?

"Nobody who is interested in winning leaves Alabama for Kentucky" - Coach Gene Stallings regarding Bill Curry

It seems Coach Stallings would disagree. I suppose you think Coach Stallings is dumb too lol.

Swamptick said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
Swamptick said:
Bill Curry is a piece of garbage who never really cared about winning and holds some sort of grudge against Alabama and blasts us every chance he gets.
He never cared about winning? That has been one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :roll:

O'RLY?

"Nobody who is interested in winning leaves Alabama for Kentucky" - Coach Gene Stallings regarding Bill Curry

It seems Coach Stallings would disagree. I suppose you think Coach Stallings is dumb too lol.
Having known Coach Stallings all of my life, no I think he is a great man. That being said I have known Bill and Carolyn all my life too. Bill won at Alabama, plain and simple. Bill should have never came to Alabama and he knows it. Bill did not win at GT, but he does hold a super bowl ring and was all pro a few years. I guess that means he knows nothing about winning.
Had Curry never coached for GT and not mentioned the brick throwing incident, I don't think the hatred for him would be here today. I think most Alabama fans take it personally that he left UA for Ky and they think that is just a slap in the face because of the " we are Alabama BS mentality"....Hell look at how much some people still talk about Fran, hell Perkins was talked about for years too, thank God the internet was not around then....
I do agree that Bill needs to move on and quit talking about his tenure at Alabama, but I do not agree that he is not a winner.

Atlanta_Tider said:
Swamptick said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
Swamptick said:

O'RLY?

Having known Coach Stallings all of my life, no I think he is a great man. That being said I have known Bill and Carolyn all my life too. Bill won at Alabama, plain and simple. Bill should have never came to Alabama and he knows it. Bill did not win at GT, but he does hold a super bowl ring and was all pro a few years. I guess that means he knows nothing about winning.
Had Curry never coached for GT and not mentioned the brick throwing incident, I don't think the hatred for him would be here today. I think most Alabama fans take it personally that he left UA for Ky and they think that is just a slap in the face because of the " we are Alabama BS mentality"....Hell look at how much some people still talk about Fran, hell Perkins was talked about for years too, thank God the internet was not around then....
I do agree that Bill needs to move on and quit talking about his tenure at Alabama, but I do not agree that he is not a winner.

Good points, JJ.

exCBC may not have been able to beat Auburn, but he sure could get the most out of his team against Tennessee. And that's all I'm worry about right now--beating Tennessee!

RTR!

steelmagnolia said:
would we have our last national championship if not for curry?

Well, Coach Stallings did figure into the mix, but I do understand your point and have never forgotten that Curry's recruits laid the foundation for the successful '92 season.

I really do not understand all the animosity that is still directed toward exCoach Curry.

Except for the winless record against Auburn and the Ole Miss debacle, he held his own as Bama's head coach. Of course, I know nothing about the politics behind the scene, which probably factored into what transpired in the end.

Still, the following might refresh some memories on things that occurred during Curry's tenure. I know this is not coming from a reliable source, Wikipedia, but most of these facts, I believe, can be verified:

Prior to his first head coaching assignment, Curry spent three seasons in the NFL (1977-79) as an assistant with the Green Bay Packers.

Curry returned to Georgia Tech in 1980 as its head football Coach. While it has been reported his first head coaching decision was to dismiss the quarterbacks coach, Steve Spurrier, this is not true. Curry said, “I never fired Steve,” he said. “(Georgia Tech) fired the (Pepper Rodgers) staff before I got there. Then while I was deliberating who from that staff to retain, Steve took the Duke (assistant’s) job.” During his tenure at Georgia Tech, Curry led his team to a 9-2-1 record in 1985 and a win in the All-American Bowl. For his efforts, Bill Curry was named the ACC Coach of the Year in 1985 by the Associated Press and the ACC Sports Writers. Curry posted an overall 34-43-4 record over seven years at his alma mater, including winning seasons in 1982 (6-5), 1984 (6-4-1) and 1985. In 1985, he suspended seven starting players on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets team that played in the Hall of Fame Bowl when they broke curfew.

Bill Curry then accepted a job as head coach at the University of Alabama. Curry posted a record of 26-10, including one SEC Championship, and three bowl appearances during his three-year tenure. In September 1988, he refused to fly his Alabama team to play Texas A&M because of fears that Hurricane Gilbert would harm his players. The hurricane never reached College Station, Texas, and Jackie Sherrill gave the media an earful as he claimed Curry didn't come because his quarterback was injured. The game was rescheduled for December 1, 1988, and Alabama routed A & M, 30-10. He also suspended Alabama quarterback Jeff Dunn for breaking team rules prior to the 1988 Sun Bowl against Army.

After posting a 10-1 regular season record, his 1989 Crimson Tide squad shared the Southeastern Conference title with Auburn and Tennessee, and earned the berth in the 1990 USF&G Sugar Bowl, where they lost to the University of Miami. As a result the 1989 season, Bill Curry was honored as the SEC Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. He was also the recipient of the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award. Curry's three-year record of 26-10-0 gave him the highest winning percentage among Alabama coaches since Bear Bryant. However, Curry had an 0-3 record against Alabama's arch-rival Auburn University, and never once beat the Tigers in the twelve games he coached against them over his career. Perhaps his best-remembered on-field act with Alabama came during the 1990 Sugar Bowl when he castigated receiver Prince Wimbley for celebrating a first down against Miami with a dance. Curry lectured Wimbley and when Wimbley turned away, Curry grabbed Wimbley's face mask and brought him into eye-to-eye contact.

After receiving a new contract offer from Alabama in early 1990 which contained clauses he disliked (no raise and removal of the power to hire and fire assistants), Curry resigned and accepted a job as the head football coach at the University of Kentucky. In 1993, Curry's Wildcat squad posted a 6-5 regular season record and earned a spot in the Peach Bowl, which was Kentucky's first bowl game in nine years. The Wildcats lost that game to Clemson, 14-13.

bear facts said:
steelmagnolia said:
would we have our last national championship if not for curry?

Well, Coach Stallings did figure into the mix, but I do understand your point and have never forgotten that Curry's recruits laid the foundation for the successful '92 season.

I really do not understand all the animosity that is still directed toward exCoach Curry.

Except for the winless record against Auburn and the Ole Miss debacle, he held his own as Bama's head coach. Of course, I know nothing about the politics behind the scene, which probably factored into what transpired in the end.

Still, the following might refresh some memories on things that occurred during Curry's tenure. I know this is not coming from a reliable source, Wikipedia, but most of these facts, I believe, can be verified:

Prior to his first head coaching assignment, Curry spent three seasons in the NFL (1977-79) as an assistant with the Green Bay Packers.

Curry returned to Georgia Tech in 1980 as its head football Coach. While it has been reported his first head coaching decision was to dismiss the quarterbacks coach, Steve Spurrier, this is not true. Curry said, “I never fired Steve,” he said. “(Georgia Tech) fired the (Pepper Rodgers) staff before I got there. Then while I was deliberating who from that staff to retain, Steve took the Duke (assistant’s) job.” During his tenure at Georgia Tech, Curry led his team to a 9-2-1 record in 1985 and a win in the All-American Bowl. For his efforts, Bill Curry was named the ACC Coach of the Year in 1985 by the Associated Press and the ACC Sports Writers. Curry posted an overall 34-43-4 record over seven years at his alma mater, including winning seasons in 1982 (6-5), 1984 (6-4-1) and 1985. In 1985, he suspended seven starting players on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets team that played in the Hall of Fame Bowl when they broke curfew.

Bill Curry then accepted a job as head coach at the University of Alabama. Curry posted a record of 26-10, including one SEC Championship, and three bowl appearances during his three-year tenure. In September 1988, he refused to fly his Alabama team to play Texas A&M because of fears that Hurricane Gilbert would harm his players. The hurricane never reached College Station, Texas, and Jackie Sherrill gave the media an earful as he claimed Curry didn't come because his quarterback was injured. The game was rescheduled for December 1, 1988, and Alabama routed A & M, 30-10. He also suspended Alabama quarterback Jeff Dunn for breaking team rules prior to the 1988 Sun Bowl against Army.

After posting a 10-1 regular season record, his 1989 Crimson Tide squad shared the Southeastern Conference title with Auburn and Tennessee, and earned the berth in the 1990 USF&G Sugar Bowl, where they lost to the University of Miami. As a result the 1989 season, Bill Curry was honored as the SEC Coach of the Year by the Associated Press. He was also the recipient of the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award. Curry's three-year record of 26-10-0 gave him the highest winning percentage among Alabama coaches since Bear Bryant. However, Curry had an 0-3 record against Alabama's arch-rival Auburn University, and never once beat the Tigers in the twelve games he coached against them over his career. Perhaps his best-remembered on-field act with Alabama came during the 1990 Sugar Bowl when he castigated receiver Prince Wimbley for celebrating a first down against Miami with a dance. Curry lectured Wimbley and when Wimbley turned away, Curry grabbed Wimbley's face mask and brought him into eye-to-eye contact.

After receiving a new contract offer from Alabama in early 1990 which contained clauses he disliked (no raise and removal of the power to hire and fire assistants), Curry resigned and accepted a job as the head football coach at the University of Kentucky. In 1993, Curry's Wildcat squad posted a 6-5 regular season record and earned a spot in the Peach Bowl, which was Kentucky's first bowl game in nine years. The Wildcats lost that game to Clemson, 14-13.
Facts you have posted alot of facts that most people do not know about Curry. He was a stickler for discipline on the field and in the classroom, he graduated players. Never did he fire Spurrier, the whole Pepper Rogers staff was booted from Tech, most do not know but I was raised in a GT/Bama household, Dad went to Tech, Moms side of the family are the Fosters, Foster Auditoreum, President Foster, ETC. My dads hatred towards Bama ALL my life made me respect GT and Bama alike. He was pissed when Curry left for Bama, knew Curry would do good there but knew he would not like it. My grandfather who wa a huge booster back in the day and good friends with Coach Bryant and friends, was furious that Curry came to Bama. After 1 season he calmed down, met him a few times with my father and was pissed when he left Bama! Curry did have UT's number and like Facts said, I want to be the winners in that rival again!

Is said this in an earlier post. Curry was run out of town for losing to AU and losing to Miami for the National Championship. By only 8 points, I might add. Would we run Saban out of town in 2 years if he lost to AU and lost a close one to "da U" for the whole enchilada? I doubt it. Take it easy on Curry. Sure, he's obviously a shade bitter, but who blames him? He's a good man, and gave me plenty of good memories. 47-17 for one. Roll Tide!!

Back
Top Bottom