| FTBL Bill Curry just said......

I really respect yall's opinion, but I have to disagree here. After he left, I remember getting up every morning for about a month and telling Rolltiderandy how glad I was that he wasn't our coach. That being said, when he was "run off", and trust me he was run off, that was the first time we got the label of being delusional and can't keep a coach and so forth and so on... A lot of what we are hearing now on ESPN, articles, internet polls etc were exactly the same thing that was said. I think Curry has a lot of influence over that stuff still being said today.

bamaupsman said:
Is said this in an earlier post. Curry was run out of town for losing to AU and losing to Miami for the National Championship. By only 8 points, I might add. Would we run Saban out of town in 2 years if he lost to AU and lost a close one to "da U" for the whole enchilada? I doubt it. Take it easy on Curry. Sure, he's obviously a shade bitter, but who blames him? He's a good man, and gave me plenty of good memories. 47-17 for one. Roll Tide!!

There is no comparing Curry to Nick Saban. Curry was not a good coach. He "focused" himself right out of a job. His "bend but don't break" philosophy of defense drove every Bama fan I knew to the crazy house. I remember the mood in Tuscaloosa was shear and utter exctasy when he left. Where he was really lacking was in motivation. Lenny mentioned the "One moment in time" debacle. Roger Shultz told the story that right before the 1989 Iron Bowl that Curry play that song to motivate the team. Ru kidding me? He had some great teams, but they won in spite of coaching and if he helped us win a National Championship in 92 by recruiting well, then he also costed us one in 1989 by coaching like Houston Nutt.

bamaupsman said:
Is said this in an earlier post. Curry was run out of town for losing to AU and losing to Miami for the National Championship. By only 8 points, I might add. Would we run Saban out of town in 2 years if he lost to AU and lost a close one to "da U" for the whole enchilada? I doubt it. Take it easy on Curry. Sure, he's obviously a shade bitter, but who blames him? He's a good man, and gave me plenty of good memories. 47-17 for one. Roll Tide!!

I thought you were a bit nutty in your liking of Shula.........now Curry too :shock: :oops:

I don't understand the hostility that some fans have for Curry and some of our other past coaches. But, it does make my skin crawl a little to hear it. Everyone has a right to their opinions, but I subscribe to the Reagan-esque "Thou shalt not talk bad about another Bama fan/coach" philosophy.

Curry was obviously a winner at Alabama. The fact that he wasn't able to beat Auburn - during a decade that was probably Auburn's finest in their history - that one "failure" got under the skin of a lot of our fans. If hind-sight is 20/20 (or 50/50 according to Pat Dye), then it's easier to see now how that type of "run them out of town" mentality has been a major contributor to our recent coaching debacles.

The Bama Nation is a family. Curry was the leader of our family at one time. Some of us sometimes say/do things that irritate, and I'm sure Bill Curry is no exception. But, as in our own families, it would be nice if we could all lean towards forgiveness rather than venomous hostility.

Atlanta_Tider said:
Swamptick said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
Swamptick said:
Bill Curry is a piece of garbage who never really cared about winning and holds some sort of grudge against Alabama and blasts us every chance he gets.
He never cared about winning? That has been one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :roll:

O'RLY?

"Nobody who is interested in winning leaves Alabama for Kentucky" - Coach Gene Stallings regarding Bill Curry

It seems Coach Stallings would disagree. I suppose you think Coach Stallings is dumb too lol.
Having known Coach Stallings all of my life, no I think he is a great man. That being said I have known Bill and Carolyn all my life too. Bill won at Alabama, plain and simple. Bill should have never came to Alabama and he knows it. Bill did not win at GT, but he does hold a super bowl ring and was all pro a few years. I guess that means he knows nothing about winning.
Had Curry never coached for GT and not mentioned the brick throwing incident, I don't think the hatred for him would be here today. I think most Alabama fans take it personally that he left UA for Ky and they think that is just a slap in the face because of the " we are Alabama BS mentality"....Hell look at how much some people still talk about Fran, hell Perkins was talked about for years too, thank God the internet was not around then....
I do agree that Bill needs to move on and quit talking about his tenure at Alabama, but I do not agree that he is not a winner.

I certainly did not mean to upset anyone with my comments. I do know that Bill Curry was a winner to some degree at Alabama and we would LOVE to have the records that he brought here. He could NOT beat Auburn and that hurt him. I don't doubt that Bill Curry is a good person but his continuing hatred for Alabama only mirrors our continuing dislike of him.

He left us. He was not tough enough to handle our ravid fanbase and I am not saying that makes him any less of a winner. But like Coach Stallings said, why would he go to Kentucky (esp then...this KY team this year is different)? He went to Kentucky because he could not handle Alabama. He did not win at Kentucky.

I think he is a decent guy. He did make our team behave with class. I am simply stating that he could not handle Alabama football despite his winning record. You have to beat the cow college. We all know that. WE DID NOT RUN HIM OFF. He ran off on us for a basketball college. Coach Bryant left that same basketball college and wound up at Alabama....where he beat Auburn alot.

steelmagnolia said:
would we have our last national championship if not for curry?

I dont think so. Stallings took 3 years to get those recruits and his players. He had several years of HIS players and HIS system in place by 92. Besides if Curry could have gotten the job done he would have.

Atlanta_Tider said:
I do agree that Bill needs to move on and quit talking about his tenure at Alabama, but I do not agree that he is not a winner.

Are you talking about the same Bill Curry that had Tim Couch running the bone? They gained over 200 points on offense just by firing Curry and improving their coaching by hiring a BAD coach in Hal Mumme.

If you know Curry, then I am sure you know the truth about the brick...that it was thrown out and not in. I am sure you know about the three players who were in his office at the time and what they were fighting about...and the real reason he left...There are some of us who do know of these things.

ColoradoTide said:
Big_Fan said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
If you know Curry, then I am sure you know the truth about the brick...that it was thrown out and not in. I am sure you know about the three players who were in his office at the time and what they were fighting about...and the real reason he left...There are some of us who do know of these things.

Do tell....?

I cannot get into specifics because I know a couple of the people involved. I will say this as a the only token of proof that I can offer...Why would he have had a brick in his office? if you go into Bill Curry house in Tuscaloosa, it has an open floorplan. You will notice as you walk in that the floors are hardwood in the living area and to the right as you enter, the kitchen floor is brick. When you are getting brick work done, you always get samples.

Outlaw said:
Bama Bo said:
P.S.

Don't forget he was the last man taken in the draft when he came out of college.

Is that a knock on him?

If so, do you also dislike R squared?

I'm not dissing him for being the last man taken in the draft. HE brings it up himself in like 75% of the interviews he does.

While he was coach, I didn't have that much problem with him. I thought Alabama could have done better, but I thought he was a fairly good coach. My problem with Curry comes from his BS after he left. His all but constant trashing of Alabama.

Bama Bo said:
Outlaw said:
Bama Bo said:
P.S.

Don't forget he was the last man taken in the draft when he came out of college.

Is that a knock on him?

I'm not dissing him for being the last man taken in the draft. HE brings it up himself in like 75% of the interviews he does.

While he was coach, I didn't have that much problem with him. I thought Alabama could have done better, but I thought he was a fairly good coach. My problem with Curry comes from his BS after he left. His all but constant trashing of Alabama.

I think the reason Curry bashes Bama is an attempt to justify his leaving - to himself. His exit was not what most believe. Much like Fran's inner torment since leaving, Curry has his own demons.

Big_Fan said:
Bama Bo said:
Outlaw said:
Bama Bo said:
P.S.

Is that a knock on him?

I think the reason Curry bashes Bama is an attempt to justify his leaving - to himself. His exit was not what most believe. Much like Fran's inner torment since leaving, Curry has his own demons.
This is not a far fetched thought, I agree on that.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
bamaupsman said:

I thought you were a bit nutty in your liking of Shula.........now Curry too :shock: :oops:

Hey, I liked "Ears" too!

My opinion about Curry...

He's the Jimmy Carter of college football. Utterly incompetent when he was on the job, but self-righteously pontificates about all that's wrong with college football (including Saban's 4 mil) whenever someone sticks a microphone in front of him.

I don't dislike him because he was from Georgia Tech. I don't dislike him because he couldn't beat Auburn. I thoroughly despise him because of his self-rightheous, holier-than-thou attitude.

Second hand info here, but one of my best friends is a close relative of QB Gary Hollingsworth, who accoprding to him used to say that none of the players had any respect for Curry.

Here's how bad a coach he was: At Kentucky all he had to do was put together an occasional 6-5 or 7-4 year. When you are such a bad coach that a classy, prince of a man like C.M. Newton has to fire you, that's pretty bad.

BTW...Bamaupsman, what on earth are you talking about? Lose one to "da U" for the "whole enchilada? We would not have won the NC if we had won the game. We were ranked 7th going into the Sugar bowl with Miami. Seriously, do you think the pollsters would have jumped us all the way to #1 if we had beaten Miami? Surely you don't actually think that, do you?

Back
Top Bottom