| FTBL Big Game Bob?

I

imported_porkchop

Not Robert Horry, but Bob Stoops. And not for the same reasons either.

When was the last time Stoops' team has performed well in a big game? I'm sure they've had some good ones, but all I can seem to recall are all of these BCS blowouts and losses to underdogs.

Thoughts?

porkchop said:
Not Robert Horry, but Bob Stoops. And not for the same reasons either.

When was the last time Stoops' team has performed well in a big game? I'm sure they've had some good ones, but all I can seem to recall are all of these BCS blowouts and losses to underdogs.

Thoughts?
Not sure if they ever have.

I find it very interesting that we don't see a very good defense out of OU when that is Stoops strong point.

Fact is, we don't see a very good defense in the Big 12. It's gone to virtually an offensive league the last 4-5 years and Stoops and company haven't been able to win those games.

He needs to get back to his roots.

TerryP said:
I find it very interesting that we don't see a very good defense out of OU when that is Stoops strong point.

Fact is, we don't see a very good defense in the Big 12. It's gone to virtually an offensive league the last 4-5 years and Stoops and company haven't been able to win those games.

He needs to get back to his roots.

Saw someone else say the same things. The Big XII defenses don't appear to be there any more and when Stoops had his most success was when Oklahoma was playing stoudt defense. He needs to get that mentality back.

I would think that if Texas put up those points on OU, than Missou will duplicate or extend it....Maybe Ou has a couple losses in them this season with what that Defense showed today!!

EABAMA said:
I would think that if Texas put up those points on OU, than Missou will duplicate or extend it....Maybe Ou has a couple losses in them this season with what that Defense showed today!!

Missouri won't play OU unless it is in the Big 12 championship game. They do play Texas next week though.

Porter said:
EABAMA said:

Missouri won't play OU unless it is in the conference championship game. They do play Texas next week though.

Tx will have to lose 2 for that to happen as well...

just an observation --- what I don't understand is why several of the admins/mods posting on this thread picked OU to win...

TX has been playing good football all year and OU is just like they have been the past 6-8 years "overrated" (this is my opinion of course).

most everyone in the nation jumped on the OU bandwagon just like they did with USC, Georgia at the beginning. i hope they never jump on the bama bandwagon to be honest.

TerryP said:
Porter said:
EABAMA said:

Missouri won't play OU unless it is in the conference championship game. They do play Texas next week though.

I don't know about you, but I think BAMA, LSU, or UGA rolls up 200-250 yards on the ground against any of them (Texas, OU, or Missouri).

Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
EABAMA said:

I don't know about you, but I think BAMA, LSU, or UGA rolls up 200-250 yards on the ground against any of them (Texas, OU, or Missouri).

I was honestly shocked at seeing some of the lack of fundamentals displayed by the Tx defense today. One thought that crossed my mind several times was "if our WR had the ball he would have another 10-15 yards" because of the lack of wrapping up on tackles."

I very much believe they wouldn't be putting that many points on the board...

planomateo said:
just an observation --- what I don't understand is why several of the admins/mods posting on this thread picked OU to win...
TX has been playing good football all year and OU is just like they have been the past 6-8 years "overrated" (this is my opinion of course).

most everyone in the nation jumped on the OU bandwagon just like they did with USC, Georgia at the beginning. i hope they never jump on the bama bandwagon to be honest.

It's hard to pick upsets off gut feeling. While I personally thought the game would be close either way I just felt like OU had the better team and were more talented. I still feel like they have the better team and are more talented. OU hasn't played world beaters but Texas has played absolutely no one going into this game.

So when making the pick I just went with the conservative approach. OU=better talent. OU=better team (it appeared). OU=higher ranked and OU=slightly tougher schedule.

Again, it's hard to pick an upset off a gut feeling and while Oklahoma has a history of this type thing, no one knows when they'll go all Bizarro Sooner in a game. They've played well at times and blown big games at times. While I knew it was a possibility they could blow this one I had no way of knowing which OU team would show, so I went with the most logical pick.

Kudos to Texas though. I'm glad they won.

planomateo said:

I picked OU to win because I thought OU was the better football team. I was also told by someone who has seen (and scouted) Texas in person this year that the Longhorns would not match-up well at all against OU and would have trouble on defense and would be one dimensional on offense. Turns out, UT was able to run the football fairly well today, something I didn't think was possible (out of them) against that Sooners team. On the flip side, the Sooners were the one that were forced to do everything through the air because they couldn't get squat on the ground. And while they did well through the air against a lackluster UT pass defense, it wasn't enough.

Last but not least, I've ALWAYS sucked at picking games. If I was any good at it, I'd be writing articles with my picks and making money in Vegas. As it is, my success percentage is right around Corso level.

Porter said:
planomateo said:

I picked OU to win because I thought OU was the better football team. I was also told by someone who has seen (and scouted) Texas in person this year that the Longhorns would not match-up well at all against OU and would have trouble on defense and would be one dimensional on offense. Turns out, UT was able to run the football fairly well today, something I didn't think was possible (out of them) against that Sooners team. On the flip side, the Sooners were the one that were forced to do everything through the air because they couldn't get squat on the ground. And while they did well through the air against a lackluster UT pass defense, it wasn't enough.

Last but not least, I've ALWAYS sucked at picking games. If I was any good at it, I'd be writing articles with my picks and making money in Vegas. As it is, my success percentage is right around Corso level.

Plus,I have seen Mack Brown blow many of these Red River Shootuts.

I think most people had the Sooners because of their offense. They've been called the best offense in the country. Maybe so but Texas clearly had their number today. Texas and their D put OU in its place. I hate it only because of Muschamp.

I hope he never makes his way to the SEC. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom