| FTBL Between a rock and a hard place?

Is Bama between a rock and a hard place, because of the muddled QB situation?

• Guillon has gotten no reps in 2 weeks, thus hurting the team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guillon is was still the better choice

• Spencer plays smart, Guillon is a gunslinger

• Hudson injury hurts the most

• Balance is the key. and Bama doesn't have it right now

• Total voters
Spencer CAN beat UT with the current game plan.

The problem is, Spencer has to EXECUTE that game plan. Shula can't go in there and throw the passes for him. I expect to see playaction mixed in with minimal shotgun this weekend... nothing exciting from Spencer, but a gameplan we can win with.

What plan do you put in for Spencer? I sure hope Shula is playing possum here man, because so far, Spencer has not shown the ability to beat anyone, or for that matter, to make many plays at all. A lot of it is the play-calling too I admit. One question to thiunk about is, is the play calling an indication of Pennington's talent level, or just protecting a young QB? To have a chance this week, we have to open it up some.

I'm probably in the monority here, but I still beleive that Guillon showed a lot more polish and poise that Spencer, when given the chance. Guillon moved the team against USC, while Spencer has done very little against UK and Southern Miss. Yeah Guillon made two crucial mistakes against USC but Pennington threw an INT as well, in only 10 plays of action. So the law of averages is in Guillon's favor in my opinion.

If nothing else, he (Guillon) showed the ability to get the ball to the play-makers on a more consistant basis.

I think Spencer needs a very very good week of practice with a more "wide open" offense for us to win on Saturday.

I don't see us having much of a chance in our current offense. Not to be a "doom and gloomer" but UT is tougher than that.

look, if we come out and play smash mouth with ut, it will open things up for us, in the run and pass. ut has shown time and again that if you kick them in the teeth early, they wither. (auburn this year, uga last year and bama in '02) we do that and we can win. Oh yeah NO PENALTIES!!!

I belive Guillon is a better QB . I do agree chopper . There is some thing going on that I can't pinpoint . I don't know if it's Shula or Guillon . He's been the clear leader through all of the spring and fall then into the season . He makes some bad mistakes and boom He's not on the field for two games ? Stange . I tell ya guys somethings up ! I don't think he is a great QB but he does seem to be a more gifted player than Spencer .

Amazing how pretty much everyone is just devided down the middle on this one.

On one hand, Spencer can succeed with Bama running it 40 times against UT.

On the other, it's a complete joke to expect Spencer to succeed while Bama runs it 40 times against UT.

Something has to give this Saturday.

It is a tough situation to be in, Spence tried to air it up a few times on Saturday, some bricks were thrown, a few were caught. IF we can force a few turnovers on the D side and convert, maybe get a small lead, then the running game can do its job. But if we fall behind by more than 14 early, its hard to throw the ball downfield right now for the Tide. Starting a backup QB with freshmen receivers is a tought task no matter who is coaching. Spence and Guillon both knew the playbooks from spring practice, its just a matter of practice execution versus gameday execution.

some bricks were thrown

One house per person please! lol!! :lol:

Look, I know I am going be labeled a "Spencer Hater" or something similar, but nothing is further from the truth.

I'm proud to say that Spencer is from my backyard. Yeah he finished at Fayette County, but Spencer is from Lamar County. Vernon, Lamar County High School to be exact. He transferred to Fayette to get some publicity and a chance to go to a major school. ironically, I played against his brother in high school who was recruited from LCHS and went to Bama as a lineman. I guess you can recruite linemen from small schools, but not QB's as the talent level might be judged "inadequite" or something?

The fact is, I see Spencer and Guillon side by side, and my vision of a quarterback is Mark Guillon. Not Spencer. Guillon is more polished and can make the throws that Spencer can't (atleast at this point).

I like Spencer but something has to give this week. Bama will not win if he plays like he did the last couple of weeks. We have to air it out some.

Hey chop, here is your new Avatar!

playerhater01.jpg

I heard an interview of CMS with Slimebaum earlier this week and he said Guillon has been experiencing a "piercing" pain in his back. Do we even know if Guillon could go if called upon?

Tideboy said:
I heard an interview of CMS with Slimebaum earlier this week and he said Guillon has been experiencing a "piercing" pain in his back. Do we even know if Guillon could go if called upon?
Rumor has it that he is "probable" to be ok by Saturday...Also that a few of the young guys are getting reps in practice :oops:

Tideboy said:

I can tell you this... He didn't practice today. It don't look good. CMS will say that "he can go" but I think that is more smoke than anything else. He would play if needed, but he sure as hell wouldn't be 100%. Look for the Vols to tee off on Spencer and try to take him out of the game... at all costs.

Porterhouse said:
I can tell you this... He didn't practice today. It don't look good. CMS will say that "he can go" but I think that is more smoke than anything else. He would play if needed, but he sure as hell wouldn't be 100%. Look for the Vols to tee off on Spencer and try to take him out of the game... at all costs.

Holy smokes! :shock: That would leave us with who....Adam Thrash?

Porterhouse said:
Tideboy said:

He is a marked man and the OL is going to have to work their asses off once again....I guess Thrash would be the next one up.

I saw Adam Thrash play in the Arkansas HS All Stars, and unless CMS and Rader have pulled off some major miracle, he would be relugated to just handing off to Darby and Castille, should he see action against UT.

He will be good in time, but he's mighty green right now.

Tideboy said:
I saw Adam Thrash play in the Arkansas HS All Stars, and unless CMS and Rader have pulled off some major miracle, he would be relugated to just handing off to Darby and Castille, should he see action against UT.

He will be good in time, but he's mighty green right now.

Lets just pray that Spencer don't get hurt. :?

In other injury news...

Juwan Garth is probable
Justin Britt is questionable
Eric Gray is questionable
Travis Robinson is out (likely for season)

I'm gonna gripe about coaching again so just get ready (hey, it's who I am, it's what I do!)

First, let's not cross that injury bridge until we have to and if it does come to that, do we really need a QB when we run the ball 95% of the time?

Spencer can't beat UT with the current game plan PERIOD! I'm not sure what happened to Spense. He look great throwing the ball in last year's UGA game and I had all the confidence in the world in him coming into this season. He must have just been IN THE ZONE before leaving the UGA game I guess.

But the bottom line is this, we have won the last two games by stacking the line to stop the run and then forcing poor passing teams to throw the ball. You don't think that is exactly what UT will do against us? We have to have somebody who can complete a pass to win the game. That's all there is to it. (Unless of course, it's like that UT-Florida game last year where UT fumbled 5 snaps). We won't win 3-0. In case you haven't noticed, we've been leaving guys wide open all year. We haven't got the pressure on the QB we should have and we aren't sticking receivers. The last two QBs we faced just couldn't get the ball to their receivers.

Ainge will be a totally different story. He's been on fire this year and UT will score some points, so we have to keep up. Like I stated earlier, if we are going to score, we have to complete passes and throws like the lame duck Spencer threw to Protho last week leave me to believe, he won't complete enough.

Here's where I complain about the coaching. I fear Spencer's problem may all be a matter of confidence. If you were in the upperdeck on Saturday, you know on that one 4th and 4 play, Protho was WIDE OPEN in the end zone and Spense just didn't throw it cause he was afraid he couldn't complete a 40 yard pass. He was waiting for the triple covered E. Knight to get open and finally got sacked. Again, I think this goes right back to our coaches. They left him in to throw one pick right after another against USC. Then they refused to let him throw it against UK or USM further zapping his confidence. I know we won the last two games running the ball, but if we wanted to have a prayer against UT, we should have been throwing the ball all over the field against UK and USM. Let Spense get some momentum going and let him build some confidence. :?

RollTideRandy said:
I'm not sure what happened to Spense. He look great throwing the ball in last year's UGA game and I had all the confidence in the world in him coming into this season. He must have just been IN THE ZONE before leaving the UGA game I guess.

Spencer's throwing shoulder was severely dislocated in the UGA game, and I believe it required surgery and a pin. I'm no doctor, but I believe after surgeries like that the best one can hope for is 75% recovery of strength and mobility.

Back
Top Bottom