Best Catchers of All Time

Who do you think the best MLB catchers of all time would be?

I'll start off with Johnny Bench

I agree with Bench. Pudge Rodriguez is a lock for the HOF and had better numbers than most catchers in the Hall. I think one of the best defensive catchers of all time was Jim Sundberg, but he didn't hit well. The position is so physically demanding I don't know why any of them hit well for long.

Johnny Bench is my all time favorite, but there is a very good'un in Detroit right now. I can't exactly remember where he played college ball though.Oh yeah, BAMA!
Alex Avila

....Gary Carter, Sandy Alomar Jr., my boy....Jason Varitek

10041218604_38ddfa75e3_z.jpg

A case could be made for Bench and Pudge Rodriguez. My all time favorite: Thurman Munson.

Chief, I loved to watch Munson catch as well. He was a very good catcher who had his life cut short by a tragic plane crash for the younger folks.

Gene Tenace played high school ball at Lucasville Valley in southern mid-Ohio. He sure put on a show in the World Series with Oakland, belting 4 homers. The area has also produced, Don Gullet, Al Oliver and Larry Hisle to name a few. Gene Bennett, the former long time head scout for the Reds lives just down the road.

Back
Top Bottom