| FTBL BAMA's 3-4 defense isn't complicated

G

Guest

Not to make this too complicated :wink: , but I'm assuming a 3-4 means 3 guys down on the line for the snap and 4 LB's right behind the line. So, we're pretty solid @ end with Gilberry and Greenwood but weak @ NT with the loss of Motley???

So, with the lack of depth or experience at NT does that mean Saban's approach/scheme has to change a bit or will one LB essentially be the immediate stop behind the NT???
 

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
BamaDelta said:
Not to make this too complicated :wink: , but I'm assuming a 3-4 means 3 guys down on the line for the snap and 4 LB's right behind the line. So, we're pretty solid @ end with Gilberry and Greenwood but weak @ NT with the loss of Motley???

So, with the lack of depth or experience at NT does that mean Saban's approach/scheme has to change a bit or will one LB essentially be the immediate stop behind the NT???

It'll look like a 4-3 as much as it will a 3-4. The outside LB's will line up on the line, probably in a 3 pt. stance, often.

To be specific, the question was "is the defense too complicated." IF you saw the size of the playbook, 37, you might be reminded of the ole' family Bible on your grandmother's coffee table.
 
G

Guest

TerryP said:
It'll look like a 4-3 as much as it will a 3-4. The outside LB's will line up on the line, probably in a 3 pt. stance, often.

Gotcha. So, a 3-4 doesn't necessarily dictate the number of guys on the line on any given play.

Not to further complicate, but when we're recruiting DT's does that basically mean we're recruiting for the entire D-line? What is really the difference between a NT and End? And what ever happened to Nose Guard (or is everyone's terminology just a little different?)?
 

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
BamaDelta said:
TerryP said:
It'll look like a 4-3 as much as it will a 3-4. The outside LB's will line up on the line, probably in a 3 pt. stance, often.

Gotcha. So, a 3-4 doesn't necessarily dictate the number of guys on the line on any given play.

Not to further complicate, but when we're recruiting DT's does that basically mean we're recruiting for the entire D-line? What is really the difference between a NT and End? And what ever happened to Nose Guard (or is everyone's terminology just a little different?)?

We actually use a NG in our scheme. But, considering the lack of high school teams that play a 3-4, you see recruits being called DT's instead of NG's.

Technically, a true 3-4 does have 3 on the line. Saban uses what's known as an over/under 3-4 scheme which deals with where the NG lines up, whether you see one or the other outside linebackers on the line...a lot of variety's.

Your nose guard is normally known for size. While, on the other hand, the DE's are known for their pursuit/rushing ability...loosely translated= speed.

The biggest difference you'll see from Kines to Steele/Saban is Kines wanted to push the play to the outside, Saban, contain it between the hash marks.

Bottom line is this...

You'll see what you think is the same formation on defense, but a multitude of different plays coming from that formation. I suspect, well...we'll see the same thing on offense.
 

BigAl

Verified Member
Century Club
So with all this being said would you say that we are running a 3-4 this year because Saban dont think we have the depth to run the 4-3? Do you think Saban will continue to run the 3-4 even when we get more depth?
 

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
BigAl said:
So with all this being said would you say that we are running a 3-4 this year because Saban dont think we have the depth to run the 4-3? Do you think Saban will continue to run the 3-4 even when we get more depth?

I believe we'll see the 3-4 as long as Saban is here.
 
Top Bottom