| FTBL Back from Starkville... a couple of random thoughts before bed...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
I figured Bama would win something like 45-6. I also thought perhaps the Tide might come out flat and still hungover from the LSU game... but even then they'd pull away and dominate the 2nd half. Give MSU credit, especially their defense. We didn't make them quit. Not that time. They were over matched, and we'd beat them 10 out of 10 times, but they didn't fold up like Arky and Tenn and some other teams have. They were still trying to make plays.

Going undefeated in the SEC is damn hard. There is a reason why UF has never done it. I don't care what year it is or what your schedule is, if you are in the SEC, and you run the table, you've done something special.

The blown INT call. The question I have isn't, Was the defender in bounds? My question is, Was the review official in the booth? What the hell happened there? Seriously, was he taking a piss or something and missed it/couldn't review it?

There were like 19 fumbles in the game I think. We didn't recover any of them.

It didn't seem like it at the time, but on the post-game radio show during the stats rundown, I was kinda surprised to hear we held MSU to 53 rushing yards and just 1.8 yards per attempt. Longest run of the night was just 8 yards. On the flip side, we had 196 yards rushing and averaged 5.9 per rush.

Not sure how much it was mentioned in the broadcast, but the wind played a factor in the game, especially in the kicking/punting game and on some deep throws.

He wasn't going to win anyway, but AJ's Heisman chances are toast now. Which I don't care about... what I think sucks is, his chances at 1st team All-American are probably toast as well unfortunately. The bad part of that is, as some of you likely already know, without that qualification he will not be eligible for the College Football Hall of Fame. That, to me, would be a travesty, especially of he ends up with this 3rd BCS title in 3 years.

MSU fans really don't make that much noise, even with their cowbells. Of the noise that is made however, 90% of it comes form the students. That group is raucous when it wants to be.

They are adding on to their stadium, which I'm sure was obvious on TV and most already knew anyway... but they still had empty seats for the game. If you are going to have clusters of empty seats when you're playing the #1 team in the nation, then I can't imagine what that place is going to look like when MSU plays folks like Troy.

The entire MSU game atmosphere had a AA minor league baseball game/high school football game feel to it. Fire extinguishers used as players run out of the field house onto the field? Fireworks (cheap backyard ones at that) after scores? During a timeout late in the game, they even played, "Guess what cup it's under!?" And every commercial timeout, they have to honor someone or some team... Last years baseball team. This years diving team. Next years rowing team. The Asian handball team from the Veterinary College. The janitors at the student union who formed their own 3 man basketball team. It's like Upward sports over there... everyone gets a trophy.

Lee Corso is now 16-0 in headgear picks when picking USC. Well done fella. :icon_thumright:

I hope Rod Bramblett gets locked in syndrome.

Good assessment. I agree with the non-review of the INT - official was on coffee break. I didn't think it was close, but I never saw a reverse angle of his foot.

The only reason we win that game is defense. We'll improve slightly on our 10.6 ppg average, but if we're just a good defense (25th best or so), we give up twenty-plus and lose because of all of those turnovers.

I must say that many of the timeout crowd gimmicks (or in-between innings, quarter end, halftime, etc.) are becoming more standard. Bama does the which cup is it under now, too. We'll leave the cheesy fireworks fire extinguishers in Starkville.

RTR,

Tim

... but they still had empty seats for the game. If you are going to have clusters of empty seats when you're playing the #1 team in the nation, then I can't imagine what that place is going to look like when.....

The entire MSU game atmosphere had a AA minor league baseball game/high school football game feel to it.

Fire extinguishers used as players run out of the field house onto the field?

Fireworks (cheap backyard ones at that) after scores?

During a timeout late in the game, they even played, "Guess what cup it's under!?"

And every commercial timeout, they have to honor someone or some team.. The Asian handball team from the Veterinary College. The janitors at the student union who formed their own 3 man basketball team.

Hah hah.... now you know what I have to put up with up here in Canada. LOL.

Mississippi State always seems to bring out the worst in Alabama. It is virtually a standing trap game, sandwiched in between LSU and Auburn. The chronic mediocrity of the Bulldogs tends to lull everyone in to the expectation of a big romp by Alabama, but, instead, Alabama has to scratch, claw, and bite to come out with a win.

Last edited:
Good assessment. I agree with the non-review of the INT - official was on coffee break. I didn't think it was close, but I never saw a reverse angle of his foot.

The only reason we win that game is defense. We'll improve slightly on our 10.6 ppg average, but if we're just a good defense (25th best or so), we give up twenty-plus and lose because of all of those turnovers.

I must say that many of the timeout crowd gimmicks (or in-between innings, quarter end, halftime, etc.) are becoming more standard. Bama does the which cup is it under now, too. We'll leave the cheesy fireworks fire extinguishers in Starkville.

RTR,

Tim

Net punting should increase as well. Mandell had a good day.
From the stat thread:

Mandell still does not qualify for any punting rankings because he isn't averaging 3.6 punts per game. His average of 47.3 yards per punt would rank second in the nation.

without a couple of those turnovers, this is an entirely different game due to field position alone. even if Bama punts on a couple of those, we would have flipped the field against a team whose offense is not stellar.

Im not worried about their performance though. These guys really care about what they're doing. You could tell Drake was busted up about fumbling. That was not a lackluster performance as much as it was just one of those days.

If i was to pick on any part of the Bama game as being subpar it would be the play of the QB. Either he or the receiving corps or both were completely off Saturday night with the exception of one stretch of passes i think in the 3rd Qtr. too many bad throws on short routes. a few drops i recall also,.. the one by White being the worst probably.

anyway.. just a crappy game. a not so tough game hopefully against this next team and then the Barn who will likely be floating on marshmallow sandwiches after their "miraculous" bs catch against uga (who got smashed by vandy earlier in the year.)

I am not impressed with them. Alabama has exactly the type of linebackers and secondary that can shut down the veer. if you limit the veer, they basically have trick plays, reverses and mostly errant passes to defend.

rtr.

I thought the game had a typical MSU feel to it. A kinda Bama 70's win. The defense played just awesome with the turnovers they were dealt and Mandel is the best punter Bama has ever had and thankfully we don't get to use him too much. My only criticism is over the past few games, AJs footwork looks sloppy to me. He's throwing off his back foot a lot and not squaring up. Many quick passes may require this but if it becomes a habit, you can't get much on the ball or with great accuracy. I'm a little surprised that he's doing it.

I agree. I can't complain with his play but be hasn't been as comfortable and he's been a tad impatient. He's been off on the deep ball for several games now. I didn't get to see all the MSU game but against LSU he missed Howard, then Jones 2 plays later, then the flea flicker. He missed a few in the UT game as well. I think when he gets back on track with these we're deadly. He'll get it back on track too.

I thought the game had a typical MSU feel to it. A kinda Bama 70's win. The defense played just awesome with the turnovers they were dealt and Mandel is the best punter Bama has ever had and thankfully we don't get to use him too much. My only criticism is over the past few games, AJs footwork looks sloppy to me. He's throwing off his back foot a lot and not squaring up. Many quick passes may require this but if it becomes a habit, you can't get much on the ball or with great accuracy. I'm a little surprised that he's doing it.

Thoughts on AJ. It was after the Tenn. game CNS did elude to an injury AJ had to his elbow. Can't remember it being made public prior to that game. Did not say much about it but did say that is why he had trouble throwing the long ball. AJ was off that game as well. Just saying and wondering.

Thoughts on AJ. It was after the Tenn. game CNS did elude to an injury AJ had to his elbow. Can't remember it being made public prior to that game. Did not say much about it but did say that is why he had trouble throwing the long ball. AJ was off that game as well. Just saying and wondering.

I believe it was his shoulder (sprained or strained rotator cuff). I believe they mentioned postgame LSU that he hadn't thrown a long pass all week, and he was off with almost every long pass against LSU. I believe some of his problem against MSU was footwork and getting pressure, but he still seems to loft the ball a little more than he did earlier in the season. I hope he gets plenty of rest between now and aubrun.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom