| FTBL AP Votes by voter...

• Thread starter imported_Porter
  • Start date
What about this jacka** in Nashville, The Tennesseean..Mourice Patton???? Come on!

Team Rank
Southern Cal 1
Oklahoma 2
Ohio St. 3
LSU 4
Georgia 5
Florida 6
Texas 7
Auburn 8
Missouri 9
West Virginia 10
Kansas 11
Wisconsin 12
Oregon 13
South Florida 14
BYU 15
Arizona St. 16
Clemson 17
Texas Tech 18
Penn St. 19
Tennessee 20
Alabama 21
Illinois 22
Boston College 23
Virginia Tech 24
Wake Forest 25

I sent this email to Joe Biddle, a Tennessean columnist whose timing is excellent. He wrote an 8/23 article complaining about AP voter bias about an unabashed Bama fan from NC:

AP voter gives poll sour taste

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080823/COLUMNIST0201/808230360/1107

I copied David Climer and the sports editor as well. I figured I could give them a fresh scoop.

Mr. Biddle,

I enjoyed your 8/23 column regarding bias in the pool of AP football poll voters, particularly Taylor Zarzour of WPTF 680 AM, Raleigh NC.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080823/COLUMNIST0201/808230360/1107

Your column prompted me to look at the week 2 votes tallied by Mr. Zarzour. He looks to be in a reasonable range with other voters; however, I did note a voter who is a pronounced outlier when compared to his peers and head-to-head game results. The voter ranked Virginia Tech #24 and East Carolina unranked, despite the Hokies loss to the Pirates this past weekend. In another twist, he ranked Tennessee #20 and UCLA unranked. Finally, he ranked Clemson #17 and Alabama #21. Based on an honest assessment of these six teams' weekend performances, it is inexplicable that this writer arrived at an unbiased conclusion in his votes.

This voter is Maurice Patton, a writer for the Tennessean. You shouldn't have to travel far for the your next article on AP Poll bias.

The Tennessean sports staff should be embarrassed by such an inaccuracy. In the interest of unbiased reporting, a clarification should be published by Mr. Patton or someone from your department.

HE responded back to me

"I'm aware of what my vote was. I didn't have Alabama in my preseason poll, I'm still not convinced as to how good they are -- I think what happened Saturday was more about Clemson than Alabama -- and wasn't going to jump them ahead of Tennessee, since that's apparently your issue, after one week. You probably do make a good point about UCLA not being ranked, but I think it's dangerous to make too much out of one game, particularly one season opener that a team has a month to get ready for. Do you think East Carolina and Bowling Green should be ranked also?"

Nate said:
HE responded back to me

"I'm aware of what my vote was. I didn't have Alabama in my preseason poll, I'm still not convinced as to how good they are -- I think what happened Saturday was more about Clemson than Alabama -- and wasn't going to jump them ahead of Tennessee, since that's apparently your issue, after one week. You probably do make a good point about UCLA not being ranked, but I think it's dangerous to make too much out of one game, particularly one season opener that a team has a month to get ready for. Do you think East Carolina and Bowling Green should be ranked also?"

It's sheer arrogance for him to place his preseason expectations over actual game performances.

It Takes Eleven said:
Nate said:
HE responded back to me

It's sheer arrogance for him to place his preseason expectations over actual game performances.

East Carolina is a senior laden team that should be ranked.

He is clueless.

It is only dangerous to make too much out of one game because his beloved vomits lost.

My response to him was pretty simple..."My point is that Tennessee was HANDED that game on silver platter, yet still lost. I'm not understanding your reasoning behind putting them ahead of Alabama. So lets assume for arguments sake that Clemson and UCLA are equal teams. The difference in The Alabama game and the Tennessee game ( ie the reason TN lost and UA won) is the capitalization of the other teams mistakes. Thats something a good team does, and something a not so good team does not do. Alabama did it, Tennessee did not. "

And I told him yes ECU should at the very least be #25

He must be getting more than just a few emails. Our string:

Mo--

Alabama? If this were just Alabama, I'd be a whining homer. A cursory review of your votes shows six teams out of sync with the mass of writers. Are you saying a senior laden East Carolina team should be lower than VaTech in your pecking order for beating them at their own game? UCLA, despite their sloppy play, is still lower in your eyes than the team they beat? And yes, you believe Alabama warrants four positions below a team they beat soundly? If you believe Alabama's victory over Clemson was unimpressive because Clemson was overrated, why keep Clemson at 17?

Instead of your whining, I'd like to hear your rationale. If you just took the weekend off and did no research, that's fine. If that's the case, though, you certainly don't deserve to be one of the 65 voters.

Thanks,

Tim

--- On Wed, 9/3/08, Patton, Maurice <mopatton> wrote:

> From: Patton, Maurice <mopatton>
> Subject: RE: AP Poll Voting - Week 2
> To:
> Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 11:03 AM
> Tim --
>
> Geez, it's awfully early to be getting all cranked up
> over rankings, don't you think? Really? I mean, should
> Alabama be No. 1 at this point?
>
> ________________________________________
> From: Tim Rich
> Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:39 AM
> To: Patton, Maurice
> Subject: AP Poll Voting - Week 2
>
> Mr. Patton,
>
> Do you place greater importance on your preseason
> assumptions than actual team performance?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim Rich
>
>
> --- On Wed, 9/3/08, Tim Rich wrote:
>
> > From: Tim Rich
> > Subject: Fairness by AP Football Voters (Your 8/23
> Column)
> > To: jbiddle@tennessean.com
> > Cc: mopatton@tennessean.com, dclimer@tennessean.com,
> tnsports@tennessean.com
> > Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 9:55 AM
> > Mr. Biddle,
> >
> > I enjoyed your 8/23 column regarding bias in the pool
> of AP
> > football poll voters, particularly Taylor Zarzour of
> WPTF
> > 680 AM, Raleigh NC.
> >
> >
> http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080823/COLUMNIST0201/808230360/1107
> >
> > Your column prompted me to look at the week 2 votes tallied by Mr. Zarzour. He looks to be in a reasonable range with other voters; however, I did note a voter who is a pronounced outlier when compared to his peers and head-to-head game results. The voter ranked Virginia Tech #24 and East Carolina unranked, despite the Hokies loss to the Pirates this past weekend. In another twist, he ranked Tennessee #20 and UCLA unranked. Finally, he ranked Clemson #17 and Alabama #21. Based on an honest assessment of these six teams' weekend performances, it is inexplicable that this writer arrived at an unbiased conclusion in his votes.

This voter is Maurice Patton, a writer for the
Tennessean. You shouldn't have to travel far for the your next article on AP Poll bias.
> >
The Tennessean sports staff should be embarrassed by
such an inaccuracy. In the interest of unbiased reporting, a clarification should be published by Mr. Patton or someone from your department.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tim Rich
> > Kennesaw, GA

It Takes Eleven said:
He must be getting more than just a few emails. Our string:

Mo--

Alabama? If this were just Alabama, I'd be a whining homer. A cursory review of your votes shows six teams out of sync with the mass of writers. Are you saying a senior laden East Carolina team should be lower than VaTech in your pecking order for beating them at their own game? UCLA, despite their sloppy play, is still lower in your eyes than the team they beat? And yes, you believe Alabama warrants four positions below a team they beat soundly? If you believe Alabama's victory over Clemson was unimpressive because Clemson was overrated, why keep Clemson at 17?

Instead of your whining, I'd like to hear your rationale. If you just took the weekend off and did no research, that's fine. If that's the case, though, you certainly don't deserve to be one of the 65 voters.

Thanks,

Tim

--- On Wed, 9/3/08, Patton, Maurice <mopatton> wrote:

> From: Patton, Maurice <mopatton>
> Subject: RE: AP Poll Voting - Week 2
> To:
> Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 11:03 AM
> Tim --
>
> Geez, it's awfully early to be getting all cranked up
> over rankings, don't you think? Really? I mean, should
> Alabama be No. 1 at this point?
>
> ________________________________________
> From: Tim Rich
> Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:39 AM
> To: Patton, Maurice
> Subject: AP Poll Voting - Week 2
>
> Mr. Patton,
>
> Do you place greater importance on your preseason
> assumptions than actual team performance?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim Rich
>
>
> --- On Wed, 9/3/08, Tim Rich wrote:
>
> > From: Tim Rich
> > Subject: Fairness by AP Football Voters (Your 8/23
> Column)
> > To: jbiddle@tennessean.com
> > Cc: mopatton@tennessean.com, dclimer@tennessean.com,
> tnsports@tennessean.com
> > Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 9:55 AM
> > Mr. Biddle,
> >
> > I enjoyed your 8/23 column regarding bias in the pool
> of AP
> > football poll voters, particularly Taylor Zarzour of
> WPTF
> > 680 AM, Raleigh NC.
> >
> >
> http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080823/COLUMNIST0201/808230360/1107
> >
> > Your column prompted me to look at the week 2 votes tallied by Mr. Zarzour. He looks to be in a reasonable range with other voters; however, I did note a voter who is a pronounced outlier when compared to his peers and head-to-head game results. The voter ranked Virginia Tech #24 and East Carolina unranked, despite the Hokies loss to the Pirates this past weekend. In another twist, he ranked Tennessee #20 and UCLA unranked. Finally, he ranked Clemson #17 and Alabama #21. Based on an honest assessment of these six teams' weekend performances, it is inexplicable that this writer arrived at an unbiased conclusion in his votes.

This voter is Maurice Patton, a writer for the
Tennessean. You shouldn't have to travel far for the your next article on AP Poll bias.
> >
The Tennessean sports staff should be embarrassed by
such an inaccuracy. In the interest of unbiased reporting, a clarification should be published by Mr. Patton or someone from your department.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tim Rich
> > Kennesaw, GA

That's beautiful Tim. Let us know if you get a response. Patton's poll was so out-of-whack, even the Nashville morning sports radio hosts were complaining -- citing your three examples.

Back
Top Bottom