Any mechanics or car guys?

RollTideinGA

Proud Bama Grad
I saw something hanging down by my left rear wheel this morning. A metal tublar piece. Any ideas? I havent noticed it driving differently or anything.

Thanks!

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

Here are the pics. It looks like the piece popped out. I compared the left and right side.

From the back:
Whatisthis.jpg

Where it should be connected (see arrow):
Leftside-Wrong-whereitshouldgo.jpg

Connector on the other end of the piece that is hanging.
Leftsideconnecterbywheel.jpg

The right rear wheel side that is still intact:
Rightside-correct.jpg

I'm going to say it's a stability or sway bar. If that's what it is, it helps the car handle better in turns (stay "flat" with less lean in the curves). You might be able to notice the car being a little looser in the turns. Is the very end of the bar painted, or does it look like it cracked and broke in two?

'07 Altima rear sway bars apparently break, or the endlinks become loose, with some regularity...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_the_2007_Nissan_Altima_rear_sway_bar_be_recalled

http://www.truedelta.com/repair_histories.php?stage=pt&bd=Nissan&mc=222&email=Guest&session_code=

Unless your car is still under warranty, I'd recommend against taking to a dealership unless you're made of money. Find an independent shop you trust and have it fixed. If it looks like you can reattach it, perhaps you can do it yourself. If you remove it entirely, it could cause additional stress on other components, so I wouldn't recommend that.

Good luck.

RTR,

Tim

Okay, thanks. At least now I know what it is. Now I need to find a decent mechanic in the Acworth, GA area.

Wish I could help you. Even though I'm right down the road from you in Kennesaw, I go all the way to Sylacauga to Ogletree. They do anything we can't handle in our family. If anyone is in the North Shelby to Alex City 280 corridor, he's worth the drive, particularly for transmission work.

In Kennesaw, if you go down Cobb Parkway from Acworth toward Kennesaw, just past Mack Dobbs Road, there is a small mechanic literally under the Lottery Sign right next to the Vacuum place. You have to go down to Pine Mtn and make a U-turn to get back to him. He did some work for us several years ago, was reasonable and did a good job. He only takes new work by referral - tell him Tim Rich and/or Bob Remkus sent you.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom