| NEWS Alabama Soccer 2021: Tide opens '21 athletic season with 4-0 Win Over Jacksonville State

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama women's soccer team (1-0-0) came out victorious in Thursday's season opener versus Jacksonville State (0-1-0) at the Alabama Soccer Stadium.

Alabama came out firing in the first half with midfielder Reyna Reyes opening the season with a goal in the 10th minute of the game. The goal came off a deflection from JSU's goalkeeper after forward Ashlynn Serepca launched a shot at net. In the last 15 seconds of the first half, midfielder Macy Clem found herself in the center of the box, sliding to send the ball into the back of the net. UA led the half in shots, registering 14 compared to JSU's two.

After an hour delay at halftime, the Tide did not slow its pursuit. In the 46th minute of the game, Serepca notched her first goal in an Alabama uniform by capitalizing on a deflection from the Gamecocks' goalkeeper from six yards out. Freshman forward Leah Kunde registered her first collegiate goal in the 67th minute. The ball was redirected from a cross after hitting one of JSU's players. Kunde chased down the ball, spun and found the back of the net for the Tide.

From Head Coach Wes Hart​

"I was excited with the mentality we came out with. I was afraid we might overlook Jacksonville State and put our focus on Florida State, seeing that's a big game for us Sunday, but the group showed a lot of maturity and did not look past Jacksonville State. We came out flying tonight and I was really, really proud of that."

Behind the Box Score​

• Alabama took the advantage in shots, leading with 25 comparing to Jacksonville State's five
  • The Crimson Tide earned 12 corner kicks, while keeping Jacksonville State at zero for the match
  • Serepca led the team in shots, registering five with four being on goal
  • Reyes and Felicia Knox both tallied three shots on goal for UA
  • Goalkeepers McKinley Crone and Brooke Bollinger each made one save on the night
  • Kunde and Serepca captured their first goal with the Crimson Tide
  • JSU's Morgan Lerch made nine saves in the game
  • Alabama moves to 11-0-0 in the series against Jacksonville State
Soccer 8/19/2021 11:01:00 PM

Alabama Soccer Starts 2021 Season With 4-0 Win Over Jacksonville State​

The Crimson Tide beat Jacksonville State for the 11th- consecutive time Thursday night​

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama women's soccer team (1-0-0) came out victorious in Thursday's season opener versus Jacksonville State (0-1-0) at the Alabama Soccer Stadium.
Alabama came out firing in the first half with midfielder Reyna Reyes opening the season with a goal in the 10th minute of the game. The goal came off a deflection from JSU's goalkeeper after forward Ashlynn Serepca launched a shot at net. In the last 15 seconds of the first half, midfielder Macy Clem found herself in the center of the box, sliding to send the ball into the back of the net. UA led the half in shots, registering 14 compared to JSU's two.
After an hour delay at halftime, the Tide did not slow its pursuit. In the 46th minute of the game, Serepca notched her first goal in an Alabama uniform by capitalizing on a deflection from the Gamecocks' goalkeeper from six yards out. Freshman forward Leah Kunde registered her first collegiate goal in the 67th minute. The ball was redirected from a cross after hitting one of JSU's players. Kunde chased down the ball, spun and found the back of the net for the Tide.

From Head Coach Wes Hart​

"I was excited with the mentality we came out with. I was afraid we might overlook Jacksonville State and put our focus on Florida State, seeing that's a big game for us Sunday, but the group showed a lot of maturity and did not look past Jacksonville State. We came out flying tonight and I was really, really proud of that."

Behind the Box Score​

• Alabama took the advantage in shots, leading with 25 comparing to Jacksonville State's five
  • The Crimson Tide earned 12 corner kicks, while keeping Jacksonville State at zero for the match
  • Serepca led the team in shots, registering five with four being on goal
  • Reyes and Felicia Knox both tallied three shots on goal for UA
  • Goalkeepers McKinley Crone and Brooke Bollinger each made one save on the night
  • Kunde and Serepca captured their first goal with the Crimson Tide
  • JSU's Morgan Lerch made nine saves in the game
  • Alabama moves to 11-0-0 in the series against Jacksonville State

Up Next
Alabama heads to Tallahassee, Fla., where it will face top-ranking Florida State on Sunday, Aug. 22 at 12 p.m. CT. The game will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.

Back
Top Bottom