| MBB/WBB Alabama men’s basketball rises to No. 1 in Associated Press, coaches polls

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Alabama men’s basketball rises to No. 1 in Associated Press, coaches polls

For the first time in more than 20 years, Alabama sits atop the Associated Press men’s basketball poll.

The Tide rose from No. 3 to No. 1 in Monday’s poll, moving ahead of previous top-ranked Purdue and previous No. 2-ranked Houston. The Boilermakers lost Sunday to Northwestern, while Houston did not play over the weekend after blowing out Tulsa earlier in the week.

It marks the third time Alabama has been ranked No. 1 in the AP poll, which was established in 1948. The program previously held that spot on consecutive weeks, Dec. 23 and 30, in 2002.

Alabama received 38 first-place votes, with Houston sitting No. 2 with 22 first-place votes. Purdue slid to No. 3 in the AP poll with two first-place votes.

Alabama is the fourth team to earn the AP’s No. 1 spot this season. North Carolina and Houston both held that ranking until Alabama beat them both earlier this season. Purdue has been No. 1 in seven of the nine weeks since, with Houston returning to the No. 1 spot for two weeks in mid-January.

In the coaches poll, Alabama also rose two spots to No. 1 for the first time in the history of that poll, which was established in 1950. The Tide and Houston both received 15 first-place votes in the coaches poll, but Alabama received seven more voting points to secure No. 1. Third-ranked Purdue and No. 6 Virginia also received one first-place vote in the coaches poll this week.

Alabama beat a pair of unranked teams last week, routing Florida by 28 points at home before coming from behind Saturday to beat Auburn on the road, 77-69.

The Tide travels to play Tennessee on Wednesday night before hosting unranked Georgia on Saturday. The Vols fell from No. 6 to No. 10 in the AP poll after losing both of its games on buzzer-beating shots last week to Vanderbilt and Missouri. Tennessee fell to No. 11 in the coaches poll.

The AP’s No. 1-ranked team has lost seven times so far this season.

Alabama, at 22-3, has matched its program-best start from the 1974-75 season. It has never started a season 23-3. The Tide is 12-0 in the SEC, its second-best start in program history after it swept its 14-game conference schedule in 1955-56.

Alabama remains No. 2 behind Houston in the daily NET rankings used by the NCAA tournament committee.

AP top 10 (Feb. 13):

1. Alabama (38)

2. Houston (22)

3. Purdue (2)

4. UCLA

5. Kansas

6. Texas

7. Virginia

8. Arizona

9. Baylor

10. Tennessee

Mike Rodak is an Ala

I freely admit I’m not well versed in college BB but I can’t figure out why A$M isn’t even close to making the Top 25? I assume it’s because of a weak schedule but I thought the SEC had become a much better BB conference and they’re doing well in SEC play? I ask because there are only two ranked SEC teams and Auburn’s the only other team that’s close to making it. That sort of goes against the SEC being much stronger in BB … right?

I freely admit I’m not well versed in college BB but I can’t figure out why A$M isn’t even close to making the Top 25? I assume it’s because of a weak schedule but I thought the SEC had become a much better BB conference and they’re doing well in SEC play? I ask because there are only two ranked SEC teams and Auburn’s the only other team that’s close to making it. That sort of goes against the SEC being much stronger in BB … right?
Sorry … I missed Missouri. They’re the closest by far to being ranked.

a$m is #25 in Coaches Poll. Got 16 points and the barn none in the AP Poll. Loss to Wofford at home before conference play began has kept them down.

Last edited:
Thanks … I’ll look up what the various Quads represent. I assume they’re related to the strength of the team and whether it’s a home or away game. Though I’m not sure what the red, green and gray ^~ represent?
A green up arrow means that the team's NET rank is trending upwards compared to the previous rank, while a red down arrow means that the teams's NET rank is trending downwards. A gray neutral icon means that the ranking has not changed. The previous rank can be seen by opening the team's page. An opponent's current NET ranking is displayed in parenthesis next to the trending icon

Alabama is in the SEC conference and has a 7-2 Quad I record, a 6-1 Quad II record, a 6-0 Quad III record, and a 3-0 Quad IV record. The quadrant system is used to identify which teams have more quality wins when it comes to Selection Sunday for the NCAA Tournament. Beating a Top-30 Team at home is considered equally as difficult as beating a Top-75 Team away:
Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75.
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240.
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353.

A green up arrow means that the team's NET rank is trending upwards compared to the previous rank, while a red down arrow means that the teams's NET rank is trending downwards. A gray neutral icon means that the ranking has not changed. The previous rank can be seen by opening the team's page. An opponent's current NET ranking is displayed in parenthesis next to the trending icon

Alabama is in the SEC conference and has a 7-2 Quad I record, a 6-1 Quad II record, a 6-0 Quad III record, and a 3-0 Quad IV record. The quadrant system is used to identify which teams have more quality wins when it comes to Selection Sunday for the NCAA Tournament. Beating a Top-30 Team at home is considered equally as difficult as beating a Top-75 Team away:
Thanks. I've seen the NET ranks, but wasn't exactly sure how the quadrants were delineated.

Last edited:

See if someone comes up with a quad system for CFPs in a year or so

Thank you!

Thanks … I’ll look up what the various Quads represent. I assume they’re related to the strength of the team and whether it’s a home or away game. Though I’m not sure what the red, green and gray ^~ represent?

thankyou_32.png

Go on road with the SEC homie officials and win....
Thats an awesome tribute...
RTR
Yeah, and Wofford is now 13-14 (5-9) in the Southern Conference. Samford is in a 3 way tie at the top at 18-9 (12-2) with one of their two conference losses to Wofford. :rolleyes:

When Wofford beat a$m, I remember thinking they wouldn't win a game in SEC play. Wrong! They have played well. And Bama's last stop is there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom